Working out daily rent

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grace_Hair

Reaction score
How do you work out daily/weekly rent?

Say my rent, water, electric is £500. Not taking into consideration colour, towels, products, booking system.

If there's two of us, would I basically want them paying half the rent? So £11 a day?

Would that be far. Or am I taking the p**s out of myself?

I take it you are looking at getting some one in self employed on a rental basis?

I 'think' the norm is you provide towels and nothing else. Not the products or booking system.
You want to be making a profit so not just covering 50% of your cost :)

Do you mean rent for a lessee? You work out what you want to charge. You don't have to justify it - or have I got the wrong end of the stick x

Why do you want to provide so much?

I provide tea coffee etc & shampoo, she bought her own towels but I launder them (because she dosent have a tumble dryer) everything else is provided by her. (She's self employed so can use whatever products she wants & charges what she pleases)

My fixed rent lady (hair) covers my shop rent completely just for reference.

Most salons round me provided everything. So if I didn't I don't think too many people would be interested.

And also, I've got such a little salon a cant fit any more products in than the ones I use.

And with the booking system I would be peeved if I went onto a salon website to book with a particular stylist and they didn't have the online booking.

What you have to remember is that the contract with the landlord is with you. You're responsible for the rent no matter what. This is why, when people rent a room, the rent can seem high compared to what the salon owner pays. For example I could rent a room for £100pw but the rent I pay on the whole premises may only be £450. All bills, negotiation with landlord etc lies with you, not the lessee. You're in a contract, usually of several years - the lessee isn't. Ultimately the risks are with you. They can walk and you can't - not without serious repercussions. That is why you never tell your lessees the rent you pay. They start to think they're paying for everything and you never charge your lessees half the rent. You should never justify what you charge.

Vic x

Thanks for the replies.

I suppose I was more justifying it for myself? To know and work out what's an acceptable rent.

I pay £100 a week and its up to me if I'm there 1 day or 7. I have no business rates to pay elec or gas ,,,, I can do my job, enjoy it and go home ,, don't charge any less your be doing yourself out of money

Most salons round me provided everything. So if I didn't I don't think too many people would be interested.

And also, I've got such a little salon a cant fit any more products in than the ones I use.

And with the booking system I would be peeved if I went onto a salon website to book with a particular stylist and they didn't have the online booking.
Just because everyone is offering more doesn't mean you should too. You offer what you are willing to at a price you are happy with and there will always be people interested. I wouldn't even bother to look at a place that want's me to use their stock because I like to chose what I use & know that I can change brands if I want to without having to justify why, I would want my own space for my own things so if your short on space for products you may want to look at ensuring you actually have enough room to rent out in the first place.
As for you booking for me on your website - I wouldn't want it, I would be expecting you to be directing MY customers to MY website to book with me.

Latest posts

Back