Wish I had a spare room

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sunflowerfi

Reaction score
I'm in the process of starting up a mobile massage and holistic therapy business but wish that I had the option to also work from home to or even a room to rent part of the week which I could set up and have the option of offering less 'portable' treatments in.
I have a big garage but cannot afford a conversion and would be unable yo remortgage to release funds without going through the application with my ex husband as he's still on the mortgage.
My living room is a big through lounge so no spare space.

I'm going to be in the same boat, I'm just finishing college and plan to do beauty treatments alongside my non beauty job. I'm going to have to be mobile due to renting a property, but would love to work from home or a log cabin type set up, that's my aim eventually. Good luck xx

Why is it, all 'newbies' opt for mobile or home based???o_O
Contact your local salons and see if they have a room/station/area that they are willing to rent to you.
Job done!:cool:

Why is it, all 'newbies' opt for mobile or home based???o_O
Contact your local salons and see if they have a room/station/area that they are willing to rent to you.
Job done!:cool:

I'm sure not all 'newbies' as you say opt for mobile/homebased and anyway, does it matter if they do? I'm sure it's down to each individual's personal circumstances. I personally can't afford the overheads of renting a room when just starting out and it's a big commitment when you're trying to find your feet in the industry. Everyone was a 'newbie' once remember!

Well said! Thanks Lisa32 xx

I'm sure not all 'newbies' as you say opt for mobile/homebased and anyway, does it matter if they do? I'm sure it's down to each individual's personal circumstances. I personally can't afford the overheads of renting a room when just starting out and it's a big commitment when you're trying to find your feet in the industry. Everyone was a 'newbie' once remember!

The term 'newbie' was used to describe someone who is new coming into the industry....:)
As such, I'd imagine the newly qualified has yet to build themselves a clientele, not so easy in this flooded market.

With this in mind, I personally would think their best route, would be, to work within an established salon, possibly a hairdressers, where they will already have a regular flow of customers.
This is what I do in my salon.:cool:

My newly qualified nail technician is self employed, and at the beginning of her new profession.
As she is building, I have given her a rent free period, to include use of my salon, towels, tea/coffee, equipment,products, etc.....
Depending how things go, we will negotiate a FAIR rent.
I want my nail tech to do well for herself, and I want to offer my hair clients an extra service :D

Wow I wish I could find s place like that. I'm not adverse to renting a room if the right opportunity came along. I'm still working full time (term time only) at the moment so I'm doing clients evenings and weekends fitting them around childcare. I dream of being able to do this full time. I would need to earn about £175 a week to equal what I'm getting at my current job xxx

Your nail tech is very lucky to have been given that opportunity Red star. Unfortunately for me I have to keep my non beauty job going alongside my beauty stuff and due to the nature of the job I can't commit to certain days I'm in a salon/room so mobile/home is my only option...for now xx

I rent an area out to a newbie too :) we do 70/30 untill she's up and running, she does mobile too, I care enough about her business to make it as easy as possible for her in these early days, as redstar does, not all salon owners are just in it for the money :)

Wow, would be amazing to find somewhere like that xxx

Wow, would be amazing to find somewhere like that xxx

As I said in my original post.....contact your local salons and see if they have a room/station/area.....
Go in person, looking bright eyed and bushy tailed.....:D
I think you'll be suprised how 'accommodating' us salon owners can be! :p

I love how supportive so many people who are in this business are to newbies. I think we can all remember being a newbie ourselves. It's definitely not meant in an insulting way.

I am someone who went down the 'room at home' route 20 years ago and am still there now with a full time and successful business because it worked for me to build up slowly.

I can't offer support to people with good chair rates etc but when anyone does phone and ask for advice and help setting up I am only too happy to help. People helped me and I pass that on. I think lots of us feel like that so it's definitely worth phoning around.

I don't think any insults were meant with the term newbie!

I rent rooms out on a daily basis which can be really helpful to some not wanting to commit. I had some great advice when I looked to move out of my home salon to renting a room. That was the start of truly growing my business and now I have a 5 room salon.

I would definitely look favourably on someone starting out and would try to help so it's always worth looking outside the box.

Vic x

I don't think any insults were meant with the term newbie!

I rent rooms out on a daily basis which can be really helpful to some not wanting to commit. I had some great advice when I looked to move out of my home salon to renting a room. That was the start of truly growing my business and now I have a 5 room salon.

I would definitely look favourably on someone starting out and would try to help so it's always worth looking outside the box.

Vic x
No I appreciate that now, it just came across a little negative in the context of that message, however I'm aware that things don't always come across well in the written form and that wasn't how it was meant.

All the advice is fab, if it wasn't for me having to work a second job that isn't always set days then I'd possibly look into these options but sadly it's not for me at the moment. Might be perfect for the op of this post though :)

I was going to convert my garage but decided to rent a room as I live in the country. I share the room with the owner who does reflexology..to start with I could come and go as I pleased she said but I find when I walk in the first thing she says is she doesn't know what's going on ...by the end of the day she's changed again saying whatever I want to do she is easy with it....I said why don't we agree certain times...so we did. I walked in today and she said again I don't know what's going on and she wants to take a booking during my time...I feel this isn't my room and I'm imposing every time I go in. I think I need to go back to the garage plan and hopefully living in the country won't be too bad

Have you tried contacting your local gyms? I work from home mainly but have recently started renting a room in a local ladies gym for £30 a day. Best decision I ever made, the clients there have disposable income and are free during the day :)

Does anyone work in the country? I'm six miles out of town. Do people travel?

Hi
I'm in a small village five miles from the nearest town with banks, supermarket etc. In winter we only get two buses- one in and one out ... Lol!
My clients come from roughly a six mile radius of me. If you have easy parking they don't mind driving to me as they hate paying for parking in town.
I have a lovely view across fields to the mendip hills which they like, feels a bit special and great peaceful atmosphere.
Because I'm in a small village I do well from the locals as they know each other and can walk to me.
Being out in the stix just means you have to work harder at letting people know you are there - leaflet drops, website, Facebook salon page and everything else you can think of!
[emoji3]

When I worked for myself I only worked on people I knew from home because I didn't want anyone and everyone coming into my home at the time. My point being that other locations for self employment can be advantageous.

If you're starting out, renting a room in a salon on a percentage split per treatment can be a good option because it gives you a neutral territory.

I love how supportive so many people who are in this business are to newbies. I think we can all remember being a newbie ourselves. It's definitely not meant in an insulting way.

I am someone who went down the 'room at home' route 20 years ago and am still there now with a full time and successful business because it worked for me to build up slowly.

I can't offer support to people with good chair rates etc but when anyone does phone and ask for advice and help setting up I am only too happy to help. People helped me and I pass that on. I think lots of us feel like that so it's definitely worth phoning around.
I have a room in a salon, but I'm not getting enough to fill my days. I am looking to do mobile or homebased as i have a conservatory i can use as well. Any help and advice you can send me would be great

Latest posts

Back