Acrylic lifting!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

keritipping

Reaction score
it only happens when I put it on my natural nail but when I glue tips on its fine and it can last up to two weeks. what am I doing wrong?

Could you tell us a bit more about what products you are using and your procedure? It's hard to pinpoint the problem without a bit more detail :) x

well I remove my cuticles, use sanding block, then this spray thing to remove oils and dust from my nail (The Edge), primer then the acrylic. but when I use tips I glue them on after cuticle removal and sanding block. is that enough?:)

Hi :) are the nails lifting at the free edge or atound the cuticle area? Do they lift with every client or just some of them?

Have you done any enhancement training?

There are lots of reasons it could be happening, leaving cuticle behind, l&p too thick or too thin, touching ths skin, incorrect product ratio, not applying the right pressure with your brush to create a good bond. Speaking from experience, the Edge isn't the easiest product to use. Where did you train? Might be worth getting a 1-2-1 session to iron out any issues.

Thanks, i'll take them into consinderation. I only do my own nails as I am not qualified. And it only lifts at the tip of my nails. I'm not a professional and have watched tonnes of YouTube video's and can't seem to find what the problem is. When I dip the brush into the acrylic I wipe it on the edge of the dappen dish twice and dip it in the powder twice too. Is that how I am meant to do it? Which acrylic products would you recommend?

You would probably be better off having your nails professionally done. Professionals have the proper training to prevent lifting.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using SalonGeek

Thankyou, I enjoy doing them plus its so much cheaper to do it myself haha but I'll just ask tonnes of questions when I get them done:lol:

hiya

like above you may be making the nail too thin or thick or leaving cuticle behind or maybe not correct application..

as a cheaper alternative to paying full prices try and see if any colleges or students are offering for you to be a model sometimes these are free or you may have to pay a little towards the product used.:D

You would probably be better off having your nails professionally done. Professionals have the proper training to prevent lifting.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using SalonGeek

Agreed, also without training you open yourself to the risk of over exposure, meaning you could cause yourself an allergy to the product. All of the good product providers will ask that you're qualified too. Good idea about asking local colleges for trainee prices though if you want to save money! Or if you really enjoy doing them why not look into training yourself? Might be the best move you ever make :) x

Thankyou, I enjoy doing them plus its so much cheaper to do it myself haha but I'll just ask tonnes of questions when I get them done:lol:

It doesn't end up being cheaper if they keep lifting though does it? You'll end up wasting way more product, money and time than you need to. As well as the dangers of over exposure etc as a previous poster mentioned. You've come on a professional forum asking for advice, I'd suggest that you keep getting them done professesionally or get training yourself. Please take this as the way it's intended, genuine advice.

You can do shirt courses that would enable you to be able to sort these problems yourself and even do your own clients. If you don't have any training at all you could encounter all sorts of problems.
At a guess though, I'd say if its the tip of your nails that's lifting you maybe aren't using enough product at the tip. Try to pull it over the free edge a little so you aren't leaving layers open. Also things like washing up without gloves can make it worse. Very true in my case. Any edge with open layers can have water seep through and lift. Perhaps a gel topcoat would be a good alternative

Thankyou everyone, maybe an acrylic training course would be a good idea. I do save money when I put tips on as they do not lift and stay on for at least two week. Maybe the lifting is caused from washing clients hair?

I'd say it's likely. I know when i used to rush my own nails and not make sure the ends were sealed that this happened to me. It was gel so a bit different but it's the same principle

thanks, I'll have them done professionally and then copy them when I do mine again afterwards:)

thanks, I'll have them done professionally and then copy them when I do mine again afterwards:)

This is so wrong. Do you honestly believe that's the kind of advice you would receive on a professional forum, from professionals who have spent years and money on perfecting their application?! If it's to do your own nails..well you've already been warned of implications. Watching a pro do your nails won'tmake you one ;)

I don't want to be a professional, I just want to do my own nails. I have done fine in the past, it's just without the tips I'm struggling with. With tips on they are perfect and that's without training so I can't be doing that bad to say its a difficult thing to do.

I don't want to be a professional, I just want to do my own nails. I have done fine in the past, it's just without the tips I'm struggling with. With tips on they are perfect and that's without training so I can't be doing that bad to say its a difficult thing to do.

I started out just as you did, from the age of about 15 playing around with products with no idea what I was doing, I actually thought I was quite good at it, I also enjoyed it so much I decided to do it as a career and did my training. This is when I released I wasn't as good as I thought ;). There's many geeks on here that have spent £1000's of pounds on very good training so you will find that your comments may come across as a little insulting.

I appreciate that your not doing nails on the general public just your own but just be aware that your using products that if used without training and knowing the chemistry behind those products can cause over exposure which could lead on to allergies. Training to become a nail technician covers a whole lot more than how to just stick a nail on ;)

As I have said, I am not training however maybe in the future I would do a acrylic course when and if I can afford it. As of the minute I am trying to perfect it myself by asking professionals for advise, I don't see nothing wrong with that. I appreciate many of the others help and understand that to give me advise they need to see exactly how I'm doing it therefore I have decided to have my nails done professionally to see what I am doing wrong. Many people can learn just by watching videos, as I am one of them but obviously not as good as a professional but good enough for me. And I know people who have gone on a one day course to just learn about acrylic, so it can't be that difficult to learn.

Latest posts

Back