Working hours?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kimi1101

Reaction score
Is anyone strict with their working hours?

I currently work five days, averaging 45-50 hours a week. I'd love to work four days, I'm happy to do two nights later but really wish I could stick to my working hours.

You know what it's like, clients call and beg to be squeezed in or need it this week etc...I have made a rod for my own back by agreeing in the past but now id like to pass on some clients to staff.

Anyone got any experience of this?

Thanks in advance

Believe it or not it's exactly the same with me. I get at least once a day can you quote such and such and I need it with 24/48hrs.

If it can be done on our express service at our extra charge i'll do it. If we can't do it, we can't. They either wait or find someone else to try and do it and most do come back to me.

If they are regulars and you tell them you can't fit them in that soon I'm pretty sure they will wait. They may say 'leave it then' but they most likely will get back in touch.

I have 3 children at home so yes I am quite strict with my working hours, i like to be home by 6 ish so I can spend time with them before they go to bed I stay if an appointment has run on but I try to organise so that doesn't happen, I work 9-5, 5 days a week and let the self employed stylist have the later appointments, I take a Wednesday off now and the other stylist takes a Monday so my shop is open 6 days a week, I spend the daytime Wednesday doing stock run, books, errands etc but I'm done in time to pick them up from school, I just tell people no if they ask for an appointment outside of my hours, 9 times out of 10 they arrange an appointment within the hours then, I try to use Saturdays for the people who asked for later appointments during the week and it's usually fine, I was at a point before I opened my shop where I was working all hours and barley spent any time with my family, I was ill from being exhausted so just had to say to myself is it really worth it? How can i find a balance? So I started being firmer with the clients requesting being squeezed in etc and it's all balancing nicley now, I sometimes feel a bit strange giving the evening appointments to my colleague I feel like I'm giving her my money lol! but money isn't everything time is!

My clients don't seem keen to go to another stylist but I think that's cos they know I will accommodate them! I'm looking at a new business and I know I can't do it all. Thank you

My clients don't seem keen to go to another stylist but I think that's cos they know I will accommodate them! I'm looking at a new business and I know I can't do it all. Thank you

Lol you should take that as a compliment of your skills! Put your foot down and say no sorry I haven't any appointments left for then :)
What kind of new business if u don't mind me asking?

I have to be strict with my hours as I have fibromyalgia and if I push myself too hard I'll be out of action for a week lol you might get a couple of people say ok I'll find somewhere else but the majority will go with the flow!

Thanks all.

I took the decision on Saturday to start taking Tuesdays off. I currently take Sunday and Monday off. I have one blow dry client who comes regularly on a Tuesday so I told her and she seemed ok about it and has moved to a Wednesday now. Then throughout the day I was telling people who were rebooking that I'm no longer doing a Tuesday and the responses were mixed.the thing is, most of my clients on a Tuesday are retired, certainly the two who were a bit...funny about it. I have to remember my health when clients are funny about it.

I'm looking to take on another salon so my hopes are to spend a few days a week at each.

Thank you all again.

I've recently just done the same,cut back to 4 days a week, but do 3 late nights. I take Saturday Sunday and Monday off although I do tend to do orders and bookwork on a Monday. It's been a good compromise.it means clients are having to try the other therapist. All work and no play...

Thanks all.

I took the decision on Saturday to start taking Tuesdays off. I currently take Sunday and Monday off. I have one blow dry client who comes regularly on a Tuesday so I told her and she seemed ok about it and has moved to a Wednesday now. Then throughout the day I was telling people who were rebooking that I'm no longer doing a Tuesday and the responses were mixed.the thing is, most of my clients on a Tuesday are retired, certainly the two who were a bit...funny about it. I have to remember my health when clients are funny about it.

I'm looking to take on another salon so my hopes are to spend a few days a week at each.

Thank you all again.

I'm in the same boat with my hair salon I often say yes and find myself working to many hrs but yes our own health is most important and I ask myself sometimes would they drop everything for me, answer is no. Do other salons squeeze me in when I ring last minute, no but we find alternate appointments and make it work. Generally People who expect the most are the least grateful. Stay strong. :)

Well I've had informal confirmation that I have got the salon (yay) so I'm planning on working three days in each. In the new salon, I am not planning on doing any hair, but managing it and overseeing training. In my current salon I would do two late nights, however I have commitments on evenings so I will need to stick to my evenings I do at the moment.

But you saying "stay strong" is very apt! It's very difficult!!

Latest posts

Back