Youtube tutorials and fads

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Layercaeks

Reaction score
Does it worry you guys that there are so many tutorials out there? There are some good ones that can take money out of our pockets and ones that make our jobs harder. I was just want to know your opinion.

I confess to watching quite a few YouTube tutorials myself and enjoy being updated/ educated/ entertained by what's being done
However......
It's so annoying that some girls think that they know it all by 'learning' from a video clip of some random doing a crappy paint job on her nails, and then come and try and tell me my job 😁😁😁😁

A lot of them wind me up a bit! I saw a very popular youtube 'beauty guru' showing people how to wax their underarms at home. It was so horrendous, a lot of information completely incorrect, and it mostly worried me that thousands and thousands had watched it and potentially copied and taken o incorrect, amateur advice!
I quite like some make up tutorials though :) some can be useful - I'm not slating all at all :)

Our clients come to us because of us. There are many clients that come in because they screwed up their hair thinking they can do it by watching a video. Also, everyone is different. I have clients who can not curl their hair they way they want no matter how hard they try. Having these videos out there makes me try that much harder to be the best stylist I can be.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using SalonGeek mobile app

I personally love the professional videos. And most people cannot replicate that at home. (That would be like me trying to repair my car. Not going to happen.)

But I am glad you started this thread as I thought of starting similar. I feel bad for people who are going to listen to someone not trained in the industry who does their roots monthly with volume 40. (And no I'm not of the mindset that if they follow a video then they deserve to burn their scalp.)

I think gone are the days that client have to come to you to get their hair done.

We promote so much more education in the salon, teaching the client how to blowdry, curl, we sell them products and brushes, curling irons etc. we defo aren't loosing out!

I want my client to look good all the time without me there, so then all her friends will say 'your hair always looks good- who's your hairdresser?'

Blowdry/ styling lessons are big business, you should be teaching your clients, then they don't need to watch YouTube.

The funniest thing I've seen on YouTube is some one recommending to put sunblock on there hands before putting them in the uv lamp 😂

Latest posts

Back