Gel II reviews please

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tiatia22

Reaction score
Hi, hearing good things about gel ll, more hard wearing etc... Has anyone any experience with it? Also it says led lamp, but other tecs. Have said UV lamp fine just cure for 2 mins. Any info would be great, don't know if to buy or not.

I've used it alongside shellac since November and I'm loving it. I've used my CND lamp until recently with no problems. We've had great results and it has been lasting brilliantly.

If I'm honest, I think the results look better than shellac and I'm more confident of the longevity so I steer my clients more towards gel ll.

We've had clients posting pics of their perfect nails with comments like "my nails after 18 days" which has had a lot of comments and response.

Love it x

Sent from my GT-I9195 using SalonGeek mobile app

I've used it alongside shellac since November and I'm loving it. I've used my CND lamp until recently with no problems. We've had great results and it has been lasting brilliantly.

If I'm honest, I think the results look better than shellac and I'm more confident of the longevity so I steer my clients more towards gel ll.

We've had clients posting pics of their perfect nails with comments like "my nails after 18 days" which has had a lot of comments and response.

Love it x

Oh thank you, I must try it now, we use shellac and gelish ,which works well 10_14 days, but then you see people with perfect nails into 3 and 4 wks, it makes you think is there something harder wearing. Mine chip usually day 3 or 4. :(

Another vote for Gel II, I use my CND lamp to cure for 2 mins each coat. I run it alongside Shellac, but personally I think it's stronger. Some of my clients are die hard Shellac and don't want to change, but I only wear Gel II now. x

Another vote for Gel II, I use my CND lamp to cure for 2 mins each coat. I run it alongside Shellac, but personally I think it's stronger. Some of my clients are die hard Shellac and don't want to change, but I only wear Gel II now. x

That's great thanks.x

Me too. It's the only thing that lasts on me!

Vic x

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

Just a little tip.
If a gel ll nail does chip - it only ever seems to happen with delamination - because there's no base coat, they are super easy to repair.
Very gently buff the nail and reapply colour - carefully recapping free edge, cure then top coat. Because it's such a thin finish, it's not noticeable.

I moved 2 radiators on Mondays and chipped 4 nails. They now look perfect and it took me about 3 minutes.

Vic x

I also use CND shellac but after hearing such good things about this am considering using both.

What routine do you do ?are there any tips for making it last atleast two weeks?

I also use CND shellac but after hearing such good things about this am considering using both.

What routine do you do ?are there any tips for making it last atleast two weeks?
Give bottles a good stir on first use, then turn upside down and roll between hands.

I use the Gel II super shine cleanser to prepare the nail, (I find this gives best results) you have to be meticulous with cleansing paying particular attention to the free edge, make sure the nail is completely dry before applying polish to avoid shrinking. There is no base so go straight in with colour coat, do not try and follow Shellac 'thin to win' application as this needs normal coats not too thick, but definitely not thin, top coat and wipe with super shine cleanser after approx 30 seconds.
If I know I'm going to be particularly harsh on my hands I do a second top coat for extra strength. HTH x

Fab thank you!
I had my nails done in a local salon that uses gel11 and they did 3 coats of colour ?

Fab thank you!
I had my nails done in a local salon that uses gel11 and they did 3 coats of colour ?
Yes I think some colours need three coats, especially the glitter ones (they need a coat of similar colour underneath), but the majority only need two. x

I bought 3 bottles the no wipe top coat and the cleanser and remover at Excel but I've yet to use it on a client and on myself it just shrinks back from the edges so much I gave up! It also stinks like a gel and I found it gloopy too :-( It's just not shellac I suppose.

I bought 3 bottles the no wipe top coat and the cleanser and remover at Excel but I've yet to use it on a client and on myself it just shrinks back from the edges so much I gave up! It also stinks like a gel and I found it gloopy too :-( It's just not shellac I suppose.

I had my nails done on Thursday and by Friday it had shrunk back quite a lot! Very strange! I still may give it a go though as I love the colours and the reaction brand x

You need to really scrub the nail plate prior to applying polish, almost squeaky clean, if it's gloopy stir with a spatula or orange wood stick first, then turn bottle upside down and give it a good roll between palms. Yes it does smell when first opened but that does seem to go away. You're right it's not Shellac, I was so used to Shellac that I was disappointed when I first used it, but decided to persevere as it was really strong on my nails, and now I love it.

I think lots of techs that are used to Shellac will find it different to use, but once you stop comparing it to Shellac and follow its own instructions, you will get on with it a lot better. I never got the full two weeks from Shellac before it lifted or chipped, but I actually got 3 and a half weeks from my last G2 application, because I was decorating and didn't have time to change it.

The Xtreme Shine top coat is stronger than the no wipe.:)

I bought six bottles of the reaction polishes and they were delivered yday so I decided to try them on myself today. I'm a cnd nail tech and I used d-sperse to clean my nail plate thoroughly. I also used a metal spatula to stir the polish first and then turned it upside down and rolled it Between my palms.. The smell is really, really strong. I can still smell it now hours after I've applied it! The applicator brush is really big and my nails are quite small so I struggled a bit applying it. But I haven't experienced any shrinkage yet and it doesn't feel heavy on my nails. Overall I would have to say I still prefer shellac as I find the application easier and there isn't much smell to te polish. But I have quite strong and healthy nails so the end result actually feels the same as shellac. But I am fascinated with the reaction polishes so am def going to stick with those as I've had quite a few clients asking me to stock them.

Make sure you are cleaning the nail plate effectively, including on and under the free edge as well as the stirring and rolling and you shouldn't get shrinkage.

Personally for me Shellac smells stronger and I am sensitive to strong smells and sneeze easily with them. Thankfully nothing but DSperse makes me really bad!

Had my first removal client today not great buffed top coat wrapped in foil used cnd nourish remover took ages is it because of cnd remover ?

Probably. I use acetone and it's a lot easier. They do a remover for Gel ll which is nice but comes in the smallest bottles, so until they do bigger, I'm on acetone!

Vic x

Sent from my SM-N910F using SalonGeek mobile app

I used NR on my very first removal and it didn't really touch it, so have used DSolve and now have the Gel II remover.

Yeah I think it's always easier to use the same brand of remover as the gel!

Latest posts

Back