Would you change anything?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Emm87 . . .

You say you wish you 'had' made your prices higher? Have you since raised them or do you still feel they are a bit low and would like to charge more?

-Adam

Hi Adam

No not raised them yet, I'm trying to decide the right time to do it! I was going to wait until I am a bit busier and well known. Might have to hold off even longer now though as I'm due my baby in June so will be stopping work for a month or two. I'm hoping I can retain as many of my clients as possible when I'm back at work lol.

Hi Emm87,

First of all, congratulations on the baby news. My wife and I are expecting our second little one in June also!

In terms of raising your prices, I wrote an article all about knowing when is the right time to raise your prices. You can check it out at http://salonbusinesssecrets.com/when-to-raise-treatment-prices/

Generally speaking, December or January aren't usually the best month to go for a price rise, but if you meet the criteria in the article then there is no reason not to.

Let me know what you think and if you do decide to go ahead, send me a message.

- Adam

Hi Everyone,

This is a really interesting question for me . . . mainly because it is pretty much the whole focus of my own website! I am on a mission to help new and existing salon and beauty business owners get started successfully and stay successful in their businesses so they can focus on what they do best - helping people. Oh and all the articles are absolutely free!

A few of you have mentioned that you wish you would have known a bit more about business, read some more books, been to more business classes etc. Just out of curiosity, did anyone look online for this type of assistance either when you were starting out or even now you are in business?

Also, do you still feel - even after opening your own business/salon - that you would like to know more about the business aspect of running a salon?

I would be really, really interested to hear all your thoughts.

Hate to make a blatant plug . . . but it seems appropriate on this thread, check out http://salonbusinesssecrets.com and let me know what you think?

-Adam
I only started researching the business stuff once I had got the lease sorted and that was how I stumbled across salon geek which was really invaluable. I have also read a few of your articles - got one emailed to me today funnily enough and a few other salon blogs like phorest etc which have been really useful. If I had read up before I started, It might not have made so much sense to me and might have even put me off! I must have signed up to a ton of mailing lists as I get sent stuff all the time related to small businesses and when I get the time to read them they have been really useful. My local borough also run growth workshops for small businesses every few months with a different topic each time and I made it my New Years resolution to go to as many as I could. I have managed 3 and always come away with something.
I just joined the nhf as well recently and there is loads of info there and fact sheets etc which are really useful, I should have probably joined it when I first started! [emoji1]

I am self employed and freelance. I wish I was tougher and said no more often. If I had my own salon I would need to be tougher. The Hubby says I'm too nice. So my advice would be to be nice but also toughen up. Go with your gut if you have a bad feeling about something you are probably right about it x

^^^^ totally agree! It's definitely an issue for me, I get a few clients who totally take the pee or rip me off which leaves me angry... How is that fair! Some people have no morals

One of the things I would do differently is to not keep comparing my business with others and then think I'm not as successful as them. Circumstances are different for everyone and you lower your self-esteem (and possibly prices) because you think you're not as good as the next salon. Also, don't get put off when family and friends don't want to use your services.

I wouldn't buy everything just because I wanted it, I've got the same 100 odd glitters I bought 3yrs ago, I went through 3 gel brands because I jumped on a bandwagon. I'd ask myself if I really needed things or if I want them, id also start saving as I tend to be really wasteful. I've been on several acrylic training courses then not sat down to practice so forgot everything I've been told x

This is an older thread but amazing advice for people like me starting out x

Latest posts

Back