What would you do?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sal365

Reaction score
I am a bit scared to post this incase anyone thinks I am discriminating but I need some advice on a delicate situation please. I had a text conversation with a lady about shellac nails and spray tan (I am mobile btw) and she has said that she has Asperger's syndrome and learning difficulties. I know from my previous line of work that there are hugely varying degrees of both and I guess it's easier to make a judgement call when the person is there in front of you. She had trouble understanding that the treatments she was asking about were £20 each so 2 treatments would be £40 and that as a special offer 3 treatments is £45. We spent a good hour going over this. In my old job I would have then asked if she needed an appropriate adult at this point which is a bit rude in this circumstance. I just feel a bit concerned about doing the treatments. Would you do it? Will my insurance cover me? Obviously I could get there and discover that her condition is very mild but without asking potentially offensive questions I won't really know! She said she will contact me next week if she has enough money. I am in no way discriminating please don't shoot me! I am probably being too wary as in my previous job it was the more vulnerable end of the learning difficulties scale that I dealt with.

It sounds to me that, given your background, you are the perfect tech for this prospective client, and will deal with her professionally.
I don't see anything wrong with casually asking if anyone else will be present whilst you are at her house (I take it you are mobile) and if you have texted her all the pricing information she now has it in black and white and should have that to refer to.
I think you have it all covered, so stop stressing and wait and see if she books you.

In short yes I would do it. If you've worked with people who have learning disabilities and Aspergers before as well that gives you some knowledge. Now it would seem she manages her own finances. It could be the concept of the deal you have that was taking time for her to work out and be sure of. When she comes I would perhaps write down what she has and the cost and both you keep a copy if you're worried. I believe that Aspergers means difficulty with social interaction and also take things very literally. A tendency to like routine too. That's why maybe the offer you have was the issue. I don't want to tell you what you may already know but i think you should do it yes!

Hi! As a mother with a son with aspergers I think I have a bit of an insight as to how to approach this, as you've already said there is a massive scale varying from severe to very mild functioning autism. From what I can gather the girl seems to be quite high functioning, the fact that she wants to take care of her appearance is great! She may have a slight problem with managing her finances, she may have someone who helps her with this, I know what you mean when you say you didn't want to ask her if she had another adult with her, as you don't want to hurt her feelings in anyway. As you have experience with autism and learning difficulties I think you are the perfect tech for the job, if you have some spare time before you make the appointment I would talk her through the steps of the treatments explaining what exactly is going to happen if you can, therefore eliminating any chance of something unexpected happening, things like describing how she will have to take off clothes for a tan and the sound the gun will make, about the lamp you will use has a bright light and a sound, but that it's completely safe. I know you can't prepare her for every part of her treatment, but explaining what will happen will help her immensely. As for insurance I'm not sure, but I don't see why it shouldn't? I'm sure an insurance company couldn't discriminate that way? Be friendly, smile, but don't expect her to smile, even if she doesn't look happy doesn't mean she isn't. I hope she enjoys her treatments with you, you sound very caring and the fact that you asked us for advice is evidence of this.

Sarah xxx

Thanks everyone, I know I am probably just being over cautious. Thanks for the advice Sarah, yes I think I will allow an extra half hour for her appointment so I can do a thorough consultation with her before I start anything. :)

What a lovely considerate post my brother has aspergers an the previous lady practically covered most of the vital points with sound and routine. My brother is very blunt so if she is don't be offended. But I think you should do it you sound so caring xxx good luck

Latest posts

Back