when to say no?!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blondeprobe

Reaction score
I have a new client who came to me for two replacement nails for a set she had done in another town (she's recently moved) natural tips, polished scarlet red and I commented at the time that her nails are very thin. To which she replied "I've had acrylics for 20 years, that's what happens..they come off, I get a new one on..that's life".

Since that initial visit she has become a regular coming every week. Each week she has one or two nails completely missing..some that I have applied & some that her previous tech has applied..and seems to accept it as the norm, but I don't!! I use NSi balance gel and I don't have any other clients returning with such regular breakages & it's doing my head in! All I get is "it came off, love..and her husband, who makes every appointment :irked: , makes some sarcastic remark about nail 'glue' not being what it was!

She has them very long, even though she rides and mucks out her horse every day! :| I have suggested having them shorter.."but they were this long with my previous tech..." I have suggested lavishing them with cuticle 3-4 times a day..but she still comes back with dry cuticles and 1 or 2 nails completely off!

My worry is..with such thin nails..am I doing her a disservice by applying new ones every week? will she get to the point where her nails cannot withstand enhancements?

Any suggestions would be more than welcome! :irked:

just bumpin this up cos i have a client v similar

awaiting the voice of experience..:Kissing:

Sounds to me like she is wearing her nails too long for her lifestyle, one or two break and then she picks the rest off. If you wipe over her nail with your dehydrator you will see where she has picked off the enhancement (the nail plate will be shredded and bitty). This is all the evidence you need to get her to admit that she picked the rest of the product off. Then gently guide her through the education process of the damage she is doing to her nails. If she doesn't want to shorten the length, then ask her if her farrier advised her that her horse needed two different shoes on the front feet from the back for the health of the horses hoof, would she take his advice.....then just say to her 'lets go for it, keep them a bit shorter and see how you get on.
David

Well you can take the professional high ground and say that you won't work on them anymore as it will get to a point where there will be no nail left to work on. The trouble is if she's been having nails for 20 years I think she will just go somewhere else that could do more damage which leaves you in a bit of a dilemma. Does she stay or does she go? And only you can decide that!

If it were me, I'd sit and have quite a bit of a chat before starting her next appointment .... and the nect and the next til she gets the message. Tell her that things have moved on in the last 20 years and as you are a caring professional you really need to work with her to get the best for her. If she wants them that long then she is going to have to work with them not against them so they don't break. I have a client who jet ski's, has a horse and so on, but she rarely has problems because she knows how to look after them.

See this client as a challenge that you will help to get the best for her and get her to come to your way of thinking. As we always say, having nails is a 2 way partnership between tech and client and that you care as much about the health of the natural nail as how well her enhancements last. if she just is plain stubborn and you feel her nails get to a point that it is not professional - or indeed insurable - to continue then suggest she seeks another tech because you are not prepared to see such damage.

As for the husband, just tell him not to give up the day job, cos being a comedian just ain't working for him!

Sounds to me like she is wearing her nails too long for her lifestyle, one or two break and then she picks the rest off. If you wipe over her nail with your dehydrator you will see where she has picked off the enhancement (the nail plate will be shredded and bitty). This is all the evidence you need to get her to admit that she picked the rest of the product off. Then gently guide her through the education process of the damage she is doing to her nails. If she doesn't want to shorten the length, then ask her if her farrier advised her that her horse needed two different shoes on the front feet from the back for the health of the horses hoof, would she take his advice.....then just say to her 'lets go for it, keep them a bit shorter and see how you get on.
David

Thank you..wonderful idea! I'm thinking that something 'horsey' might just get the message home! :green:

As for the husband, just tell him not to give up the day job, cos being a comedian just ain't working for him![/quote]

Of if only I dared!! lol :eek:

Thank you so much for your advice, i'm thinking a long, long discussion with this lady too! I really don't want to continue as we are, because I worry about the ongoing condition of her natural nails..maybe we will have to part company..then at least the worry won't be mine..but then i'll worry what's happening to her nails anyway, so maybe be best to try to educate the lady?!

Hmmm..one of those easy decisions then!

Hmmm..one of those easy decisions then!

Sure is!!! :lol: At the end of the day you have to do what you feel is right. I have clients who listen, and those that don't! I do warn them that if it gets to a certain stage that I won't be prepared to continue working on them ... and I have done so on a few occasions. But I think this one will be a real challenge and may take a bit of persuading over a few months. I would have a bit of a joke with the hubby though " I know you just can't get the staff these days can you" or something like that!

I think it's because she does bring hubby, that I find it a little more intimidating..two against one! Will get my professional head screwed on tight and let you know how it goes after our next appointment next week!

thanks again :hug:

just bumpin this up cos i have a client v similar

awaiting the voice of experience..:Kissing:
what problems are you experiencing with your client?

I do agree with all the above suggestions and ideally she would wear them shorter BUT if she won't she won't, she'll go elsewhere if you don't do them. She's certainly not a good advert for you at the moment.

I had a lady similar to this and since I swapped her over from Balance to l&p she hasn't had a problem, it's just tougher. Most people are fine with the gel but some need extra strength cos they're heavy handed. I'd still try to get her to have them a bit shorter though.

Latest posts

Back