Clients asking for recommendations

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NatCas

Reaction score
Hello Everyone

I am very new to all this, I have just completed a nail technician course and am currently trying to build up my experience before going mobile.

I am currently working on family and friends and have found that they all seem to have asked "what do think will suit me best?"

How do you all answer this question? If you have a client with no contra-indications and nice healthy nails what is your go to system? Is there a particular system that seems to be most popular for clients at the moment?

Do you always apply tips for acrylics and gels or are clients happy to have these over their natural nails and let them grow in time?

I am quite confident in gel polish as this is something I have done on my own nails for some time now but the L&P system and hard gels are very new to me and I am reluctant to ask any family or friends that don't usually have these on to have them just so I can practice.

Looking for advice please :D TIA

Well a lot of this would be covered in the consultation & also when a client books in they'll have a good idea of what they want, length with extensions, manicure, manicure with gel polish etc! I would suggest if your practising on your friends & family, never mind about "what suits them best" I'd be more like right, your having extensions because that's what I need to practice! How are you going to improve if you have no guinea pigs!! [emoji6]

I laugh and say if I choose, it'll be yellow and we laugh and then they choose lol

I try not to intervene really but will steer them away from something that doesn't flatter their skin tone if I can. :)

I have found over the years that when I am asked, they will decline, "Umm not exactly a pink person per say" or "blondes shouldn't wear yellow!" And "that is a bright red!"
So I always tell them they are the ones wearing it and seeing it for the next couple of weeks so they should be happy picking their own choice.

In your consultation you can ask about what the clients, or friend / family members nail goals are, for both their own natural nails and for what they would like to have on their nails.

Show them what you can provide to suit their needs from both a natural nails and product service perspective.

Once you are really familiar with all of your kit and colours you will naturally be able to give guidance on these, you can learn about skin tone and colours which helps match up clients with colours that they love, and maybe would not dream of trying before.

It's always great to engage the person in the choice too and remind them that what they like is best for them (so long as they are not asking you to do stuff that is not reccomended on your training, etc, etc) ... some times this may take a little while but it does help clients with future choices should they book you again.

Rachel

Well a lot of this would be covered in the consultation & also when a client books in they'll have a good idea of what they want, length with extensions, manicure, manicure with gel polish etc! I would suggest if your practising on your friends & family, never mind about "what suits them best" I'd be more like right, your having extensions because that's what I need to practice! How are you going to improve if you have no guinea pigs!! [emoji6]

Thank you fluffy26, I will start telling them what I need them to be having while I practice :)

I laugh and say if I choose, it'll be yellow and we laugh and then they choose lol

I try not to intervene really but will steer them away from something that doesn't flatter their skin tone if I can. :)
Thank you Blossom, I suppose most people have an idea of what they are after as an end result anyway so like you suggest, I may just have to steer people in the right direction every now and again.

I have found over the years that when I am asked, they will decline, "Umm not exactly a pink person per say" or "blondes shouldn't wear yellow!" And "that is a bright red!"
So I always tell them they are the ones wearing it and seeing it for the next couple of weeks so they should be happy picking their own choice.
Thank you Biljana, I will remember that, they are the one who will be looking at it for the next couple of weeks, that is good advice to give the client :)

In your consultation you can ask about what the clients, or friend / family members nail goals are, for both their own natural nails and for what they would like to have on their nails.

Show them what you can provide to suit their needs from both a natural nails and product service perspective.

Once you are really familiar with all of your kit and colours you will naturally be able to give guidance on these, you can learn about skin tone and colours which helps match up clients with colours that they love, and maybe would not dream of trying before.

It's always great to engage the person in the choice too and remind them that what they like is best for them (so long as they are not asking you to do stuff that is not reccomended on your training, etc, etc) ... some times this may take a little while but it does help clients with future choices should they book you again.

Rachel
Thank you Rachel. I think I have found the gel system that I want to invest in now so I am going to do as you say and learn about skin tones and appropriate colours in the range, as you say, may take sometime but it will help me to give a good client experience in the end. I am going to make sure the "nail goals" is a top priority question in my client consultation.
Thanks again.

Latest posts

Back