Where do i start ,And am i to old ??

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morado

Reaction score
Hi i usually ( well no not been around for a while due to work) hang around the Nail and Skin Forums but i started out in Hairdressing i never fully qualified due to family problems and moving a long way from my salon, and lack of confidence in taking the top salon jobs i was offered ( young and silly but although was very confident looking to others was full of nerves ).

Anyway I'm now nearly OMG !! 30, and i still keep my hand in hair and beauty I'm hoping to do some training for nails and eyelashes soon.

But I'm still keen on hair i do genuinely love it i still do put ups for friends there friends and so on for proms and weddings, and keep being told I'm waisted and need to get back in there and start again.

Well the more i think on it the more id like to, but have no idea where to start or if I'm too old to start again??.And i have no idea where i can re train, id ideally like to go in to college but i was told I'm too old to do the full time nail course as its aimed at school leaver age( long story but although i got an interview after arguing a bit.i was left thinking they only offered it me to shut me up ) So I'm worried about if I'm to old to do this.

Sorry this is long lol iv been mulling this over for a few weeks and only just decided to ask what other people think:)

NO WAY......you are never to old to do anything. If its something you really enjoy then go for it and I can not believe that you were made to feel like that by a college. I'm 2 now did my level 1 and 2 when i left school but then things happened and I never did my level 3 did beauty then and I am just going back to college now to finish my level 3 because I have always wanted to do it. I have always felt so passionate about my hair and nails. Just keep looking around and dont let any remark knock you back, maybe ask your local hair retailer if they know any courses or go back to the college and complain about how you were treated, college is ment for people of all ages and shouldnt just be for school leavers. I know somebody who started college at 45. Any way all the best let us know what happens xx:)

I'm devastated at the thought of you being too old at 30 as I am now 36. I am just waiting to hear back from college to see if I have been accepted onto their level 2 hairdressing course. I had my interview last wednesday and I was by no means the oldest, don't get me wrong I wasn't the youngest. My college do a mature course which is for over 19's. They told us that they prefere the mature students because they know we are really interested in the course other wise we wouldn't be there wasting our own time. I'm a complete novice in hairdressing so you would have a definate advantage as you have already done it but due to personal circumstances was unable to finish. They should see you are serious as you wouldn't put yourself through the training again. Hope you find some where to finish your training, don't give up you may regret it in years to come.

anyone any age can go to college.

a lot of full time courses are aimed at younger learners and this might be something to do with funding (I'm not sure but I think the government helps fund young peoples first set of qualifications)

I suspect it depends on the college because in my research I have found that what each one can offer regarding courses for different ages varies a fair bit.

If I was offered a place on a course that would get me to where I wanted to be, I would jump at the chance. Maybe a lot of people would say that you will find it understimulating being there with the younger learners (maybe a few of whom don't really want to be there so mess about in class etc) but meh, this is about you and where you want to be so don't feel too old to train and embrace the opportunity.

For what it's worth I did an adult make-up course at college this year and at 22 I was the youngest one there. There were loads of people on the course who were well over 30. The same was the case when going to the nvq2 beauty sessions at carlton

Thank you xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I think iv missed this years deadline for my college?, They do an adult advanced course so i think it will be that one i go on?, but like i said after the nail course fiasco i have seriously had my confidence knocked !!,But ill call the local college ( although might be closed for holls so will probably have to wait a year ).

Its just a shame i can only find that one i know all the top salons offer it but they cost a huge amount to do and to be honest id like to do a college course first then do a top up course with Vidal Sassoon .but first steps first and all that lol xxx

I agree with the others. NEVER TOO OLD! I am 38 & I re-trained last year. I took a six month intensive course (full time) & loved it.

Don't get me wrong, building confidence (through good practice) is key & it's confidence that has been my biggest demon but I get better every day :)

We all have to start somewhere & there are always going to be people better or worse at hairdressing than ourselves but we should try not to compare & focus on what we need to learn/improve.

It is the best decision I ever made & it's been a roller-coaster journey but immensely enjoyable; I have never been so enthusiastic about anything or felt so challenged at times.

Go for it! Sounds like you have some natural talent there.

Darren :)

Well i just rang derby college and asked if i was too late to apply as they do a adult fast track course which i think is the one id have to do ,to see if I'm too late to apply he seemed to think not !! but put me threw to the department and there all on there dinner lol so I'm waiting a call back ,fingers crossed lol

thank you for all your advice.I'm going to try to get back in to it i was very (blow my own lol) good at it but i was young and inwardly shy ,two kids and a business later I'm far from that and i think it would probably be the right time to try again as i do love the industry and now have the maturity to put my all in to it xxxx

To late to apply ,i have to wait till next May, ohh well xx

aw thats a shame you were too late in applying - you could maybe do some short courses like the ones wholesalers offer (sallys, capital) and especially if youve done hair before you could do some cutting and colouring courses?

Latest posts

Back