Which Hairbrush?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

naturalnails

Legend
Reaction score
What are the different brushes for?

Does it make much difference which one you use?

I have problems with my daughters hair, it always seems tuggy almost to the point of being matted. She has it quite long - middle of her back - and I wonder if the brush we use is not helping.

We use a Denman vent brush?

I am at my wits end and almost at the point of getting it cut off but she would hate me forever LOL.

Fiona~
Are you brushing her hair out when it is wet or dry?
Are you using a good detangler and /or leave in detangler?

My theory on brushing a young ones long hair out is the less bristles going thru the hair, the better.

When the hair is wet, do not touch her hair with a brush. Use a wide tooth comb.
When brushing out dry hair, use a vent type brush or a very very soft bristle brush. Soft bristle brushes bend when they encounter tangles and do not "grab" the hair entangling it in bigger tangles.

always start at the ends of the hair and work up towards the scalp. Most people want to hurry up and get it over with and start at the scalp.
All this is doing is bringing any tangles down to the mid section the those tangles mix with the next tangle and you then have a bigger tangle to work out towards the ends of the hair.

Hope that isn't too confusing.. :D

Fiona~
Are you brushing her hair out when it is wet or dry?
Are you using a good detangler and /or leave in detangler?

My theory on brushing a young ones long hair out is the less bristles going thru the hair, the better.

When the hair is wet, do not touch her hair with a brush. Use a wide tooth comb.
When brushing out dry hair, use a vent type brush or a very very soft bristle brush. Soft bristle brushes bend when they encounter tangles and do not "grab" the hair entangling it in bigger tangles.

always start at the ends of the hair and work up towards the scalp. Most people want to hurry up and get it over with and start at the scalp.
All this is doing is bringing any tangles down to the mid section the those tangles mix with the next tangle and you then have a bigger tangle to work out towards the ends of the hair.

Hope that isn't too confusing.. :D

Thanks Jayne,

I use a wide toothed comb when the hair is wet. I use detangling or smoothing shampoo and conditioner but not a leave in one.

I brush her hair with a vent brush when dry but I am guilty of the hurry and get this over with mum type of movement LOL.

It is lovely and smooth and silky when she goes to bed but when she gets up in the morning it is tuggy again.

I will try the tip to root brushing from now on.

Ooh this brings back memories of me gran using a wire brush on my and my sisters hair when we used to go stay - it hurt really bad but we were too scared to say!

Start by brushing the ends out first and work upwards - I used to do this when my hair was long and thick (and very tangled)

I swear by a paddle brush that i use from Aveda,and have had it for years:green:

I use it on wet hair after conditioning,and use it to brush conditioner with.

As my hair is fine and can damage easily,i also use a detangling conditioner after wards,one with preferably no silicone oils as it doesnt coat the hair and make it lank.

Sorry guys,im not a hair professional but ive always sworn by my paddle brush,it always goes in my overnight bag together with my toothpaste:lol:

Latest posts

Back