Work and baby

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

86talia

Reaction score
Hi everyone
Just need to vent what others think! I have a 4 year old daughter and would like another, currently Iam the only stylist at the salon I work at due to the boss off sick and iam running the place and also. Another stylist leaving to do mobile. My problem is that iam made to feel alittle guilty for talking about it :-( dunno what way to turn I don't want to not try for another then regret it in the future. What's everyones thoughts? Thanks in advance x
Sent from my LT30p using SalonGeek mobile app

I think you try for a second child when the time is right in your life. Only you and your partner can decide that.

If you are employed then its not your responsibility to keep someone else's business running so if you want to try try and don't feel guilty, I on the other hand am self employed and work for home if I don't work my business doesn't exist so I have sacrificed not having children at the moment to pay my mortgage.

I'm self employed and already have an almost 2 year old but I was employed when we had her. We want another baby so have decided to start trying towards the end of the year - my plan is to work as far to my due date as possible and I will only have 4 - 6 weeks off all being well & my colleague will look after my clients for the short time I'll be off then I will return to work just 2 days until baby is a bit older then back to 3 days after about 6 months. Thats my plan but things don't always go to plan & I will rethink things as & when I need to if I need to...... we are in the fortunate position though that we don't rely on my wages its pocket money really. Plus my colleague who owns the salon is fully aware of my plans & is supportive. A friend of mine who is also self employed did similar when she had her boys and only upset a couple of her clients by daring to have a baby.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek mobile app

Its also quite difficult to get child care for a baby that's only couple of weeks old.

Again I'm lucky that my parents & in laws help out with childcare. I have it easy really :o

Again I'm lucky that my parents & in laws help out with childcare. I have it easy really :o

I don't have a support system at all :'(

Its also quite difficult to get child care for a baby that's only couple of weeks old.

Ofsted registered nursurys should be able to help u out I sent my baby to Nursury when she was 7-8 weeks old.
And it was fine as I work only 2 days a week and the rest of the time I am mummy

Though speaking to people and friends with babies there are not a lot of nursery besides me that take new borns minimum is about 3-4 months that's if you can even afford its about £45 a day in my city

Hiya thanks all :) feel abit better about it maybe the end of the year, iam lucky have got a few helpers for when I go back. But childcare is so expensive :-/

I don't have a support system at all :'(

If we didn't have our parents help I wouldn't have gone back to work as nurseries are so expensive it would've taken up my wages & I don't see the point in working for nothing. Childminders tend to be a bit cheaper though.

I was in the process of setting up my business and then we found out I'm pregnant. My partner has had to get a new job working nights, so that when I can go back to work we won't need childcare. We can't rely on family to support and help us with childcare, so this way myself and my partner can at least share the burden.

I'm self employed and we want a second baby. We have talked about me taking my full paid maternity off - 9 months but I'm aware I will lose a lot, if not all of my clients.

Has anyone done this or is that crazy?

Adventure girl if you plan to take 9 months off be prepared to lose the majority of your clients. I know a local hairdresser who took only 4 months off. When she went back most of her clients had gone elsewhere, and even though she was back and they rated her highly the majority stayed with the new hairdresser. Sadly that's what happens in our business :(

I'm self employed and we want a second baby. We have talked about me taking my full paid maternity off - 9 months but I'm aware I will lose a lot, if not all of my clients.

I was employed in a salon when I had our daughter and although they employed a temporary girl and there was my colleague by the time I went back 9 months later the majority of my clients had gone elsewhere. That's why with baby no 2 if & when it happens I only plan on a month off - 6 weeks at the most. I've had to start over & don't really want to do it again.

I've recently had a miscarriage but when pregnant had decided to only take a few weeks off. It's sad but its what had to be done as clients don't wait about xx

I've recently had a miscarriage but when pregnant had decided to only take a few weeks off. It's sad but its what had to be done as clients don't wait about xx[/QUOT

Sort to hear that hope your okay, are you self employed or in salon ? X

I had to take a lot of time out if mobile hairdressing after my 3rd child because i was so ill during pregnancy and i nearly died during child birth. My clients all moved on and i never picked it back up. Tbh i was so glad to still be here to enjoy my baby (i lost one before i had her it took us 5 years to concieve too) i decided to add Beauty Therapy to my list of skills. It can mean losing a lot of clients so think carefully about how you will regain any clients u may lose x

Sent from my GT-S5830i using SalonGeek mobile app

Adventure girl if you plan to take 9 months off be prepared to lose the majority of your clients. I know a local hairdresser who took only 4 months off. When she went back most of her clients had gone elsewhere, and even though she was back and they rated her highly the majority stayed with the new hairdresser. Sadly that's what happens in our business :(

Ah I did think this. Times like this I wish if stayed employed until I was done having babies! I worked so hard trying to build my clients up as well. So hard to choose :( Thanks for your reply xx

I was employed in a salon when I had our daughter and although they employed a temporary girl and there was my colleague by the time I went back 9 months later the majority of my clients had gone elsewhere. That's why with baby no 2 if & when it happens I only plan on a month off - 6 weeks at the most. I've had to start over & don't really want to do it again.

Do you think 6 weeks with a newborn will be manageable? I would do it but feel bad with my 2 year old and a newborn on someone else... Xx

Latest posts

Back