What's expected of a trainee nail tech?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jayne717

Reaction score
I recently sent my CV to a local nail and beauty salon asking if they had any Trainee positions available. They have called me today and offered me an interview (hooray!). I am now wondering what standard will be expected of me as I know I am not at a very high standard with nails yet. I trained late last year with Salon Systems, which i now regret as, after speaking with an experienced nail tech, I don't feel like I have been taught very much by them! The nail tech has spent a few hours with me showing me some different techniques which i am now using and I have changed to NSI products (saving to convert to EZ Flow or CND) and my nails are definately turning out better than before, but still not perfect! I am also qualified in other beauty treatments which I feel more confident with.

If you were looking for a trainee what would you expect from them?

I think the most important thing about being a trainee is being keen to learn.

You will not be expected to do perfect sets of nails, but if I was the employer in this situation, it would be important to me that you either had a firm grasp of how to keep the natural nails healthy, or you were willing to learn (and do your own research in your time off).

I'm sure it will be more important to your employer that you have great people skills and basic knowledge, and more importantly you were able to prehaps forget some of the skills you have been taught previously and adapt to my way of doing things.

Good luck with your interview xx

just go in with the confidence and enthusiasm to learn and work hard. when i went for my first job in a salon, which was as a trainee, i took along examples of my tipping and product application using my nail trainer. this actually made me stand out as i was the only person to do this, which put confidence in my employer that i would be worthwhile hiring and for her to invest in my training. just an idea if you do have a nail trainer.

when i first started my job, it was very much watching how the other girls worked. then alot of practising on myself and the other trainees that started. i was also given majority of any repairs for one nail that came in. i was also allowed to have my sister come in to have her nails done for free before i was having any paying customers booked in with me. this all just gave me a bit of practise. i also used to take my nail trainer into work with me to practise on, which again showed my enthusiasm to learn. it was very hard work to start with as i was so slow and kept going over my allocation of time given for each appointment!! it all comes together with time though. xx

Last edited:
Great advice - thsnks so much! xx :hug:

Latest posts

Back