Work experience in a salon - am I too old?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

michlee39

Reaction score
Hello, I am newly qualified Level 2 Hairdresser currently studying my Level 3. Am i too old to ask salons for work experience? Just want to gather some confidence before I'" hit the ground running! :0) I'm 41

Hi, I'm 36. I quit a sedentary job I had been doing for the past 14 years last year and enrolled in a hairdressing course. Just last week, I landed my first job at a reputable salon here. I have no prior work experience in hairdressing and it took me a long time to find a place that would hire an absolute fresher with no experience. I'm an apprentice without pay right now, but I'm happy, nevertheless. So I guess you're never too old. :)

No your definitely not too old, I would prefer someone more mature as you have far more experience in other areas x

I'm an apprentice without pay right now, but I'm happy, nevertheless. So I guess you're never too old. :)

In the U.K., it’s illegal for you to work as an apprentice without pay so that couldn’t happen over here.

I didn't realise that, the college my son goes to has stopped doing 'apprenticeships' but still does the one day a week NVQ course and they have advised the students to take placements regardless if its free. TBH im just glad my son is getting the experience so it doesn't bother me that he doesn't get paid but I can understand that some unscrupulous salons would take advantage

...it doesn't bother me that he doesn't get paid but I can understand that some unscrupulous salons would take advantage

If he’s not being paid then he is being taken advantage of. How much worse does it have to get?

him not receiving any training whatsoever and being put off his course because he can't find a placement would be worse.
he's a few weeks into his NVQ and is only in college one day a week. he needs 4 days a week in a salon. mine is to quiet for him to experience everything he needs so he spends one day a week in another salon where he gets the chance to see a wider range of stuff. of course if they just had him sweeping the floor, making tea and it was making him miserable id stop him going but he loves it so as long as he's happy he can carry on. like I said I totally understand it can be open to unscrupulous salon owners taking the P but this arrangement suits everyone at present so I'm not going to let a couple of pound ruin what is a good learning opportunity for him

Latest posts

Back