Working from home but no room for salon

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi, I work from home. I have a lounge/dining room, and have cleared the dining room end to do nails. Working mobile, didn't bode well for me, I only work from 7pm at the moment as I have a 18 month old daughter, so I lost precious time/money travelling around.
I got my table from Argos and my chairs with the sloped back from IKEA. I put music on and light candles when clients come and ensure everything is spick and span when they arrive. People seem to like it although I would LOVE my own room :) xxx
ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1399488026.670800.jpg
ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1399488040.574523.jpg

I am loving the set ups on here,.they look amazing.

the caravan is such a smart idea. hope to see pictures when its all done.

im having a summer house built as my garden is massive, has a side entrance (im very private about my home so no clients traipsing through to be greeted by kids and dogs) and a large decked area. i am very excited to get this done as i am strictly mobile at the moment. it suits my clients fine but i want to offer spray tans and that can be far too messy for someones home. Plus its a lot cosier for massage and some clients dont have a space for a fold up beauty bed nor a separate room.

i had been doing hair in peoples kitchens, diningrooms and conservatories for years. it was no less professional than at a salon. just different surroundings and some thinking out side the box required at times.

Sent from my GT-S5830i using SalonGeek mobile app

Hey peeps. heres my input on this....ive sort of done an entire circle with working in my own salon many years ago, to then having to work from my home....literally having to work in my dining room, then my kitchen table and then i opened another tiny salon...then moved onto a much bigger salon...which is manic busy....and now actually wanting to go back home to work.....working from home and in a salon...they both have many advantages and disadvantages,,....in my opinion....when i personally worked from home, and didn't have a specific room to wrk from...like it was part of my families home...then i personally felt less professional....so much so that i opened a salon...which spiralled so i had to open bigger premises.....which again spiralled and got so busy that I'm actually in the process of "taking a step back", and going back to working from my home. its a crazy business this nail malarky!...Each has their own advantages. and i can honestly say that in my personal experience, i felt much more professional working from a salon....however...after 6 and a half years of working like a donkey, and crazy busy.. 13 to 14hour days.....ive decided to go back to working from my home.....firstly in my conservatory for 3 months, whiles the weathers a bit rubbish and my cabin is being built, then il have my own room, to feel professional, have the benefit of working from home whilst feeling I'm in a salon...if that makes sense?..but when I've spoken to all of my clients, and i see on average 28 a week, on a 3 week turnaround, some having been my clients for over 12 years.....well my clients tell me they do not care if they are sat in my lounge whilst i do their nails, or at my kitchen table...i think the pressure comes from what we put ourselves under...in the grand scheme of things....our clients just want nice nails...and don't really mmd too much where they are, just as long as then nail service e provide, is top notch...:) so my advice is...provide a fabulous service, in a clean and safe manner, as professional as u can......and the clients will flock to you. x

I am loving the set ups on here,.they look amazing.

the caravan is such a smart idea. hope to see pictures when its all done.

im having a summer house built as my garden is massive, has a side entrance (im very private about my home so no clients traipsing through to be greeted by kids and dogs) and a large decked area. i am very excited to get this done as i am strictly mobile at the moment. it suits my clients fine but i want to offer spray tans and that can be far too messy for someones home. Plus its a lot cosier for massage and some clients dont have a space for a fold up beauty bed nor a separate room.

i had been doing hair in peoples kitchens, diningrooms and conservatories for years. it was no less professional than at a salon. just different surroundings and some thinking out side the box required at times.

Sent from my GT-S5830i using SalonGeek mobile app
hey lovely....are u having a cabin build from scratch, or purchasing one......im searching for one but there so many i feel I'm drowning in cabins and summer houses!

You guys are so lucky you can do that. When I set up a home salon, regulations were, has to be separate from the house or a different entrance, hot and cold running water in the same area. Western Australia.

and also somebody posted on here a wall with open brick work, that would be a no no, all floor coverings and walls have to be washable.

This is my nail desk at home :) x
ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1487880049.476174.jpg

You guys are so lucky you can do that. When I set up a home salon, regulations were, has to be separate from the house or a different entrance, hot and cold running water in the same area. Western Australia.

It's not so different here....it depends on the what borough you live in.
Some are very strict, fire safety inspections, wash basins to provide hot and cold water, waste disposal...
A yearly licence to perform treatments can be over £1,000 a year.

Latest posts

Back