Who uses a primer when applying Nail Enhancements?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MissJulesBeauty

Reaction score
Hello

I wondered who actually uses a primer when applying acrylics or gels?

I have read a couple of posts from techs in the past who seem to hate primers. I have always used one and have never had problems. I am running low on primer and have today placed another order with NSI for a few bits including balance bond primer and attraction primer. It got me thinking about why people don't use them and if in fact they have any benefits. Of course NSI say it is essential but is it?

Your thoughts and experience would be much appreciated.

Many Thanks
:|

I always go with what the manufacturer recommends to ensure I get the best results :)

I don't use it, not cause I don't like it but simply as CND doesn't need it, NSI does :)

I use CND Nail Prime with CND Radical Solarnail and have no problems. The one time I forgot to apply the primer to one hand, I had lifting when the client came back for her rebalance, so I think it does do benefit the service.

HTH

Sam xx

I use NSI and always go with the primer. I always mean to do a with and without test on my own nails to see if it does make a difference but never actually end up doing so.

It's what NSI recommends so if there were problems having not used it their advice would be that is where the application has gone wrong.

Hi all, am a newbie, what does a primer actually do? Can it be harmful or bad for the natural nail?
Thanks

I use a non-acid primer aka protein bonder for both my L&P and UV Gel.

I started with the primer, but didn't get on with it.

THEN I accidentally had some run under my nail and along my hyponichium.
OMG:Scared: It @#$%^&*( burned!! Stuck my finger in a glass of milk for quite a while.

Right there and then, I ditched the primer.

I tend to be klutzy sometimes. I figured if I could burn myself, I'd burn someone else. I'd rather avoid that risk.

Many get on with is just fine with great results.

IF you're getting on fine with primer, stick with it.

The NSI balance bond primer is acid free. Can't comment on the attraction system as I only did my gel training with them.

the nsi attraction primer, is also an acid free primer, so shouldnt burn. :)

i have a client who is allergic to the primer so dont use on her. she always has a breakage every infill but i use it with all other clients and very rare they have lifting or breakages x

Primer is used for most systems for adhesion and nothing at all to do with whether a client has a breakage.

I have never used a primer since 1994 when CND Radical came out. I use only CND and their systems do not require primer unless your application technique is not the CND recommended technique (in that case using it is optional). I do not even own a bottle of primer .. less cost .. less time ... very glad I do not have to use it.

Primer is used for most systems for adhesion and nothing at all to do with whether a client has a breakage.

I have never used a primer since 1994 when CND Radical came out. I use only CND and their systems do not require primer unless your application technique is not the CND recommended technique (in that case using it is optional). I do not even own a bottle of primer .. less cost .. less time ... very glad I do not have to use it.

You know what? I still use primer out of sheer habit. Guess I can stop it.

Thank you for all your comments geeks, I think I will continue to prime, NSI primers are non acid and have never had a problem with burning x

I use NSI too, and always use balance bond.

Hi Geeg,

I'm slightly confused now as during my Fondation + CND course I did with Pamela in Febuary this year, I was taught that Radical monomer does not covalently bond to the natiral nail plate and to use Nail Prime with it.

I just went and double checked my CND Fondation book I got from S2 with my kit and on page 30 it says

"Retention+ and Moxie sculpting liquids have a unique convalent bonding ability that fuses the nail enhancement to the natural nail plate. A covalent bond is twice as strong a bond as you would achieve using conventiona; acidic primers or not usinf a primers at all. NailPrime is designed to create the same type of bond as Rentention+ and Moxie to the natural nail plate.

Radical sculpting liquid is optimised for toughness and does not covalently bond to the natural nail plate like Rentention+ and Moxie. Therefore it is recommended to use NailPrime on all of your Radical applications."

The book is dated August 2009.

Could you clarify which is the case?

Thanks Sam xx

Last edited:
Hi Geeg,

I'm slightly confused now as during my Fondation + CND course I did with Pamela in Febuary this year, I was taught that Radical monomer does not covalently bond to the natiral nail plate and to use Nail Prime with it.

I just went and double checked my CND Fondation book I got from S2 with my kit and on page 30 it says

"Retention+ and Moxie sculpting liquids have a unique convalent bonding ability that fuses the nail enhancement to the natural nail plate. A covalent bond is twice as strong a bond as you would achieve using conventiona; acidic primers or not usinf a primers at all. NailPrime is designed to create the same type of bond as Rentention+ and Moxie to the natural nail plate.

Radical sculpting liquid is optimised for toughness and does not covalently bond to the natural nail plate like Rentention+ and Moxie. Therefore it is recommended to use NailPrime on all of your Radical applications."

The book is dated August 2009.

Could you clarify which is the case?

Thanks Sam xx

As I said, primer with Radical liquid is OPTIONAL ... it is quite right the bond is not covalent, but that is one reason I love it as I do not pick at my nails so I do not need a covalent bond ... I prefer to not have covalent bonding on my personal nails.

The fact still remains, that I do not now and have never used primer of any kind with Radical liquid and if you know how to prepare the nail plate surface well, then you do not have to use primer with radical monomer. Students do not know haow to prepare the nail plate as well as a seasoned old vetran like I am, so acid free primer is recommended to help and aid them .... but no one don't NEEDS it if their prep and application are spot on.

Latest posts

Back