Work in salon or self employed? Moving to new area

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

modernlydie

Reaction score
What's your opinion?
I'm sick of working my arse off for nothing and no appreciation. Plus I seem to be victimised for having kids and insisting on working part time.
I'm hoping to move to Bedfordshire in August, I can't take my clientele with me as its too far so I'll be starting from scratch.
I was thinking about a salon as there may be clients ready. And worried about start up costs of going self employed. But the latter would suit my lifestyle as I'd rather work whilst the kids are at school and not have to use childcare.
Are there agencies that help self employed stylists start up and find clients?
Any opinions/words of advice?

I don't know about agencies but I'd see if there are any part-time jobs at local salons. It takes a long time to build up a client base as you know and if you don't have the hours to put in because of having children then it may take even longer. It may be more convenient long term but I think it would be difficult for you to start from scratch from what you've said

Hey there, I'm totally there with you. I have four children, all quite young, and absolutely adored my job. I worked in a hip salon in Shoreditch but found out I was expecting twins. I continued there till 8 months pregnant and then due to being the size of a small house left with the intention of returning when my twin boys were 6 months old.

I didn't return as childcare for four is ridiculous. I built a home salon and as I live in Dalston most of my clients stayed with me and of course, I gained loads of new clients too.

I don't advertise as I prefer referrals due to my time constraints and having people in my home. The result has been I earn more money, have a little bit more time and don't have huge childcare costs... I still plan to go back to salon work next year as I miss having colleagues to bounce ideas off!

I work around my children, school runs etc... It does take time and patience when you start out on your own to build up your clientele but when you have kids, it's worth it.

I say go for it. If it doesn't work out then go back to the salon but you won't know till you try!

ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1398178809.514529.jpg

Latest posts

Back