Which type of hair salon as a beginner to work at?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chertel

Reaction score
So I'm not fresh out of beauty school. I graduated in 2013 and got licensed in 2014. However I decided to do nails instead of hair once I graduated. Now I enjoy nails but well, I did go to beauty school for hair mostly, and it was lots of fun doing hair too! However I'm a bit rusty. I still know the basics so I'm trying to go for a franchise salon that also provides training to get me back in shape. But I found one salon that seems nice but I don't think they offer training. I know I need to practice more cuts and colors. Its not a high end salon just a "very busy walkin cutting and coloring Family Salon". In the wanted description they say its a good place for beginners to learn a lot but I'm worried that since I haven't done hair in a while I might do bad since I tried doing hair cuts for Great Clips but I guess I took too long so they never called back. Can someone give me advice to get past this doubtful feeling? I'd want to work in a salon that does color services because I want to learn more but for those privately owned salons if I need help with a haircut or color they will help me if I don't know something? Or will it just look unprofessional to the customer if I ask for help....

Get a few blocks, and do the cuts on them, go in order of one length, then rounded layers, then 180 layers then uniform cuts. Those are the basic, but try to get as many cuts out of them as possible, you will need to learn quick, at least in the uk, they won't teach you very much in school and you have to learn the shorter things yourself through trial and error. Colour is very straight forward imo, at least the standard full head foils and whole head colour, or foils and colour, the theory you pick up as you go on and I'm sure a manager or colleague will help in the meantime. In the U.K. you can join a training salon which also trains people to get their qualification. You get faster through time, I'm still training, I started training at 2 hours for a basic feathered long layer cut, now it takes me 45 minutes. Look up videos on YouTube of difrent cuts, get decent scissors, find a comb that works for you and clips to. There is no substitute for plain old practice

I've never heard the term rounded layers before.

I've never heard the term rounded layers before.
That's just what I've been thought theyre called, my teacher is a hairdresser of 3 years, she often makes things up . You've just got to go along with it sometimes and get that paper at the end of it. It's similar to a uniform cut, but done on much longer hair, gives you a bowl effect

That's just what I've been thought theyre called, my teacher is a hairdresser of 3 years, she often makes things up . You've just got to go along with it sometimes and get that paper at the end of it. It's similar to a uniform cut, but done on much longer hair, gives you a bowl effect

your teacher has only been hairdressing 3 years?????

Yes! And shes head of the department, she makes all the decisions!

That is absolutely crazy! To me she doesn't have nearly enough experience on the floor in a salon to be teaching. Making things up isn't going to help you to become a knowledgeable hair stylist. It doesn't sound right to me tbh :/

Also in regards to your original question, I have worked for the larger scale salon and smaller family run salons and I would never work for a large company again. I felt like I was just another number to them, so impersonal and didn't give very good training. With a smaller business they tend to look after you a lot better and perhaps even get one on one training with senior stylists in the salon.

That is absolutely crazy! To me she doesn't have nearly enough experience on the floor in a salon to be teaching. Making things up isn't going to help you to become a knowledgeable hair stylist. It doesn't sound right to me tbh :/

Also in regards to your original question, I have worked for the larger scale salon and smaller family run salons and I would never work for a large company again. I felt like I was just another number to them, so impersonal and didn't give very good training. With a smaller business they tend to look after you a lot better and perhaps even get one on one training with senior stylists in the salon.
I'm doing an apprenticeship, luckily I have a drive to learn more than what I probably need to, and my salon owner is a stylist of 26 years and often coaches me 1 on 1 to get the best out of me, if she didn't help me and I didn't go out of my way to learn, I wouldn't have even realised how much rubbish my teacher talks most of the time. I'm now on track(hopefully) to finish lv 2 with flying colours!

Oh dear.

She isn't making it up and you will do well if you pay attention and learn from her.

There's round, triangle and square layers.

This is normally the stuff you learn on advanced cutting courses though and not level 2 basic cutting, where they tend to use a generic term, uniform layers. Most hairdresser's are not taught the technical difference between these cuts.

So am I correct in thinking that section is what determines the layer type e.g. Horizontal sections for an a-line consist of triangle sections/layers and round layers consist of a round section following the piratol ridge?

Oops meant to write diagonal lines for a-line Bob

Oh dear.

She isn't making it up and you will do well if you pay attention and learn from her.

There's round, triangle and square layers.

This is normally the stuff you learn on advanced cutting courses though and not level 2 basic cutting, where they tend to use a generic term, uniform layers. Most hairdresser's are not taught the technical difference between these cuts.
She may know thechnical names for things, but she doesn't knows how to do them or most of the theory, I've caught her off guard several times reading from textbooks as she doesnt know the things she's supposed to teach, she's taught me several 'wrong' things that I've had to be corrected on in the salon, my boss has been working for 26 years and has never proven wrong before, st least practically, I do listen to my teacher, but I've learned much more from my salon, experience, and research. Thanks anyways!

Latest posts

Back