What's the kindest colour removal method?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Starboltz

Reaction score
Ok so this is an example and not for a client at this present time.

Say someone came in with years of colour build up and you needed to remove it, which method is the most gentle and which method is better for the task overall?

1.Effasor
2.Bleach and peroxide
3. Bleach bath

It would depend on the integrity of the hair?
I might bleach and peroxide the darkest part. Then a bleach bath to even up?

I've never used a colour remover so I'd be nervous about using one. ,

Personally, none of those suggested options if you're removing serious build up. I might bleach bath black tint briefly to lift cuticle and budge the tone a bit.
A decent colour remover works well if used properly and doesn't compromise the integrity of the hair.
Effasor is bleach based so I wouldn't bother with that but use a bleach bath instead. Bleach bath contains peroxide otherwise without the peroxide (just lightener & shampoo), it will just lift out tone.

Have you done any training on colour correction? It would be worth doing so, if not. You need to understand the science behind the colour, if you're going to use a remover effectively.

I got a lv2 box dye for years to a good lv.8N in 1 sitting by using a good decolouriser, I use Solaris Demaq with h20-30vol. shampoo,dry then bleach 20-30vol depending on hair shampoo dry hair then non-hydrolysed keratine(to penetrate hairshaft healing from inside-out) mixed in with target shade 10mins after mixing with 10 vol to bypass the lifting stage making it a true deposit only color. You can clear coat it after with a lo-non ammonia clear coat after too for good lasting power as I always tell correction clients that the first time it may fade quickly and they will need to come back sooner for a second staining at a value price as followup then it will wear as regular color fadeage wise!

Seconding AcidPerm here, a colour remover is the best option for permanent tint removal. Bleach baths have their uses, but if you cant get box dye out with a colour remover a bleach bath usually wont do the job either. Ive only had that problem once mind and that was a heinous amount of black xxl build up, bleach was the only thing that would cut it at that point, nothing else worked.
Affinage eraser, rusk elimin8, goldwell system remover are all good brands, not expensive and save you getting that rainbow effect that you get with using bleach. Just make sure you follow the instructions to the letter.

Latest posts

Back