Working in New York?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Candle rose

Reaction score
I'm a highly experienced hairdresser hoping to work in New York. Has anyone had experience of working in the Big Apple? What are clients expectations? Are clients very different from the UK? Will I be expected to work for a flat fee and rely on tips to bring up my salary? Should I email salons before I visit or just pop in with my CV.

I have a solicitor who is taking care of my visa and paperwork, but do you know of any salons that sponsor hairstylists?

Would offering to work a trial day, work in my favor?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

I worked in NYC on Broadway doing all aspects of hair extensions / wigs etc. I was there for 3 years and it was one of the best times of my life! I gained VAST amounts of contacts too and to this day, i get flown over to NYC 4 times a year by a client of mine just to do her hair extensions (yep - she's that much of a fan of my work and also very wealthy so money no object). First and foremost, you need a visa. I was sponsored so that made it easier and then i was offered a job by a theatre studio then a TV studio and thats how i got my visa extension. Clients i find are very cosmopolitan and like to have big bouncy blowdries. This coincides nicely with hair extensions. They like the Hot Fusion and Weave techniques the most. I found American clients to certainly be more "aware" of their rights so a few law suits came up during my time there (not with me but colleagues). Huh, funny how on here there are some extensionists experiencing similar things with clients trying to sue. I had a salary which had tax deducted and tips weren't really something i benefitted from on Broadway but, i did get tips from private clients. I would email salons with your CV and social channels to see your work and ask them if they have any jobs going. Tell them that you're going to visit NYC and would love to meet them in person. Get yourself c20 appointments with salons to discuss your skills as i found Americans prefer to see you in person than not. It will mean a trip to the Big Apple but so worth it.

Best time of my life and i would thoroughly recommend it to anyone.

Good Luck!

I don't have any advice.. but good luck it sounds amazing!!

Latest posts

Back