Which gel and why?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

velevetcu

Reaction score
I did a UV gel nails course today and we used shellac which I really liked.

Anyone got any reasons why I shouldn't stick with shellac?

Shellac isn't a gel. It is a gel polish. Two different systems. You get acrylic , silk fibre , gel and gel polish. Personally I don't agree with nail houses doing training because you don't get full scope of all systems available , where as beauty college you have to do all 3 systems plus product training which gives you the student a better foundation and also you are a nail technician and just need to do a conversion product course as opposed to being just a technician qualified in one product only. However in saying that the std of education given by nail houses with international acclimation is of a very high standard and their back up and sales support are usually just as good.
Perhaps I am just old school , did it the long way round.

Beauty at your finger tips!

Your profile doesnt say were your from? Or any other qualifications?

Firstly, shellac is not gel/gel polish, its a power polish.

Secondly, the only place in the UK (unsure about other countries) that you will get genuine Shellac training
/products is CND Creative Academy/SweetSquared :)

Other than that, everybody raves about shellac, you might aswell stick to a well known good brand that youve trained in :-D

Hth xxx

Well, first, CND Shellac is a gel polish (check your MSDS) albeit a hybrid one. Power Polish is just a very effective marketing term. And there are lots of good reasons to pick one of the many excellent brands out there. One of the salons I work with did a quick "cheat sheet" to help the others. Here's what they came up with -

CND Shellac – excellent removal, focused on salon professionals, best training/education and customer support, excellent colors, great marketing and market penetration “Shellac” has become generic for gel manicure; no LED cure, only one lamp, very proprietary, slow release of colors, lasts only 2 weeks

HNH Gelish – incredible range of colors and great effects, base/top can be used with other brands' color coats, very durable with acetone resistant top coat; poor quality control, lots of inconsistent colors, fading separating, thickness issues – we are doing their quality control for them!

OPI GelColor – great base (with solvents) and top coat for easy removal, huge range and products, amazing iconic colors with matching rnp, good education, incredible market penetration; must be mixed very well, shrinkback.

IBD Just Gel (also EZFlow TruGel and Supernails ProGel) – incredible range of colors and effects, excellent price point, good formula; base coat is hard to remove, limited education and marketing, less known to clients

Artistic Color Gloss (ACG) – excellent fashion-forward colors, very sophisticated, excellent formula (thin but creamy); limited color range and the worst color swatches ever, some faders, limited education and marketing, less known to clients

LeChat Perfect Match – great strategy matching gel and rnp (but hard to figure out in terms of retailing), great color range (especially pinks) with unique and well calibrated colors, mood collection, very shiny top coat; base coat is hard to remove, limited education and marketing, less known to clients

Jessica Geleration – great colors with matches in rnp, excellent training/education; base coat is hard to remove, limited education and marketing, although a well known brand to professional less known to clients

There are more brands on the market than when we did this, but you get the idea. And there are other reasons to consider including an existing relationship with a vendor, client preferences, accessibility of product, etc. HTH.

Well, first, CND Shellac is a gel polish (check your MSDS) albeit a hybrid one. Power Polish is just a very effective marketing term. And there are lots of good reasons to pick one of the many excellent brands out there. One of the salons I work with did a quick "cheat sheet" to help the others. Here's what they came up with -

CND Shellac – excellent removal, focused on salon professionals, best training/education and customer support, excellent colors, great marketing and market penetration “Shellac” has become generic for gel manicure; no LED cure, only one lamp, very proprietary, slow release of colors, lasts only 2 weeks

HNH Gelish – incredible range of colors and great effects, base/top can be used with other brands' color coats, very durable with acetone resistant top coat; poor quality control, lots of inconsistent colors, fading separating, thickness issues – we are doing their quality control for them!

OPI GelColor – great base (with solvents) and top coat for easy removal, huge range and products, amazing iconic colors with matching rnp, good education, incredible market penetration; must be mixed very well, shrinkback.

IBD Just Gel (also EZFlow TruGel and Supernails ProGel) – incredible range of colors and effects, excellent price point, good formula; base coat is hard to remove, limited education and marketing, less known to clients

Artistic Color Gloss (ACG) – excellent fashion-forward colors, very sophisticated, excellent formula (thin but creamy); limited color range and the worst color swatches ever, some faders, limited education and marketing, less known to clients

LeChat Perfect Match – great strategy matching gel and rnp (but hard to figure out in terms of retailing), great color range (especially pinks) with unique and well calibrated colors, mood collection, very shiny top coat; base coat is hard to remove, limited education and marketing, less known to clients

Jessica Geleration – great colors with matches in rnp, excellent training/education; base coat is hard to remove, limited education and marketing, although a well known brand to professional less known to clients

There are more brands on the market than when we did this, but you get the idea. And there are other reasons to consider including an existing relationship with a vendor, client preferences, accessibility of product, etc. HTH.

Im not shellac trained but everybody i have been in contact with has said it is not a gel polish. Not long after i first joined SG i replied on a thread saying shellac was just another gel polish brand..........well i had a ton of geeks tell me how it wasnt a gel polish and got enialated for saying it! Xx

Shellac is a hybrid polish but yes is a type of gel polish. It is not gel. Gel is used to extend the nail, you cannot do this with shellac.

Im not shellac trained but everybody i have been in contact with has said it is not a gel polish. Not long after i first joined SG i replied on a thread saying shellac was just another gel polish brand..........well i had a ton of geeks tell me how it wasnt a gel polish and got enialated for saying it! Xx

While I would agree that CND Shellac is not just another a gel polish, it is inaccurate to say it isn't a gel polish. CND Shellac does have some unique attributes, but I think most gel polishes would argue that they have similarly unique attributes. CND calls it a "power polish" but that really is a marketing term, I think initially to distinguish it from gel nails and later from other gel polishes.

Thank you for your help. I did mean gel polish not gel extension and I did discuss with the tutor the difference between shellac and other products.

Also, what about gellux?

Gellux is limited in colours and the hardest gel i have used to remove

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek mobile app

Thank you, that's what I've heard from other people too.

And any feedback from nsi pro polish? I used it and love it esp with their new base coast. Colours last and range is extensive price is about same as gelish. Led cure so it's mega fast soak off is 10min tops and acetone resistant topcoats so we as therapists can use t as well as hairdresser and not have polish effected which is fantastic :) and they now have a Matt topcoats woop woop u can also add ur glitters to this so it's awesomeness to do art with.

And any feedback from nsi pro polish? I used it and love it esp with their new base coast. Colours last and range is extensive price is about same as gelish. Led cure so it's mega fast soak off is 10min tops and acetone resistant topcoats so we as therapists can use t as well as hairdresser and not have polish effected which is fantastic :) and they now have a Matt topcoats woop woop u can also add ur glitters to this so it's awesomeness to do art with.

I too would like some feedback on polish pro. Have searched on here and not found much relating to it? xx

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek mobile app

Latest posts

Back