Your Own Nail Varnish Collection

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LadyGray

Reaction score
Excuse me, this might turn out to be a bit of a ramble.:o

Long before I decided to train in nails I was a polish enthusiast. (hence the eventual career change!). As such I've got quite a huge (think 300) collection of nail varnish (Deborah Lippmann, OPI, China Glaze, Essie etc).

As a mobile service I purchased 25 Orly polish (all one brand to keep a professional image). But it's quite limited of course.

And I like to wear my own polish, and I have some utterly fab glitters, all the metal crackle top coats, all sorts of things to brighten up a manicure...

So geeks, do you only wear the polishes you offer or do you wear any from your own collection. some of my personal collection are wonderful and I feel that if I wear them then people may want them too... but I can't carry everything around and of course they are not all the same brand...

So what do you think?

Do you wear polishes you don't offer?
If you are mobile, are you prepared to offer your own polishes, even if you don't carry them around with you?
Is it worth putting all the glitters and crackle polishes on nail wheels to show clients and then I could bring the polish they choose with me the next time?
Should I just stick to my professional 25 Orly polish or gels, and stop wearing my own polishes?

What say you?
Thanks in advance!

Charlie

I only offer opi polish , as such I wear opi and sell opi. It's each to their own I think x

Attachments

• ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1310222761.989007.jpg
    ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1310222761.989007.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 141
Hey I use Gelish and wouldnt dream of wearing anything apart from that on my nails I also do minx and kooky wraps and again that the only think you will ever see on my toes- apart from anything I am a fab advertisment for my servies - this week already I have been asked over 10 times while out and about about my toes or nails and I always have a business card in my bag I can give to those who ask where I got my nails done :)

However it does seem a shame to have your personal collection sitting arounf esp when they are still very good professional products so I think you could do 3 things 1- when someone books in ask if they have a colour in mind if so take all products in that colour or 2 as you said do a nail wheel then at your next appointment with each client show them your other products and they can choose if they want them for next appointment, 3 you should put a pic of colours on nail wheels on your website for people to see the wide varity of polishes you have xx

Thank you both. Iw as afraid that people might say stick to what you are offering. And I am actually only wearing Artistic Colour Gloss at the moment as I love it. But I keep looking lovingly at my Lippman Glitters which are out of this world and I want to wear them!

If you have your core collection of colours but sometimes wear something different why not just take the odd polish with you when doing your clients... I guess you really want to be using the ones in your kit not your own on clients (especially if it's the only one you have and may not be replaceable)

I also use Orly and have found the minis are ace for retailing, maybe you could get a few of the minis in there are some v funky colours available and they wont take up so much space. I find that if I give my ladies too much choice that they always end up going with the sameones unless I get a new collection (like the pin up or happy collections)

Jess x

Hello

When I first started my salon, I could not afford a full and complete professional brand. So took my personal collection and slowly built up my attitude collection. I now have a nice selection of colours and love them but still have my old collection lurking in the salon as a back up. Some are expensive professional brands but not complete sets if you know what I mean.

I would maybe carry wheels like you suggested and if you could get a carry case maybe keep them in the car and get them only if the customer wants one from the wheel. I guess you always want to promote your chosen brand, especially if you are retailing it too. Always good to have a back up especially if you have it on too as your right this will attract customers to wanting the same.

Hope this helps some xxx

Latest posts

Back