Would you say you get more business from Mobile or Home Salon?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CazCardiff

Reaction score
I started out in December, but didnt really get going until Jan/Feb, advertising etc.. Im Mobile offering Manicures, Gelish and little girl parties.
Ive had a couple of clients and a couple waiting, but its been quite quiet.

I would absolutely LOVE to have my own little home salon, but also offer Mobile for those that really want it. Thing is, I cant have a home salon in my current house because its basically a 2 up 2 down with 5 of us is it! We are in the process of selling, but its slow getting our butts into gear and getting the house ready to sell.

My husband has said I cant have a home Salon until I can prove I can make money from doing nails :( I feel its totally unfair, I know I can, but with being Mobile I can only offer evenings and weekends, and even with that, I can only offer 2 weekday evening because he has sports clubs the other nights.
Daytimes are a no go Mobile as I have a 3yr old and only 2hrs when hes at nursery. BUT with a home Salon, I can offer daytimes because I wont be travelling and I can also do clients in the evenings that he is not here when the kids will be in bed. (I have 3 small boys)

So, Does anyone find either one more popular? A home Salon or Mobile? I have had a couple of people ask me if I have a salon, but have to say no :(
How can I convice my husband that YES I can make money from nails, but I can make more by being able to offer more hours by doing them at home as well??

Sorry for the waffle/rant.
Caroline
xx

Last edited:
Hi Caroline
I went for the same sort of set up that you are aiming for. I have converted my conservatory into a small Nail Room and i also do mobile. It works really well and gives me the best of both worlds. I would say that slightly more people visit me for treatments, probably about 60/40. Hope your hubby gets behind you!! :) xx

I started out in December, but didnt really get going until Jan/Feb, advertising etc.. Im Mobile offering Manicures, Gelish and little girl parties.
Ive had a couple of clients and a couple waiting, but its been quite quiet.

I would absolutely LOVE to have my own little home salon, but also offer Mobile for those that really want it. Thing is, I cant have a home salon in my current house because its basically a 2 up 2 down with 5 of us is it! We are in hte process of selling, but its slow getting our butts into gear and getting the house ready to sell.

My husband has said I cant have a home Salon until I can prove I can make money from doing nails :( I feel its totally unfair, I know I can, but with being Mobile I can only offer evenings and weekends, and even with that, I can only offer 2 weekday evening because he has sports clubs the other nights.
Daytimes are a no good Mobile as I have a 3yr old and only 2hrs when hes a tnursery. BUT with a home Salon, I can offer daytimes because I wont be travelling and I can do clients in the evening he is not here as kids will be in bed. (I have 3 small boys)

So, Does anyone find either one more popular? A home Salon or Mobile? I have had a couple of people ask me if I have a salon, but have to say no :(
How can I convice my husband that YES I can make money from nails, but I can make by being able to offer more hours by doing them at home as well??

Sorry for the waffle/rant.
Caroline
xx

I think you've answered your own question really....as you've already identified, working from home will bring you more flexibility and availability which equals more clients!! Couple that with vastly reduced overheads from not having to pay out for fuel and the time you use packing up and driving between clients and you will be on to a winner I'm sure. Also, having your own space means you could diversify and offer different treatments (if you want to) and boost your income that way.

I work from home and I absolutely love it and so do my clients. They love the privacy, peace and tranquility and I love it because it totally fits around my family and means I can offer a whole selection of services. My client base is growing every month :)

And if the the worse comes to the worse and your home salon doesn't work out, you can either go back to mobile or get a job in a salon and you will all have a bigger house with more space for the family!

Try and get hubby to take a longer term view on this!

Good luck
PB
x

I really think your limiting your earning potential with your hours so how can your hubby expect you to make a decent return whilst mobile and limited hours? Can you not set up a little area in your kitchen or dining room? Yes, you will need to keep the room tidy and not have too over powering cooking smells when you have clients (a few scented candles will solve that) but at least the kids will still have the tv room. Maybe when things pick up your hubby will see that you could do with a space in your new home. The problem is, trying to prove its worth it to hubby may not work as it will take time to build a client base and some months may be quieter than others.

I think you have to decide if you want to make a go of it or take the pressure off yourself and wait until the kids are a bit older and just be content with doing the odd days you are doing now.

I think you've answered your own question really....as you've already identified, working from home will bring you more flexibility and availability which equals more clients!! Couple that with vastly reduced overheads from not having to pay out for fuel and the time you use packing up and driving between clients and you will be on to a winner I'm sure. Also, having your own space means you could diversify and offer different treatments (if you want to) and boost your income that way.

I work from home and I absolutely love it and so do my clients. They love the privacy, peace and tranquility and I love it because it totally fits around my family and means I can offer a whole selection of services. My client base is growing every month :)

And if the the worse comes to the worse and your home salon doesn't work out, you can either go back to mobile or get a job in a salon and you will all have a bigger house with more space for the family!

Try and get hubby to take a longer term view on this!

Good luck
PB
x

totally agree, when I read my post after posting it, It did cross that I'd answered my own question! lol
Definately trying to get my husband to see it long term...
xx

I really think your limiting your earning potential with your hours so how can your hubby expect you to make a decent return whilst mobile and limited hours? Can you not set up a little area in your kitchen or dining room? Yes, you will need to keep the room tidy and not have too over powering cooking smells when you have clients (a few scented candles will solve that) but at least the kids will still have the tv room. Maybe when things pick up your hubby will see that you could do with a space in your new home. The problem is, trying to prove its worth it to hubby may not work as it will take time to build a client base and some months may be quieter than others.

I think you have to decide if you want to make a go of it or take the pressure off yourself and wait until the kids are a bit older and just be content with doing the odd days you are doing now.

My house really is tiny and cramped. Every little bit space is taken up. Downstairs we only have a kitchen and living room, and both of those are tiny. Gosh, our house seemed big when we first moved here with only 1 baby! With 3 growing boys... lol
Guess I'll have to stay as I am for now, and just work on getting this house sold! We had planned to be on the market in the new year, but that never happened.
xx

My house really is tiny and cramped. Every little bit space is taken up. Downstairs we only have a kitchen and living room, and both of those are tiny. Gosh, our house seemed big when we first moved here with only 1 baby! With 3 growing boys... lol
Guess I'll have to stay as I am for now, and just work on getting this house sold! We had planned to be on the market in the new year, but that never happened.
xx

Aw I guess that answers your question then, I wouldn't want to put the extra pressure on myself making it work as a home salon (but I am super fussy and would want it immaculate if I had clients, not easy to do in a fully functioning family home). Just stay as you are, build up your clients then sort out a little room when you move (or by then you may want to rent a room?)

Latest posts

Back