Years of training vs 1/2 day courses?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jord98

Reaction score
Just wondering what others think on this subject as I spent 2 years in college whilst perfecting my craft at home and mobile but from what I can see most therapists in my area and I use the word therapist loosely are basically qualified from numerous courses taken over a week or so.

Do clients care about qualifications with ongoing training or do the majority just care about their pockets?

Jordan

Initially I think they are often driven by their pockets, lets face it, we work in a luxury industry but people only have a certain amount of spare money. However, I think after a while they become more aware of the treatments they are having, what they expect from it and their therapist, THEN they start to realise qualifications matter. When the therapist can't explain why the treatment is not giving the expected results, when the nails pop off after 2 days, when the hair extensions are poorly installed....that's when the penny drops and they understand our worth.

Are you saying I am not just as passionate and equipped and knowledgeable in my craft because I have taken day/short courses over your 2 years in college. I have still spent time and money to become insured, buy my products and put effort into my skills.

A girl I knew spent 2 years in college and couldn't paint a nail straight. She got sacked. I have a thriving business.

What is your issue?

I think you have missed the point, lots of people in my area are cramming in courses on various treatments in a very short time this is not good for the industry in my eyes.

The girl who spent 2 years in college and couldn't paint a nail straight a. Should not have qualified & b.Should have probably given up I studied to level 3 as this is my calling and wanted qualifications to back me up as a professional.

Issue? With you none it seems you have taken this very personally, I posted this to gauge what long standing professionals thought about it and whether clients cared.

It is my personal opinion that someone who crams in various courses in a short time unless it is refreshers is not professional.

I hope your business continues to thrive.

Jordan

Sorry I think my post came across a bit abrupt it was not intended!

The people cramming into day courses and wanting to earn a quick buck and produce shoddy work wont last long at all. People want a good deal but they also don't want to waste money and have sub standard results.

I haven't taken it personally, for me I couldn't go to full time college to learn level 2 or 3 because I had young children and a mortgage and I needed to work full time.

I don't see anything wrong with anyone doing short/day courses if they take them seriously, and gain adequate insurance. Everyone has different circumstances.

At the end of the day I think the results we produce speak for themselves regardless of how you got your qualification.

Thank you - you too.

No Problem,

It's just frustrating seeing people taking courses in a short space and offering the same treatments that I offer, the difference being I have put in real hard work at college and in the evenings perfecting my craft over nearly 3 years to get to the point now where I feel I am ready to open my shop in November.

I do also get where you're coming from and can see that your response was born out of the passion for your craft.

Take care

Jordan

No Problem,

It's just frustrating seeing people taking courses in a short space and offering the same treatments that I offer, the difference being I have put in real hard work at college and in the evenings perfecting my craft over nearly 3 years to get to the point now where I feel I am ready to open my shop in November.

I do also get where you're coming from and can see that your response was born out of the passion for your craft.

Take care

Jordan
I work full time in a warehouse, most days 10 hours, I would love to be able to go to college and get a qualification but unfortunately this will never happen. I have done short courses in a lot of things and I consider myself very good at what I do. I study everything online so I know the ins and outs of the treatments I offer. My clients are happy and don't care I haven't got a qualification, they just want a decent job doing.

I work full time in a warehouse, most days 10 hours, I would love to be able to go to college and get a qualification but unfortunately this will never happen. I have done short courses in a lot of things and I consider myself very good at what I do. I study everything online so I know the ins and outs of the treatments I offer. My clients are happy and don't care I haven't got a qualification, they just want a decent job doing.

Just one question did you take these courses over time then perfect the treatment before offering it to the general public? What I am trying to say which my posts have not been able to explain is I know of people offering numerous treatments instantly which they have learnt over days. Certificate 12:30 offering treatments 12:31 Sorry I just can't get my head round the timescales but that could be just me.

God I thought I was busy I don't envy your hours split between a need and a passion, I hope that you can one day quit your job and take it full time if that is what you want of course.

I have worked in bars,cafes and retail since I was 15 never really happy in any of them, my last job in retail for a major store was the final straw where I realised if I didn't get out and give it a go I would never truly be happy and once my mind was set everything just seemed to fall into place going to be in debt for a while but I am sure it will be worth it.

Last thing, I am not against these courses as I will be using them myself just believe some people take the mick.

Hope I have cleared this up now as I did not come here to insult or upset anyone, I came here to learn from seasoned professionals to make sure I give my business the best possible chance.

Jordan

Just one question did you take these courses over time then perfect the treatment before offering it to the general public? What I am trying to say which my posts have not been able to explain is I know of people offering numerous treatments instantly which they have learnt over days. Certificate 12:30 offering treatments 12:31 Sorry I just can't get my head round the timescales but that could be just me.

God I thought I was busy I don't envy your hours split between a need and a passion, I hope that you can one day quit your job and take it full time if that is what you want of course.

I have worked in bars,cafes and retail since I was 15 never really happy in any of them, my last job in retail for a major store was the final straw where I realised if I didn't get out and give it a go I would never truly be happy and once my mind was set everything just seemed to fall into place going to be in debt for a while but I am sure it will be worth it.

Last thing, I am not against these courses as I will be using them myself just believe some people take the mick.

Hope I have cleared this up now as I did not come here to insult or upset anyone, I came here to learn from seasoned professionals to make sure I give my business the best possible chance.

Jordan
I understand what you mean. I have seen therapists actually advertising, already taking bookings for treatments they are about to go on a course for!

If you are passionate and dedicated you can do a lot of research and learn about the theory and A&P yourself, but I believe that there are a lot of treatments that you need more than 1 day of practical work to master. Take nail enhancements for example. Even after intensive training it can take a long time to master. I can't speak for all short courses, but I do know that there are a lot out there that take your money and there's absolutely no follow up after that one day course. They're given a certificate that often just says they attended a course, rather than a qualification.

Unfortunately there are people out there that just want a short cut to start up a nail business and don't realise the course is just the beginning and they still have so much to learn. You can often tell by some of the questions that get asked over and over again on SG, things they should have been taught on their course but weren't.

I would also like to add that this is definitely not always the case with EVERYONE who has done short courses and of course some courses are better than others, but there definitely are a lot of people out there who think they can go straight out and work on the paying public after a short course without any further practising or studying :-(

I understand what you mean. I have seen therapists actually advertising, already taking bookings for treatments they are about to go on a course for!

Yeh I forgot to mention that!

I think short courses are fine for some treatments, not so much for others. For example, I don't personally think a 1-day massage course is going to give the knowledge and experience you need.

But if you're already qualified in basic manicure, for example, and you want to take a 1-day Shellac course, that would be fine. The foundation knowledge is already there, you're just building on it.

It depends on the course. I studied Aromatherapy for a year and still dont feel it is enough so a one day course woudnt be sufficient. Ive training in massage, sports massage, reflexology all for a year at a time and have just done a one day course in hot stones. This felt right.

I think the foundation stuff like A&P and therapy standards should be longer courses and one day sessions used as top ups.

Ultimately a therapist is her own product so if they are there to make a quick £ with a few day courses this will show. There has been a 'dumbing down' of education in the industry sadly.

Latest posts

Back