Wood's lamp - can anyone help?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Agaaa

Reaction score
Hi, I am writing here at last, after ages of looking on internet without finding anything that could solve my problem :( the thing is that I am training my skills at the moment on my friends and family after finishing Beauty Therapy Level 2 last year and before I will go mobile, which I am going to do very soon. My weak point is skin analyzing in facial. This is maybe because I don't have much experience yet, anyway I have heard about the Wood's lamp and I bought it of ebay. It always looked so easy to use, just looking trough it in the dark room, seeing different colours for different skin conditions. My problem is that I cannot see anything apart from blue light on clients faces, no other colours ever! so I really don't know what am I doing wrong or how should I really read what it shows me and what to expect? Can anyone please help me and give me some instructions ?x

Hi, I don't use one, and never have.
I found this link when googling that I thought may help you until someone else comes along with more info.

http://i00.i.aliimg.com/img/pb/662/614/376/376614662_353.jpg

I learnt on a course today that if you have pigmentation in the surface layers of the skin it will show as a darker patch and deeper pigmentation shows as a lighter patch. I don't think it's meant to show colours just darker and lighter areas, flaky skin shows as kind of white spots that look like dust. That's all I know I'm afraid! Hope that helps xx

Hi, thanks for the reply. I got the same picture from the seller, together with this one:
f.jpg

the thing is that all I could see on whole of clients faces was only one blue colour, about the same as the forehead of the girl from the picture and the picture you just sent the link to shows how to read different colours it shows, like yellow, brown, purple, etc. am I right? and even if it was meant to show only three colours (light or dark blue and white spots) than why would everyone say it is so helpful in whole skin analysis?xx

the reason the whole face is blue is because that is the colour of the lights! lol

If you look around the eyes they may have dark purple circles (dehydration)

Little orange dots on nose and chin (if you really get them to stick there chin out at you, you can see all the little orange dots) which is oil

Again pigmentation which just looks like they have freckles!

If you cant see anything your bulbs might need replacing! if you ever in York pop in and ill show you mine and show you what your looking for!!

Hi, I am writing here at last, after ages of looking on internet without finding anything that could solve my problem :( the thing is that I am training my skills at the moment on my friends and family after finishing Beauty Therapy Level 2 last year and before I will go mobile, which I am going to do very soon. My weak point is skin analyzing in facial. This is maybe because I don't have much experience yet, anyway I have heard about the Wood's lamp and I bought it of ebay. It always looked so easy to use, just looking trough it in the dark room, seeing different colours for different skin conditions. My problem is that I cannot see anything apart from blue light on clients faces, no other colours ever! so I really don't know what am I doing wrong or how should I really read what it shows me and what to expect? Can anyone please help me and give me some instructions ?x

It sounds like it may not be dark enough. You have to look really closely though. Did your woodslamp come with a black 'skirt' that goes around it. If it does then you can block out more light. You should definitely be able to see colours, but they might be tiny pinprick size dots depending on the condition of the skin. Sunblock also stops you from seeing anything too.

Blue/white- well balanced healthy skin
White patches - dead skin cell build up/ thickened corneum
Light purple - dehydrated
Brown patches or spots -pigmentation and freckles
Dark purple - thin weakened epidermis (most common under the eyes)
Light pink haze - balanced oil flow
Yellow/ orange fluorescent dots - unbalanced oil flow
Fluorescent green - infected lesions / pimples
Matte purple - sun block detected
Matte white - dryness (no oil secretion)

Hth

Thanks, i used it in a completly dark room, my woods lamp is a portable one for hand use and i got it with a face cover. And i know the colour of the lamp is blue, but i can see only this colour on each face lol. That would be great if someone could show me personally what is wrong with it (or me) but Amelia the only time im gonna be at York is Monday for my course and i would have time only in the morning, like at 8-8.30? So not sure if i dare asking you to find time for me this early lol xx

Latest posts

Back