Which tips for my ski-jump FINGERS?!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bimbogeri

Reaction score
Actually, all joking aside folks.... I've done my first 1/2 set on myself (half a set because for some unknown reason I couldn't get any bl**dy tips to stick on my right hand yesterday... tipped 'em before, so I guess I was just having a bad day - I hope!) and it's made clear to me how I have very stupid ski-jump fingers!
And I do mean to say fingers, not just nails!
I guess I'd kinda noticed before but not paid much attention till I started doing nails: now, when I've gone to work on and look at my enhancements from the side view, I see how awful they are!
skijumphand.jpg
skijumpfingers.jpg

My nail itself seems to be growing absolutely fine in terms of attatchement to the nail bed, it's just that it follows the shape of my stupid fingers (I blame years of typing from an age where my fingers were still young and maleable... note to self: do not give own children computer from the age of 5...).
As such I've found building a shape into my nails in terms of apex really hard. The c-curve and top view seem OK but from the side they are flat and sloped.
I'm sure I read in one of my books or catalogues about using tips with an extreme curve to them will help this, and a brand of tips that boasted the same, but I can't work out for the life of me where. I've gone through my literature but must be being blind....
Can some of the geeky gurus please give me a hint as to how to try and recify this, like i said, from top and front nails look ok, but from the side I look like a witch!!

PS - just before anyone think my dad was awful for letting me use a PC at the age of 5, it's because I was, and always have been, writing stories and articles, not PC games... :D Not that that probably makes my eyes any less square!!!

Hi There,

Have you tried to sculpt? My sis has ski jump nails and i always sculpt hers, and they look lovely!

Michelle x

I tried fitting forms (to my right hand, hmmm!) yesterday when I couldn't get the tips to stick, but no dice. I have been taught scultping for repairing chipped corners but not for a whole nail, and to be honest I don't think I could manage it.
Plus right now as I'd trimmed my nails right back to stick on tips, there isn't enough of a free edge to tuck the form under... I'd love to learn how to sculpt, though, as I'm not too hot on blending on myself!

I always pre- file and blend the tip prior to adhering, this makes it so so much easier to blend when the tip is actually stuck on. You can also use gel bond im not sure if you have used this before, but its a gel adhesive from creative, which you apply to both the tip and the nail plate, and you can put as much or as little pressure on it to stick as you require. You can use gelbond, then instead of really holding the tip onto the nail plate while it sticks, you can just put a tiny bit of pressure so the tip sticks to the nail giving a more "normal" appearence. Does that make sense to you?!
Then just make sure you really have a good apex to give the nail a nice shape.

Michelle x

Hi Babe

I would use a tips with a gentle arch, take off most of the free edge pre blend tip so you have minimum contact area and place tip on nail gently sloping downwards with gel bond and carry on with your overlay also one thing to remember is that the tips will need soaking off and a new set about every six weeks to keep the shape.

Hope this helps.

Take care Dawnie x

Dawnie hit the nail right on the ski slope then lol............. I found this in our archives............ the geeky bowls of wisdom also known as the search facility lol..................

I would use the tipping method rather then the sculting method...........
If a nail has a severe jump then the product build up would be huge in order to correct this........
Much easier to angle the tip to the desired degree and keep the product thin and natural looking..........

Hope this makes it easier to understand xxx
31Ski_Jumpgeek-med.jpg

Hiya Ruth, thanks for the link. I think that's the same pic that I've seen in Marian's book I just wondered if there was a particular tip that would work best, such as one with more of a curve to try and counteract the slope.
Right now I'm using Nail Order Naturel tips that have a cut out well area, and have filed my free edge back as far as it will go, but should I be reducing the contact area even more?
My nails themselves don't really swoop up at the end like those in the pic, really they're quite flat along the side view (C-curve is average-to-flat), but because my FINGERS themselves point upwards, my nails do too. It's not so much correcting the end of the nail as the whole bloomin hand :) At least to my eyes most of the problem seems to be coming from the finger rather than the nail itself, but as a newbie I appreciate that I may be looking at them wrong :)
These are some pics of the same hand, minus enhancements (so pretty short and stubby!) Please excuse the remains on gel on them, I haven't finished buffing yet :D
stubbyfinger.jpg
stubbyhand.jpg

On both hands the problem is most pronounced on the middle finger.

You know, the more I look at my hands, the more I think they look horrible...
"The bells, the bells!"
:D
I'd just never really looked at them sideways before I started all this, they look OK otherwise.
Have been looking at the Nail Order Sea Curve tips of the Pronails Fix Fantastic tips which seem to have more of a curve to them, would people recommend either of these? I guess the trouble is finding one that is more curved down the length, as it were, without having a more extreme c-curve as I'm not sure I could get them to fit.

I would use a velocity tip........ when applying the tip, check from the side to make sure you get the angle right.........

Dont get a tip that is to curved or you will end up with a hooknail effect......
Just for some more info................ are your fingers relaxed or are you stretching your hand right out, do you have very supple joints............???

Hiya Ruth,
That is my hand stretched so it's a bit more obvious, but they're pretty much the same when relaxed... my manicure trainer did comment on it!
I have pretty supple joints as I'm used to typing a lot :D

LOl thought so, I have a client with the same sort of fingers as you lol............
I use velocity on her and angle the tip just slightly, as the jump is only very obvious when her hand is fully stretched...........and that only really happens when she is looking at her nails lol..............
She also has the ability to move her thumb so far back that it nearly touches her wrist......it's genetic with her.....lol she calles it her party trick.....

Cheers Ruth, I'll give that a try and vow never to look at my nails from side on again :D
Have to say, I'm not so supple as to bend my wrist that far back, but I can twist my wrist round 360 degrees with my palm flat on the table which always freaks people out.
I shall blame too much time on the PC!
(Not that that will stop me being on here the whole time...)

Hi,

my husband also has fingers like that and recently has been to the physiotherapist for them, she has given him exercises to try to stop his fingers doing it or he will have problems when he is older. She said he would have been born like this,

Sarah

Latest posts

Back