Young teenage workers

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If i could see stuff needed doing i wouldnt of ever havd sat down... and i would look for stuff to do. I end up getting really arsey with this girl which isnt nice but its so frustrating :mad:

When I was an apprentice I didn't even get to rough dry my bosses clients in the second year, because she was scared I poach them! I was desperate to do ANYTHING to a real head.

When I worked in another salon I got told off by the boss because i asked the apprentice to do too much! She would rather clean than shampoo or rough dry!! None of the other stylists asked her to shampoo because she was so slow!

Lol well at least she's tenacious haha! I've just been offered a new apprentice from another provider... I'm soooo not ready for this, their so pushy in the training centre so I offered them a meeting, urgh not sure I want the headache of another young one again at the mo!

What are the regs on having a 15 year old (my niece) work through the summer hols? Anyone know?

I've looked at hmrc guidelines before, have a look in regards to employment under 16. I do remember it saying that legally they shouldn't work any more than 5 hours and should go a maximum of 4 hours before having a break xx

There was something on another thread about that I will see if I can find it

Kahuna i would be telling your apprentices that you have someone else very eager to be in training and if they dont start pulling their socks up and knuckle down they will find themselves being replaced rather swiftly! They dont need to know the headache it is trying to get rid of an aprentice they just need the riot act being read to them!

As I want a career change to something I was interested in I qualified last year as a mature(ish) student. Comments about the attitude of some younger juniors frustrate me as they don't realise how lucky they are to have the opportunity to gain salon experience. There are few jobs available without this and I'd give my right arm to be in their place and get my foot in the door somewhere! I worked full time while training in the evenings and paid for all my own fees etc. As the under 19s get their fees paid by the government I don't think some of them appreciate the value of what they have. Sorry - I realise I'm ranting slightly but I get so frustrated about this subject [emoji1]

As they say..."Youth is wasted on the young". :D

Kahuna i would be telling your apprentices that you have someone else very eager to be in training and if they dont start pulling their socks up and knuckle down they will find themselves being replaced rather swiftly! They dont need to know the headache it is trying to get rid of an aprentice they just need the riot act being read to them!
I already got rid of them lol it was a new one being brought to me last week... They diddnt even turn up, with not even so much as a call from the company to let me know too!

Latest posts

Back