White tips, gel not staying!!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yip, you can use white gel to create a french on a natural nail (natural nail overlay) or tip. Don't worry about asking questions. None of this was covered with the first people I trained with to get my initial Diploma. I had to do additional training with another company and was secretly embarresed that I had only been taugth the very basics. Ask loads of questions, its the only way you'll learn. There are loads of very talented nail technicians on here (who have helped me loads) and Im sure they'll be only too happy to help you. I would advise to keep continuously training, you always come away having learnt something new. :hug:

Hi Waffle4,
I didnt think you were supposed to blend the white tips as it would blend away the sharp smile line wouldnt it?
My course was 2 full days, (i had already done a manicure course) so it involved, contra-indications, nail prep, tip application (natural tips) blending, gel application and maintenance.
They didnt cover well less tips
Jo
x
Hi Jo didn't mean to sound harsh, they should've really showed you all tips but then again 2 days isn't long to cover everything. Anyhow with regards to your current prob, yes you can very gently buff with a white block to smooth down but to be honest I'd say white tips aren't worth the hassle coz I've got a rebalance tomorrow of white tips and I'm gonna have to file them back anyway and reapply my paint on white gel over the smile line do I wish I'd never done the flipping tips to start with!. Only did them coz my neighbour said they were a one off set just for a party!! Xx

Yip, you can use white gel to create a french on a natural nail (natural nail overlay) or tip. Don't worry about asking questions. None of this was covered with the first people I trained with to get my initial Diploma. I had to do additional training with another company and was secretly embarresed that I had only been taugth the very basics. Ask loads of questions, its the only way you'll learn. There are loads of very talented nail technicians on here (who have helped me loads) and Im sure they'll be only too happy to help you. I would advise to keep continuously training, you always come away having learnt something new. :hug:

I must admit I'm seriously considering doing another gel extensions course with someone else. There are very talented and helpful people on here, you being one of them. :hug:
Thank you
X

Hi Jo didn't mean to sound harsh, they should've really showed you all tips but then again 2 days isn't long to cover everything. Anyhow with regards to your current prob, yes you can very gently buff with a white block to smooth down but to be honest I'd say white tips aren't worth the hassle coz I've got a rebalance tomorrow of white tips and I'm gonna have to file them back anyway and reapply my paint on white gel over the smile line do I wish I'd never done the flipping tips to start with!. Only did them coz my neighbour said they were a one off set just for a party!! Xx

Aah you didn't sound harsh :) 2 days isn't long enough is it. I'm beginning to realise how many different scenarios and problems there can be. I will probably take the same route as you and not use the white tips much. Having said that I will try to master them.
Thank you for your help and now I'm off to bed! :)
X

I must admit I'm seriously considering doing another gel extensions course with someone else. There are very talented and helpful people on here, you being one of them. :hug:
Thank you
X
I've posted a thread tonight coz I'm worrying about the rebalance with the flipping white tips tomorrow!!! Honestly, you're much better perfecting white tips with gel, I'm not gonna be talked into white tips again unless it really us as a one off set with no rebalances argh!!!!

Have you looked into using other gels? As I know the edge isn't great to work with .... Xx

Aye Jo, thank you so much :o, but Im definitely no expert compared to others on here! It was only when I did a conversion course with a more reputable company that I realised how much I DIDN'T know. I love training and learning new things, I get a real buzz out of it. Don't be embarresed about anything you havn't been taugth yet, thats not your fault. Its like learning to drive, we all start off at the same level, knowing zilch, it's up to us where we want to end up. Save up, invest your money in a really good company and keep training. Good luck in the mean time, keep questioning and keep practicing. xx

Have you tried with clear or natural tips?

I haven't read all replys so if this is repeat, I'm sorry.

I read that you are using a LED light to cure gels that are UV curable. That is problem 1. If your gels are made to cure with a UV lamp, that is what you should be using. The wavelength of UV light vs LED light is different.

Problem 2. White tips are opaque, causing the light to not be able to penetrate and cure the gel. You may need to cure them longer, or apply in thinner layers. I have found that its best to use clear tips and apply white gel in thin layers to create a French. Some companies make white gel paint that you "paint" on like polish.

Problem 3. If you are having problems with your gel not curing, (besides not using the correct lamp) it could be your bulbs. I change my bulbs quite frequently, about every 3-6 months. After repeated use, UV bulbs tend to lose their output, so bulb changes are necessary to ensure you are getting a even and complete cure.

Hope this helps! Happy gelling!

Hi everyone, thank you all so so much for your thoughts and advice. I wanted to let you know that i tried again tonight with the white tips and used my uv lamp to cure it, and i now have a beautiful set of French nails. :)
So I was being a bit stupid trying to cure uv gel with an led lamp, but I was led to believe by the seller that it would cure the gel! :(
I am so happy with my result, but am mindful of people's advice about using white gel as opposed to white tips and all the rebalance problems.
Again thank you! :)
Jo x

Ah thats brilliant Jo, xx

Hi everyone, thank you all so so much for your thoughts and advice. I wanted to let you know that i tried again tonight with the white tips and used my uv lamp to cure it, and i now have a beautiful set of French nails. :)
So I was being a bit stupid trying to cure uv gel with an led lamp, but I was led to believe by the seller that it would cure the gel! :(
I am so happy with my result, but am mindful of people's advice about using white gel as opposed to white tips and all the rebalance problems.
Again thank you! :)
Jo x

oh bless you hunni.. it wasnt you being stupid was misinformation... what brand of gel are you using.. if it is a known brand then am sure there will be a tech who has used or is using that one that can give you some more help.. also most brands have there little group in the groups section too..

am glad you had a good result for all of the advice on here.. dont be afraid of asking though..

Sarah x

Hi, Im new enough as well with gel. We were taught to use well-less tips or ones with shorter wells then file down on the well part of a tip before its placed on the nail so as to not damage the nail plate but also to thin out the tip so it is barely visable before you start building the gel. I use the ENP system and even on the first nail I did still hasnt budged..almost 4 weeks ago although I have infilled it since...also you need to use a UV lamp for UV gel as LED is for the likes of Shellac etc. Did you buff all the shine off the nail bed then use your gel prep before you applied the tip? I use 2 coats of prep to make sure I have dehydrated the nail properly.

Hope this helps, as I said Im not an expert but I feel that I had an amazing tutor and have the confidence because of the training Ive recieved. :)

Latest posts

Back