Would like some new car advice

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cupcake34

Reaction score
Hello geeks! So a thread on just a bit of advice needed! Skip to end to See over view as post is long!!

So here's the thing I have had my car a year and been driving for that long and my 1 year no claims is in October
So I've been looking at insurance and currently I pay £167 a month just to insure my car and it's not come down a great deal at £130 and annual is still over £1000 and my tax is £150 for the year.

So I've been looking at cars which are newer as mine is 53 plate micra done 90,000 miles
I have found an 08 fiat 500 done 30,000 one owner and includes a year mot and costs £4500.

At the moment I'm having all sorts of problems with my car and is getting costly and the mot is due in sep and I really doubt it'll pass! So I've thought about getting a loan with my bank. It'll cost me £152 pm over 3 years for the car and the insurance is much lower and I'll be able to afford to pay it off at £500 for the year with the money in my Isa. So per month out going will be £152 a month as opposed to my current £167 just on insurance. The fiat is £30 a year to tax so that's saving £120.

So should I go for it? It's in great nick
Pros
it's done 60,000 miles less than my car
It's £152 a month loan
Tax is £30
Mot for year
Insurance I can afford to pay annually at £500 as opposed to monthly £167 now and renewal is still £130 a month.
I would be paying this out and more to finance a car from dealership and have to pay a lump sum after 3 years.
It's £4500 which is really good for the spec and usage
After 3 years it'll still be newer than my current car and on less mileage
Will part exchange my car but won't get a lot for it as is only worth £1300 to sell

Cons
It's a 3 year commitment.
I'm currently at home and want to move out in 1-2 years so that's £152 outgoings already but will help towards my credit rating.
A loan at 20 years old seems scary but I couldn't afford to out right buy a car with such low tax and insurance.

Should I do it?! I'm also going to be commuting further to work as new job along country roads so want something more reliable.
So currently I'm paying £167 to Insure plus all problems I've had. And I'll go to paying my insurance annually as have that in my savings and paying £150 a month for 3 years. But other than this I only have a £40 phone bill a month to pay plus petrol that's my outgoings.

Help!

I got a finance car at 20, well it was my exs n after a year he decided he didn't want to work anymore so it got lumbered on me! It was brand new at £268 a month. It was the biggest mistake of my life, I like to pay things off in full so it's all mine straight away. I've just paid the car off early which knocked £1000 interest off and I'm so relieved!

Sounds like you've kinda made your mind up? If you get a finance car, you'll struggle to move out anytime soon... But maybe consider if there's a chance of paying it off sooner than 3 years?

I got a finance car at 20, well it was my exs n after a year he decided he didn't want to work anymore so it got lumbered on me! It was brand new at £268 a month. It was the biggest mistake of my life, I like to pay things off in full so it's all mine straight away. I've just paid the car off early which knocked £1000 interest off and I'm so relieved!

Sounds like you've kinda made your mind up? If you get a finance car, you'll struggle to move out anytime soon... But maybe consider if there's a chance of paying it off sooner than 3 years?

Oh wow that's a lot a month! With what i want to do it's with my bank as a loan so it'll be £150 which is a big difference to £268, But it'll be classed as mine so if there was ever finance issues worse case scenario could sell it?
I think it my head I've made my mind up I just don't know if doing the right move...

Oh wow that's a lot a month! With what i want to do it's with my bank as a loan so it'll be £150 which is a big difference to £268, But it'll be classed as mine so if there was ever finance issues worse case scenario could sell it?
I think it my head I've made my mind up I just don't know if doing the right move...

Yeah, massive difference and the car was never mine til the end. Yes, worse case you could sell. And it'll all go down as good credit. I'd go for it if I was you, I hated my old car breaking all time so it was nice having a new one. But I did it once but probs won't do it again!

Quick update went on money supermarket on car loan section and over 3 years I have found one with payments of 121 a month.

I think this will be happening!

That's really good! Also be getting money from selling your old car too :)

Yes hopefully just hope I can get approved for a loan. May be hard as I'm 20 and living at home with parents. Have had my car insurance and phone direct debit but other than that I doubt I'll have a credit rating:/

Yes hopefully just hope I can get approved for a loan. May be hard as I'm 20 and living at home with parents. Have had my car insurance and phone direct debit but other than that I doubt I'll have a credit rating:/

They generally put it against the car so it's not really going to be a loss to them if you don't pay as they will just snatch up the car. I just did this and was the best decision I ever made. But it means I cant save hardly anything at the moment (I just paid out a lot for car insurance). Hopefully once work picks up a bit more I'll be fine and able to save loads :) good luck!! x

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek mobile app

They generally put it against the car so it's not really going to be a loss to them if you don't pay as they will just snatch up the car. I just did this and was the best decision I ever made. But it means I cant save hardly anything at the moment (I just paid out a lot for car insurance). Hopefully once work picks up a bit more I'll be fine and able to save loads :) good luck!! x

If you don't mind me asking who did you go through? I'm going to contact Barclays tomorrow and should have someone from carloans4u contact me back tomorrow fingers crossed

If you don't mind me asking who did you go through? I'm going to contact Barclays tomorrow and should have someone from carloans4u contact me back tomorrow fingers crossed

I bought it new so did it through the dealership but if I remember rightly I believe they used Santander finance. I'd check what they can offer you first as they part ex'd my car and I got much more for it than I could have expected. Meant I had to pay less. The more you put down as a deposit and the lower the milage you expect to do will obviously bring it down as well but you need to be careful you don't go over on the milage. Hth x

I think it sounds fine if you can afford it. The only thing I'd point out is that with the recent changes in regulations, you wouldn't get a mortgage with the loan outstanding. However, if you were planning to rent I think it would be ok (as long as you never miss a payment)

Thanks guys I rang my bank up today and I'll be approved for the loan but need to go in with 2 forms of identity and get it set up tomorrow then hopefully make an appointment and view the car and hopefully take it home!

Thanks guys I rang my bank up today and I'll be approved for the loan but need to go in with 2 forms of identity and get it set up tomorrow then hopefully make an appointment and view the car and hopefully take it home!

Seems like a bit of a no brainer to me - don't forget to ensure it has a full service history, all the receipts etc. Run a check and ask if it's a crash repair / ever been subject to insurance write off - the usual stuff.

Despite it's age, it's essentially a 3yr old car in terms of mileage.

One thing to keep in mind, is you'll probably need a new cam-belt/timing belt at about 40kmiles / 5yrs old (depending on service manual) it may also be due a major service next year which the 2 together could give you a £400+ repair bill. (just something to keep in mind). Cam-belts are a vital part of car maintenance, if they fail - it's a brand new engine.

Also check the condition of the tyres. I'm on 30k miles and i'm still on 2 original tyres which i will replace before winter. Make sure any tread on the tyres has worn evenly, and if not this could be a sign of tracking issues.

Find out how much they will be, mine on my corsa are £100 each.

Based on the above, you may have £600 worth of repairs in the next 12months, which is simply something you'll need to factor in. Otherwise though, it sounds like a better option than your current car!

I hope this helps - sorry, if i've repeated anything you already know!

Thankyou so much everyone :) had my dad with me as he used to have a garage back in the day so he checked everything. Got my Barclays loan which covers car and this years annual insurance and repayments over 3 years are £167 which is exactly the same as what I pay now for insurance on it's own :)
Looked at the car put a deposit down and after it's been moted with the garage inc in the price I'll be driving away by end of week

Oh and I forgot to say I know it's not to everyone's taste but as a girly girl at the age of 20 and a beauty therapist I think pink is so appropriate! Especially with bits of mobile work ;) ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1407859007.426166.jpgImageUploadedBySalonGeek1407859016.480482.jpg

It's perfect. You must be so happy and relieved! Have you sold your other car yet?

You should get your company name/logo printed on the side 👍

You should get your company name/logo printed on the side 👍

That's all well and good but make sure your insurance company is aware and this most defiantly will up your premium!

Op - if you use your car for beauty (mobile treatments) you'll need to account for business use on your insurance. Also it may be a hell of a lot cheaper for you to get a black box installed and go for a black box policy. If you have any questions in regards to insurance please feel free to PM me, I work for a car insurance company.

That's all well and good but make sure your insurance company is aware and this most defiantly will up your premium!

Op - if you use your car for beauty (mobile treatments) you'll need to account for business use on your insurance. Also it may be a hell of a lot cheaper for you to get a black box installed and go for a black box policy. If you have any questions in regards to insurance please feel free to PM me, I work for a car insurance company.

I don't think I'd do that just yet anyway :) and my insurance is fully comp, social domestic and business with diamond so I'm not sure if covered I thought I was 😳😳

Your covered for business use and social, domestic and pleasure. I would check your business mileage allowance and if there are any limitations.
All of which can be found on your documents. You won't be covered to advertise your business on your vehicle, if you wanted to do that you'd need to contact them first, before getting anything put on.

Your covered for business use and social, domestic and pleasure. I would check your business mileage allowance and if there are any limitations.
All of which can be found on your documents. You won't be covered to advertise your business on your vehicle, if you wanted to do that you'd need to contact them first, before getting anything put on.

Oh really? Okay thank you for letting me know as I wasn't aware or that! I'll definitely need to look into it then :)
Thankyou x

Latest posts

Back