Why, oh why?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nemo

Reaction score
I have just paid $35 (plus $5 tip) to have a soak off (I did them before I left the UK) and re-apply of Gelish.

It was a discount salon and spa and I probably should have walked away when I asked to see the Gelish colours and was presented with 20 or so colour wheels. I had to be quite insistent it was Gelish I wanted. I was told they're all Gel, like Shellac.

Soak off took around 30 minuets and included WET prep. I know, I know!! And then 15 minutes to paint both hands using an 18g Gelish lamp. I've never seen a base coat applied quite so thick!

I have Gelish all over my cuticles, on the side walls and way under the free edge where she capped. They feel very thick and some feel bumpy. I mean, her application of Gelish was by the book (apart from the thickness), it was her attention to detail that scored 0/10. Oh, and she blew on my nails after the final cure of TIO??????? From a distance they look okay... I doubt they'll last more than 4-5 days though.

So, $40 later I am asking my fellow geeks... Does anyone know where I can get a decent Gelish Manicure around the Venice, Santa Monica area?

Thank you in advance xx

Last edited by a moderator:
I tipped because it's not the poor girls fault she doesn't do it as well as I want her to do it. Last time I came to America I had Gelish and it was just as bad. I went in and complained, they took it off and put it back on and it was marginally better.

I will definitely be taking my kit away with me on every holiday from now on!

But it is the girls fault if she is not performing a service to a professional standard- either you should have stopped it and said you were not happy to continue or spoke to a manager.
Perhaps when people stop rewarding for shoddy service these techs won't have a job and every salon might start putting decent service at the forefront of the salon objectives.
Might sound harsh but I don't understand why people pay, tip and all throughout the service know its below standard and not to your satisfaction or to a professional standard at any level

Thanks for your comments so far... Does anyone know anywhere in Venice Santa Monica where I can get them done to a higher standard?

They look okay, they just don't look as good as I would have done them and therefore they're not good enough. It's not her fault she's not to the standard that I expect.

It's sounds like she's not to a standard most people would expect...

Maybe google for salons in the area and see what comes up.

Venice beach, lucky you. I was there last year and loved it. Have you tried looking round 3rd street promenade, there is also a shopping centre up there, so bound to be some nail places I would of thought. X :)

p.s if you haven't all ready been, go to hotel Erwin rooftop lounge at sunset, it's amazing. Best to call and book before hand, just say you want a table for sunset and they will let you know the best time to book for. Their passion fruit mojitos are yummy ;)

Thanks! I'll be sure to give that a try x

Does the Gelish website have a salon locator? If so, I would try that. :)

Yes it does! Why didn't I think of that :hug:

Latest posts

Back