Will myhairdresser.com help me finish my NVQ II?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OBIC

Reaction score
Hi

Just wondered whether any of you lovely hair geeks can help me out.

I'm coming to the end of my (well hopefully) NVQ II hairdressing and feel ok on pretty much everything but cutting. Has taken time for me to have the confidence for anything to be honest but finally feel pretty confident on everything but cutting. Don't really feel that I've covered this at all! The class is at all different levels so it's not as if we are doing one thing one week and another thing the next! Also I'm not working in a salon as I'm 37 so I guess I'm not seeing things on a daily basis which would probably be helpful.

Not that impressed with the college in all honesty and not a lot of other people are but it has improved a little in the time I have been there but did have the principal making noises a few months back that I should hurry up as she won't be able to have me there for much longer! I have paid privately to do it.

We finish up soon for the summer break and I'm hoping to have finished everything but cutting which I will return to do in September. My question is, do you hair geeks think that subscribing to something like www.myhairdresser.com would help me over the summer break to return in September and maybe find it a bit easer to finish off? Obviously going to get through a few blocks in the process.

Thanks in advance.

ax

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't really know about that site, so can't really comment. Maybe a pure cutting course would help? Most of the big companies run them, and a week focused only on cutting with a good teacher would bring your skill level up a huge amount.
Also maybe volunteer to do some work experience for free in the best salon near you. Watching and helping very experienced stylists would be terrific experience for you.

I agree I think spending time in a salon with someone watching them perform and answer questions will really help boost your confidence. No question is a dumb question.

I don't really know about that site, so can't really comment. Maybe a pure cutting course would help? Most of the big companies run them, and a week focused only on cutting with a good teacher would bring your skill level up a huge amount.
Also maybe volunteer to do some work experience for free in the best salon near you. Watching and helping very experienced stylists would be terrific experience for you.

Thanks Dawn, I often ask after you! Now I've got you worried haven't I!

I did try and get some voluntary work but it was quite difficult. I started to go into a salon recently near me, the couple that own/run it are lovely but it is a bit of a granny joint. That is fine but the day that I could do and was best to go in is a lot of sets so not much going on really.

Yes maybe that is what I need to do. Find a cutting course and just stomach the cost. I have paid a lot already but I know I really enjoy it but my confidence is just holding me back. At least that way I could concentrate on that part.

Thanks.

ax

I agree I think spending time in a salon with someone watching them perform and answer questions will really help boost your confidence. No question is a dumb question.

Thanks, yes I probably should go around/ring around again or maybe try and get in on a different day in the one I have been going to when it is less of a 'set' day.

You can go around to different salons and ask to sit in there and watch I have girls out of school come in our salon and just watch sometimes its cool we promote to be comfortable before running out and doing it anyways. Good luck.

Is cutting part of the course you're doing now? If so i'd be wondering why they'd pass you on something you don't feel confident at (you've paid to learn it). If i were you though i wouldn't subscribe to any online training, better having someone qualified beside you giving you pointers, and helping you correct mistakes lol As the others say, find a proper cutting course

Do I know you in real life?

If you are in Surrey, maybe worth doing your work experience in one of the London Salons. If you work for free they will often pay your expenses.

Do I know you in real life?

If you are in Surrey, maybe worth doing your work experience in one of the London Salons. If you work for free they will often pay your expenses.

I would happily work for free but have found hairdressing to be quite ageist compared to beauty. Not sure whether any London salons would be prepared to do it, do you think they really would.

Is cutting part of the course you're doing now? If so i'd be wondering why they'd pass you on something you don't feel confident at (you've paid to learn it). If i were you though i wouldn't subscribe to any online training, better having someone qualified beside you giving you pointers, and helping you correct mistakes lol As the others say, find a proper cutting course

No they haven't passed me on any cutting yet. God help anyone that got a haircut from me at the mo!!! Yes think I'll have to look into cutting courses only.

To be honest, I don't know as I have never tried to fix up w/e for somebody older. It's got to be worth a try.
There are lots of nice salons in Surrey which are not old lady focussed. You need to be in a salon which focusses on cutting.

You'll find somewhere that'll take you. I'm 31 and someone i'm doing my course with is 38? i think lol and another is 51 we've managed to find salons 1 day per week. In general they're not as keen on older juniors tho (you're right they are more ageist in hairdressing). It may be a bit more difficult, but far from impossible, be positive and go for it. No harm in asking. Maybe it's different in my area, but i did cutting in level 2. I'm afraid i don't know where the best place for you would be. You could ask in salons near you where they learned to cut

To be honest, I don't know as I have never tried to fix up w/e for somebody older. It's got to be worth a try.
There are lots of nice salons in Surrey which are not old lady focussed. You need to be in a salon which focusses on cutting.

You'll find somewhere that'll take you. I'm 31 and someone i'm doing my course with is 38? i think lol and another is 51 we've managed to find salons 1 day per week. In general they're not as keen on older juniors tho (you're right they are more ageist in hairdressing). It may be a bit more difficult, but far from impossible, be positive and go for it. No harm in asking. Maybe it's different in my area, but i did cutting in level 2. I'm afraid i don't know where the best place for you would be. You could ask in salons near you where they learned to cut

Thanks I'm sure I'll get there eventually!

Latest posts

Back