Fat thumb with very wide short nails - has anyone come across these before?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
the many faces of nails :) i forgot about the hammer.

Blondie has it right. The scientific name is brachydactyly of the distal xpennyx. It is called "stub thumb" not "club thumb" although we have always called it "toe thumb". My 2 sisters and I all have it on both hands and we always kind of thought it was normal. It took other people to point out that it's not. Our dad has it on one hand and none of our children have it. It is impossible to make the nails look pretty, so I just keep them short. If they get too long, they start to grow square!

the conditions common name is clubbed thumb, it is genetic.

My daughter has this...big fat toe thumbs lol xx

LOL my ex had thumbs like that!
I also remember a girl in my beauty school did as well, and I had to do sculpts on her. It wasn't easy... I had to cut the form

Morning peeps!

I thought i'd pop this thread on as it's been bugging me for awhile.

Over the past 3 years since i've been 'doing nails' i have come across a handfull of people with a kind of odd, bulbous thumb on either one or both hands. All other fingers and nails are normal.:!:

This thumb has always got a very wide nail which is always short, i wish i'd taken a pic of my last client last week who had thie condition on on hand.
So far my tip & overlay has stayed on ok.

The shape of the thumb is always the same on everyone. A lady who's daughter and husband had thumbs like it called it 'Cello Thumb' as in the musical instrument.

Has anyone any idea what i'm talking about ???? Or come accross it?

I look at them everyday - on my own hand! My husband calls them spoon thumbs!

I'm not sure what the official name for it is but in this area we call them club thumbs and it's a family trait in my family. My Great-Grandmother had clubbed thumbs, fingers, and toes. My Grandfathers big toes and thumbs are normal but his fingers and toes are clubbed. My mothers toes and thumbs are clubbed but her fingers are normal. One of my children has clubbed fingers and toes but fairly normal thumbs (slight clubbing). My fingers, thumbs, and small toes are normal but I have slight clubbing of the big toes but not as extreme as the other members of my family. I'm not sure what causes this but it would be interesting to know. It would also be intresting to know if this is related to any medical problems. I have only came across one client in the 10 years I've been in the business with clubbing and she was extremely embarassed about it. It doesn't bother me cause I'm used to it. :lol:

hey just thought i would say that its called brachydactyly thumb there are differnt types! i have it really bad in both thumbs but have two younger sisters one has normal thumbs the youngest had one like mine n one normal! it is genic & goes through the men!!!! my mum always told me it was hammer thumb n was coursed cos i have ashama! which i then found was wrong lol!!!! i had so much mic taken out of me at school n people still think there funny!!!! x

I didn't know it was passed through the men. That's weird because my Great-Grandmother was the first one to have them (that we know about) and then my Grandfather, Mother, Me and now my son. My Grandfather and Son are the only two men that has it. I think my mothers sisters have some clubbing also.

apartly it is! but the women seem to get it no one on my mums side have it but it goes back far on my dads side with men passing it to women n a girl at works mum has it n its passed through the men there as well! lol!! n a web site said to lol!!!! x

Ditto Lidewei!
I also have 2 "fat thumbs", and apart from my son who has inherited this trait, I have only ever met one other person who has fat thumbs. I also have "fat toes" (and so does my son).
The medical term is "brachydactyly", or "clubbed thumb". The adjective is "brachydactylus". Check out Wikipedia.
Artificail nails are out of the question!

"Brachydactyly" or "clubbed thumbs" is what you are referring to (check out Wikipedia).

I have 2 such thumbs, and my son has inherited them. We also have short, fat toes. I have only ever known one other person with "brachydactylus".

Artificial nails are out of the question!

Ooops, as you can see, I am a newbie!

on with "brachydactylus".

Artificial nails are out of the question!
Not ture. my daughter has them and I sculpted on her and use tipos. I have to use a 0-0 but I get the job done. I have photos in my albums of the type of thumb and of the work I have done on my daughters. There is no reason not to put acrylic on them! They are just like ever other finger, just a dif shape. Out of my 4 kids only my Daughter has it.:irked:

Magan Fox has one.
Megan-Fox-Thumb.jpg

Last edited:
Megan Fox I believe has that condition and they used a hand-double in ad for a cell phone lol!!!

hi! im totally new and still finding my feet on this site (i'm not even sure if i typing my reply in the right box so i hope this works! lol!):confused:

the condition is called "brachdactyly"... megan fox has it and has to use a hand double for commercials and close-ups

xxx

I have had gel nails and my thumbs looked o.k., but I have never tried acrylics. Must look into it!:)

I know EXACTLY what you are on about!! two of my friends have these thumbs, one of which i went to college with, and became a nightmare to do her nails with extensions. She was very aware of her thumbs and really had a thing about them. We always avoided white tips as these just did not look right, and when i did her nails i used clear tips, blended them in and on the thumbs i would make them a lot shorter than the others simply to take attention away from the fact they were different to the rest of her nails. it can be hard to find tips to fit these shape thumbs, but i feel its very important not to make a "big" thing aboit it as in my friends case she is obviously embarressed by them and i can tell she does not like it!!! xxx

Yes! I have been doing nails for 11 years now and have had quite a few clients with either 1 thumb or both being of your description.
I used to use Star nails XL tips, but i cant get hold of them anymore so now i just scuplt them a nail.
They are not different to anyother nail except its size of course!

I just sculpture on the enhancement. I make it as narrow on the sides as possible to give the illusion of being more narrow but make sure it still covers the nail walls of course. Then when I shape it I bring in the sides of the free edge just a tad to add to the illusion of being more narrow. when I put on the white gel I make it more narrow to add to that illusion yet again. It helps. She's never broken or chipped a thumb nail and she doesn't hate her thumbs anymore:)

Latest posts

Back