Gel nails only lasting 2/3 days, help!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

safozzy

Reaction score
Hi, I've had various gel nails on for the last couple of weeks, I've tried shellac, gelish, opi gelcolour, they all are peeling after 3 days! Why is this? I have been going to different places everytime to try different products to see what suits bit no luck so far! They are peeling from the edge of my nail, I thought maybe the edge was left free but surely all 3 salons I visited can't make the same mistake?? I am a hairdresser but I don't shampoo and I wee gloves, or have my hands in water for long so I'm pretty sure I can rule that out. Driving me crazy and costing me a fortune! Hope someone can tell me more... :) xx

Unfortunately, your nails just may not be suited to gel polish - being a hairdresser, I'd recommend that you look into a stronger system.

I was dreading someone was going to say that! I guess acrylics or acrygel is the only option! Thanks for the reply x

I only use Bio Sculpture Gel, so I'm sure someone else can advise you further if you wanted to pursue Shellac; they do have Brisa Lite which I believe is for strengthening

Alternatively, Bio Sculpture could be an option as the gels involved can provide you with the strength it sounds like you need :)

Thanks I think will try those!! :)

:rolleyes:Could be that yr nails are too oily- if they or yr hands produce too much oil the gel can't adhere- just one of life's mysteries!

I have found that either a layer of structure gel or the gelish hard gel underneath the gelish lasts best on the nails that I do for the hairdressers in my salon.

Maybe even a short sculpt so that it just covers the free edge of the nail would help.

Were your nails sufficiently dry when you had them done? If you have been working shortly before the gel is applied, you nails may still have too much moisture from your products/washing hair.

Yes they were dry, I hadn't worked for 2 days when i had them done. Thanks for the replays I will try it all, Ben passed on to a nail tech with a good rep so hopefully she can help me

I have the same problem 😁so annoying!! I am also a hairdresser , if I have acrylics on I have no probs , but if it's just shellac or gellish it starts peeling off - always starts on my right hand , so my thought is it the heat from the dryer ?! Esp if I am doing a curly blow dry etc ?!so frustrating as I love having it done just find that it literally starts coming off after day 2/3 😒

I have got a couple of clients who are hairdressers and they come to me for gel polish, I haven't had any probs at all and I use ibd just gel so maybe find an ibd salon and give that a go :)

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

Well I thought it could be the heat but this time they peeled before I even made it to work! I used to have acrylics but I've completely gone off the idea of long nails, I just want them nice short and a nice shape! Thanks everyone I will be trying all these brands!! I won't give up! Lol

Unfortunately I'd suggest an acrylic product.
Any gel product applied will lift due to moisture from edge/oils in skin/nail bed.
I have a cosmetology background and found with myself and my hair dresser girlfriend our gels would not last either.
Acrylic with a gel top coat might be your last resort.

As a hairdresser I can't keep gel nails on. My nail tech uses bio sculpture and although better than others, I can only keep this looking good for a week tops. Unfortunately I need an acrylic overlay for the strength and lasting power. X

Well I thought it could be the heat but this time they peeled before I even made it to work! I used to have acrylics but I've completely gone off the idea of long nails, I just want them nice short and a nice shape! Thanks everyone I will be trying all these brands!! I won't give up! Lol

You don't have to have the typical square, acrylic, French tip extensions that look like spades (in my opinion)
I have an overlay over my natural nail length, and a round/almond shape. Then topped with polish. I hate fake looking nails. x

I use a brand called artistic and personally they work for me. I'm in and out water daily. Look into the brand and even get a few samples x

I use vinyl lux polish and washing hair and blow drying I get 5 days with no problems, I'm ready for something different by then anyway :) I keep my nails short, tip of finger even. I found if I left them longer nothing will last over 3 days.

Four weeks on a hairstylist that was losing hope.
LCN is the answer for any hairstylist, ever since I switched I haven't looked back.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using SalonGeek mobile app

Attachments

• 1405904890102.jpg
    1405904890102.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 115

Latest posts

Back