What would you do?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Xx-melo-xX

Reaction score
Just had a phonecall from a fashion editorial photographer who has seen my work on my fb page and wants me to come work on his next photo shoot! Never done anything like this before! only thing is I would have to travel 3 hours there and back and wouldn't want to go on my own (as obviously I've never met this bloke before!) he said he can fund travel expenses but didn't mention about actually paying me for doing the hair but as it would be my first photo shoot of this kind (he doesn't know that tho) I wouldn't mind not being paid as I'm more excited about given the opportunity. Please let me know your thoughts :) xx

Who does he work for? I'd be trying to find out a bit more about him.

He is freelance but also works for a local magazine. He has sent me links to his work pages which have his work portfolio on them x

Have you googled him?
If he works for a local magazine him name will appear in the article pictures, I guess I'm sceptical lol, if he's freelance too surly he'd have s website for magazines ETC to contact him.
Just getting sent links to portfolio would ring alarm bells. Unless I've read it wrong.

I'd certainly be vetting him a lot more.

Find out what type of shoot and let him know your rate for the shoot. If he's getting paid, why shouldn't you? He came to you remember.

Good luck x

Have you checked if you're being paid as in most cases, you won't be. If you are traveling three hours there and back, are you being compensated for fuel etc?

I still do the occasional shoot but as most of the time, editorial isn't paid, only advertising that is, I won't do them if it involves long travel time. If you're building your portfolio/ book up and you've researched the photographer go ahead but that much travel??.... And they tend to go for a long time. 12 hours or more! I have a family now. The last time I did a shoot I had to take my twins with me! And it was burlesque!!

Personally, if it's legit and he isn't going to turn to you and say "Now its 3K to buy the prints!" - which some do, I'd go for it. Firstly, I'd ask him for some recommendations from people he's done this for. As the skeptic in me feels that if it's too good to be true, it usually is.

However, if it all checks out and seems legit, it will only benefit you my love!

x

Latest posts

Back