Whitening - is it possible?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fabapocalypse

Reaction score
Hi all, my first posting so please be gentle with me!

I was a terrible nail-biter for years but am pleased to say that I have been "clean" for the last seven years and have been making a real effort to look after my nails.

They still sometimes get a little weak and I have the odd problem with peeling, but polished up they don't look too bad now... but when they're "naked" it's a different story.

My nails look a little odd - I think the years of biting have had the effect of "pulling away" the free edge from the plate, so that I have a relatively short "pink bit" and a relatively long "white bit". This is slowly improving as the years go by and they still look a heck of a lot better than when they were gnawed nubs, so I can live with that, but: they are also yellow...

I religiously use good quality basecoat and polishes (OPI, China Glaze, Nails Inc) but they are still yellow! I have tried a couple of high street whitening tablet things, without any improvement, and something called Orly Cutique, a cuticle-cum-stain-remover which has helped a little but not much. I haven't bothered with the various lemon juice/toothpaste theories you hear about as they don't sound effective enough and I'm a little lairy of using anything with hydrogen peroxide in on myself.

I would love to be able to wear more sheer polishes and maybe French but constantly keep my nails covered with more opaque polish.

I enjoy having salon treatments but like a lot of people am on a limited budget so must choose carefully; is there anything out there which would help my nails look cleaner and healthier again (and give me a bit of a pamper into the bargain)?

Many thanks for any help!

Anyone?

Is there a salon treatment available I can ask for at my next appointment to take the yellow out?

Anyone?

Is there a salon treatment available I can ask for at my next appointment to take the yellow out?

You can get Nail Whitening products. Rimmel do a Nail Whitening pencil and there are Nail Whitening Scrubs available online

H x

I have staining to the whole nail, though, even with the use of good base coats - the whitening pencils don't do a lot for that (or stay in place very long!). I've also tried paint-on optical brighteners but they tend to make things look a bit blue and odd, but they don't remove stains and don't give the same staying power when used as a base coat as the purpose made ones :confused:

Are the scrubs any more effective than the fizzy tablet ones you can get from Superdrug and the like, do you know?

Must admit I've never been offered whitening as a salon treatment, so I did wonder. But the yellowing is something I feel a bit self conscious about so was kind of hoping!

Latest posts

Back