Fat thumb with very wide short nails - has anyone come across these before?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wasnt this one of the nail conditions in that other thread? :eek:
Nail disease. DermNet NZ .. number 1 or 3 under the heading Abnormalities of nail shape? no? or is that different?

I cant see one that looks like it in there.

Wasnt this one of the nail conditions in that other thread? :eek:
Nail disease. DermNet NZ .. number 1 or 3 under the heading Abnormalities of nail shape? no? or is that different?

No, Tsia, that's how come i found that site yesterday, whilst i was searching for thie type of thumb!

Well, considering they are fairly common, you'd think there would be a name for them?!

Looks like Jac's 'Bigtoeitis' or 'Onycholythumbtoeitis' like Sassy said is what i'll be calling it from now on then!

i have had a few clients in the past with these thumbs..sculpting is definitely the way to go. my son has these thumbs..we call them his"playstation thumbs",lol.

i was told that they are called hammer thumbs by one of my clients who had this, don't why they are called that though.

I as well have always heard them called club nails.....here is a link to what I found .....
Clubbing - Patient UK

I dont know about that melissa, the ones I have seen are perfectly normal just wider than average with a nail like a toe nail, I have never seen one that looks or seems painfull or springy.

I dont know about that melissa, the ones I have seen are perfectly normal just wider than average with a nail like a toe nail, I have never seen one that looks or seems painfull or springy.

I'm stumped then....no pun intended......the ones I have seen like this are not painful....but more sensitive than the others....will have to do more reseach then to get to the bottom of this matter ok try this one.....
Nail Disease: Signs for the Internist

My Aunt's thumb is like that, except for her whole thumb is just wide, it's not clubbed at the end though. I used to put a tip on her thumb, then cut lengthwise off another tip, glue it on then put the overlay on top....that was before I realized that sculpting could be so fun!!

She's in Arizona now, so I doubt if I will have another chance to practice on her nails again :cry:

i wouldnt say it is an abnormality as such, as I see nothing in that link either, it maybe just genetic, like eye colour or or any normal difference in natural nail shapes.

i wouldnt say it is an abnormality as such, as I see nothing in that link either, it maybe just genetic, like eye colour or or any normal difference in natural nail shapes.
I agree with Jac here, the ones I have seen are definately not club nails, neither is the pic posted by Lidewei IMO....I think club nails are pretty rare and they do come as part and parcel of a medical diagnosis.

I agree with Jac here, the ones I have seen are definately not club nails, neither is the pic posted by Lidewei IMO....I think club nails are pretty rare and they do come as part and parcel of a medical diagnosis.

Cathie & Jac are right, it's not 'club' nails or even the kind of nail you can get with 'crones disease'.

What i originally referred to is exactly like the picture lidewei posted.

I have not as yet, managed to locate anything on the internet, perhaps it's just too common.....no offense intended BTW

Nail shape is a directly inherited gene and if you look to your parents and grandparents, you will find your own nails right there on one of them :) .

Although bad habits can cause abnormalities of shape, that is not the case with most of the people you see with thumbs like this.

Can't say I know the name for this thumb shape but I suppose it is like a hammer toe, hence someone referring to it as hammer thumb.

In my opinion the best way to treat this type of nail, it to make it as inconspicuous as possible (short and neat). You can't really enhance it as such. It is good that it is only on the thumbs in the cases you site, because thumbs are so easy to conceal.

I turned a client away once and only once in my career, and this poor lady had this shape on every finger!!! Poor lady could not hide it away and I knew that to do her nails would only attract attention to them. There was no way I could make them pretty. Every nail was 3 times wider than it was long and stretched from one side of the finger to the other. I felt so bad that I could not help her out.

Thanks Gigi, its nice to know we were on the right lines, as they definitely don't appear to be abnormal, just different to most nails you see.

I feel sorry for the lady that had them on all her fingers though, must have made her feel very self conscious, did you advise her at all, on how to make the best of them under the circumstances, eg a dark or lighter varnish or none at all.

There was no way that anything could have improved these nails .. so sad.

Enamel would only have made them more visible.

Any more length would have only exaggerated and drawn attention to them.

The only advice I could give her was to keep her hands and the skin on her hands in good condition with good products and regular use. I also advised her to keep smiling as she had a beautiful smile and most people would not see past that!!

I have seen this two times already.....a family friend a long time ago and an actress on tv. I believe the problem has something to do with Broad thumb-hallux (Rubinstein-Taybi) syndrome. That's the closest thing i could come up with.

My mum has one of these. She calls it a dwarf thumb. She inherited it (fortunately I didnt!)

Size 1 tips dont fit anywhere near close! She likes her enhancements reasonably short anyway so the length isnt an issue in terms of drawing attention to it.

When I do her nails I either sculpt on a form, or put a size 1 tip as central as I can, then "build" the acrylic at either side so that the product is parralel with the side walls. Perhaps not a very precise description, but hopefully you know wht I mean!

I've got 2 neices- ones my brothers daughter and ones my sisters daughter and they both have what they've nicknamed as "toe thumbs". but no one else in our past has ahd them!! strange:confused:

my aunt has these thumbs...now it could be a Northern term but anyone who I know who has this type of thumb has always called it a 'spade' thumb... I have only ever heard it referred to as this...

like I say...it could be just a localised term for it...xxx

Weird that I came across this site because I actually was searching for a scientific name for these types of thumbs and this is where it brought me. I am not a nail tech but I do have these thumbs. lol they look just like my best friend's toes!! I inherited these babies because I guess my grandpa's brothers and sisters had them....as well as my cousin. I am still looking for a name for them..but it is very rare for me to come across anyone with them besides my cousin. I get my nails done every so often and it's always the thumbs that lift first.:!:

Latest posts

Back