Working alone

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SUEM

Reaction score
Hi just wondered if anyone else is in the same position as me. I work alone without a receptionist all week except for Saturdays, some times my mother helps out if i have Facials in as i dont like to leave the room during that treatment. I just find that i cant afford to pay for a full time receptionist but after five years of struggling to keep the business on its feet i would love to have anextra day or two off but i am having a problem finding a therapist that suits the salon as they either hve no personality or they are only decent at a few treatments but hopeless at others. Eyebrow waxing seems to be the big problem, i do get alot of brow wax clients and i do take pride in my reputation for this but i cant find anyone else that has the same attitude! I am starting to get very downhearted and tired of doing everything myself and not having time out for the family. Sorry about the negative thread but it would be interesting to see if anyone has any advice if they have been in a similiar position.

Have you thought about 'training' someone up to do it YOUR way in the salon? How you like your customers to have it done?

My Saturday girl is doing her nvq 2 and i have tried with her but its just not sinking in, the last applicant i had worked with me for a few days and even though i stressed about the brow situation and showed her exactly how i would do it i got 3 complaints from clients she had done! It scares me off employing them because im afraid to lose any business atall as i cant afford to.

Bear in mind that when you interview people, they may be nervous and worried about appearing too "bright and bubbly" so they may not start to show their personality for the first few days of work.
Could you just make sure that you book eyebrows for yourself only until the new girl gets the picture about how important your reputation is?
I read a post in the business section (I think) that someone had hired an assistance to do the setting up, tidying up and phone answering kind of stuff to give her a bit more time to service clients. Would that help you in your situation so that you are not carrying too much of a burden? Even a high-school kid to help out a few hours after school or on a weekend would make a difference.
Have you thought about making a trade off? Staying open later a few nights a week and closing up earlier a few days so that you get more time to put your feet up?
Most of all keep your chin up! I'm sure the perfect employee will walk through your door any minute now.
And remember to keep your eyes open for that person wherever you go, my salon manager met our current fulltime hair dresser at a restaurant where the hairdresser was waiting tables while she looked for work! She's worked out fabulously!
Best of luck, sweetie :hug: don't let the stress get you down

I already stay open to suit the clients because i feel i cant afford to say no to anyone. Due to personal financial problems i am in the position that i have to make a certain amount of money every month or the sh** would hit the fan if you pardon my expression! Sometimes i have seen me have a brow wax at 11.30am and have to sit till 6.30pm for the next client but other days i might be busy from 11 till 7.30 non stop. I can handle the busy times but waiting around 6 and 7 hous sometimes just gets to me.

This might be a mad idea but if you are sitting in the salon for hrs with no clients and have a computer couldn't you do a work from home type thing for extra money, typing or whatever. Or work on some marketing ideas to make sure you are busy.

Then the busier you get the more you can justify employing a receptionist

hi hun does your shop have to stay open, could you close for an hour and do leaflet drops or head into your nearest town and hand out fliers. i'll soon be in a similar boat but have decided that when doing a treatment i'll lock up. i'm fortunate in a way as i'm located within a hairdressers clients can enquire there when the door is closed. i'ms sure things will look upfor you, not sure about your saturday girl, but like someone said, keep her doing the treatments she is able to do until her confidence is up x good luck

I'm not sure how well this would work but the woman I see for my bikini wax has has a thriving business and no receptionist. She and her partner just have an answering machine that states they are busy and please leave a message and phone # and they will call you back when they have a free moment. Perhaps pushing for your clients to book their next appointment before they leave would help you fill up days in the future so you can schedule some days off for yourself. I know it sounds crazy to give up possible business but you won't be any good to your clients or family if you are run down and tired all the time.
Good luck!

Latest posts

Back