When did you feel competent in nails after qualifying?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ClaireJones

Reaction score
I've just done Nail harmony fusion arcylic course ( do Gelish to ). At the minute I'm not yet confident enough to add to my price list and charge full amount, I know it's just practice when ever I can. How Long did you feel happy with your work? My smile lines are frustrating me :( x

Good question - looking forward to reading responses.

It depends how you define competent. I've been qualified for 8 years and I can still see areas I would like to improve on. I guess you mean how long is it before they're good enough for the paying public, and this would very much depend on a few things. I felt able to charge for my nails after I had qualified and practiced on my family and friends for about a year. I built up to it gradually, firstly working on my family and close friends for free, then extending it to my wider circle of friends, as they became reasonably decent I started to charge £10 to cover my materials and give me a bit besides to re-invest in materials and training. After a few months I was working on family, friends, friends of family and friends, and their friends, etc etc! Then I made the move to the salon, so it wasnt a clear cut move from practicing to doing it professionally, it was a gradual process of evolution as my skills grew.

You will always look at your nails and think "there's room for improvement", the moment you stop doing that you have big problems to be honest because there's always room for improvement!! So, dont wait until you hit perfection or you will never move on. There are certain basics you need to get a good grasp of eg smile lines, apex, c curve, product going very near the eponychium but not touching it etc, thorough prep etc. The important thing is to continue to invest in your training, and to keep practising regularly.

I remember reading an article in scratch magazine where it said it takes 10 years to become a proficient nail tech. I know there's areas in my extensions that could improve on, namely apex and I forget to pinch even after 8 years of doing nails. It seems all very easy to do just one nail perfectly, but doing all 10 nails on a paying customer perfectly is a very different story.

Having said all that I get very rare complaints so I must be doing something right :biggrin:

Latest posts

Back