zone 1 problem...

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tracie1

Reaction score
Ow gosh! Whats going wrong?? :eek:

I qualified last year and ive only just started to have this problem...

My natural nails are quite short but over the last couple of days slowly but very surely half of each ''zone 1'' keeps snapping off!!

It isnt where it 'meets' zone 2 - its where my own natural nail finishes :confused:

Is it my mix? Im not intentionally doing anything different. I always do my own nails and never before has this happened!!

Please help me sort it out geeks!! xx

I find they tend to snap off if I have over filed them and they are too thin.
But hey, I'm no expert so will watch this thread too.:confused:

Do you mean your natural nails are snapping or your enhancements? Is this on yourself only or on clients also.

Are you tipping or sculpting?

Do you mean that the side piece of zone 1 is snapping off?

sorry, obviously didnt describe it very well!!

Yeah its L&P - its straight across zone 1 but not at the smile - about half way up the free edge (where my own natural nail finishes underneath)

Do you think I should maybe file my own nail a little shorter before sculpting zone 1? But if thats the reason then why has only just started to happen?

Its only just happened the last couple of days but im panicking like hell cos ive only just unleashed myself on clients thinking I was worthy and now this has happened!!!!!!!!!!

They are the same thickness (or rather thinness!) they have always been so i dont think its due to over-filing:eek:

Hope that helps you to help me!!!!!!!!!

Are the forms butted right up to the free edge so that there is no gap? If there's a gap you will think that you are sculpting to your normal thickness, but because you will be getting seepage between the form and the free edge, the amout of product you will have on top of the naill will be less as you've lost a lot of it to seepage.....if this makes sense!

So your enhancement free edge will be thinner than you think it is, which might be what's causing it to snap.

Are the forms butted right up to the free edge so that there is no gap? If there's a gap you will think that you are sculpting to your normal thickness, but because you will be getting seepage between the form and the free edge, the amout of product you will have on top of the naill will be less as you've lost a lot of it to seepage.....if this makes sense!

So your enhancement free edge will be thinner than you think it is, which might be what's causing it to snap.

Great thinking batman ... my thoughts exactly!!! Well put too ... I understood you anyway and I think it is also the reason for the problem. Product too thin over the natural nail but appearing to be thicker because product has seeped under the free edge between it and the form.

Ahaa! So thats what im doing wrong?

I knew you could sort it out for me - Thank you!

So if im extending rather than doing a natural nail overlay is it best to reduce the length of the free edge before fitting the form? Or do I need to go back and perfect the way Im fitting the forms? ive always been ok in the past :irked:

Oh well, its all about being the best we can be isnt it!

Actually, sorry if this is 2 threads in 1 but you know when you fit your forms, do any of you (or were you trained to) cut the shape to fit/mirror the natural nail shape? I dont use the horse-shoe ones I use the oblong ones (I know that sounds unprofessional lol but its getting near my bedtime and I cant think of what they might be called!!!)

Many Thanx

If you can fit the form properly without having to reduce the length of the natural nail then do that, but just make sure there's no gap, if you have to take the length down a bit take it down, see you've answered your own questions here lol!

Yes, sometimes you do have to cut or tailor your forms to get them to fit right, you know what it's like when you're trying to fit the form and you think darn, if only that bit in the middle wasn't there this form would be as snug as a bug.....just cut the offending part of the form out!

HTH

Latest posts

Back