Hair lengths advice please

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree with adam, I do think its misleading...then amateurs post the same old questions and the pros get quite rightly frustrated-myself included from beauty. I initially found the forum in exactly this way.

A sticky is a good idea if you don't want to change the wording. Even just with bullet points of what it's for. I am a little unsure as to what kind of questions they CAN ask if I am honest. Eta-i have just read the link in this thread which I think explains it....

Its been sorted in this instance but I totally get her point which she hasnt made nastily, she's pointing out that this will keep happening and why she posted, and what the perception of the forum is from the outside and thats not something that is "wrong" because its a common misconception. Its up to us as to whether to change it and prevent it or just keep batting them away.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

Last edited:
I totally see where Janna is comming from with the wording. Maybe a stickied post at the top, something like "Read before posting questions about hair colour" would help.

The thing is many, many people read the wording the same way and post simular questions, the consumers get frustrated and the pros get annoyed... unfortunally some of the pros resposes I have read in the past (not on this thead) make everyone look bad..

The thing is hardly anyone reads the stickies!

There does seem to be a preponderance of questions about DIY colouring of hair, although it still amazes me that people expect professional stylists and colourists to give instructions on using pro products. That said constructive polite advice should still be given, even if it is not what the OP wants to hear. Sadly even polite advice can get a bad reaction :irked:

We will certainly bring this thread to the attention of The Geek and the site Admin to see if a change in the wording will clarify or help in anyway.

Last edited:
This is why I think this forum should be for pro's only, it's easy for people to lie on their info in regards to what they are trained in. Just a thought x

Hey guys,

I am happy to consider additional sticky posts/verbiage but I am struggling to understand the issue here. Especially as this is the first time this has been brought to my attention in like... 9 years of the consumer query forum being open.

This is a forum where non professionals can ask professionals questions or obtain advice. That has been going on for many, many years now. It is not the core of this site, but was created to give a home to the consumer threads that were appearing in the other parts of the site.

Asking a professional doesn't mean you can get an answer. I see it similar to a forum where you can ask an MD a question. They can offer some insight and help, but it will never be a substitute for seeing a Doctor.

The reason that a colour recommendation cannot be given has little to do with an unwillingness to "share the secret". It is because hair colour can be a complex issue. Many a green head of hair is caused from well intentioned, but royally misdiagnosed colour issues. Everything from porosity to tone and more can radically affect your outcome and with all the best will in the world, you won't get an accurate recommendation without a professional actually seeing your hair in person.

Saying that, I don't know what that cannot be communicated in a constructive way to people who are looking for help (regardless of if they can/cannot get to a professional).

Hope this helps.

This is why I think this forum should be for pro's only, it's easy for people to lie on their info in regards to what they are trained in. Just a thought x
While that would be great in a perfect world, there is not a chance it could ever happen.

How do you qualify someone who is a professional? That criteria is different in almost every country of the world and varies in virtually every sector. Some countries do not even have qualifications for some (or all) sectors.

It is also safe to say that you most likely would never have found this site (along with 95% of the other members) had all content been blocked off until you "proved your worth".

Hope this helps :)

I think the points been missed a little, I wouldnt have thought any member disagrees with the fact that pros should absolutely not give out colour advice but you only have to look through the consumer thread to see the countless times that the same questions are asked and adam and I just agreed that the title of the section was misleading. The consumer told us why she thought she could post and we saw her point. And she's obviously not the only one due to the volume of them. I'm not even a hair pro and get sick of seeing them! I'd be the same about lashes.

Sometimes I think people get so pro they forget what it was like to be a clueless client, it doesn't occur to them how complex it is and hair pros are right to point that out, like you say.

Anyway that was my say, head is going back in now!!

While that would be great in a perfect world, there is not a chance it could ever happen.

How do you qualify someone who is a professional? That criteria is different in almost every country of the world and varies in virtually every sector. Some countries do not even have qualifications for some (or all) sectors.

It is also safe to say that you most likely would never have found this site (along with 95% of the other members) had all content been blocked off until you "proved your worth".

Hope this helps :)

I did think that after I posted :) x

Hey guys,

I am happy to consider additional sticky posts/verbiage but I am struggling to understand the issue here. Especially as this is the first time this has been brought to my attention in like... 9 years of the consumer query forum being open.

This is a forum where non professionals can ask professionals questions or obtain advice. That has been going on for many, many years now. It is not the core of this site, but was created to give a home to the consumer threads that were appearing in the other parts of the site.

Asking a professional doesn't mean you can get an answer. I see it similar to a forum where you can ask an MD a question. They can offer some insight and help, but it will never be a substitute for seeing a Doctor.

The reason that a colour recommendation cannot be given has little to do with an unwillingness to "share the secret". It is because hair colour can be a complex issue. Many a green head of hair is caused from well intentioned, but royally misdiagnosed colour issues. Everything from porosity to tone and more can radically affect your outcome and with all the best will in the world, you won't get an accurate recommendation without a professional actually seeing your hair in person.

Saying that, I don't know what that cannot be communicated in a constructive way to people who are looking for help (regardless of if they can/cannot get to a professional).

Hope this helps.
hi , Im glad you are considering to clarify the wording , so that the public know what they can ask ,the volume of same questions should in itself tell you the wording is misleading, the fact that no one has questioned the title of the forum is weird. just want to mention that there are professionals in life who will give free advice in other fields on the phone or by email , for instance my local plumber will advise me on my boiler to get it working again , so he dont have to come out for a small job . I can phone/email a computer expert for advice who lives locally ,he has given advce also free of charge. So when I saw this forum with its title I assumed this was the case also , that this was indeed a helpful advice forum for people like me, it felt good someone here would help. You say the advice isnt given not due to the "secret" yet ive read a few times now that some pros are saying its due to them training long and hard instead, just an observation as obviously you cant change peoples mindsets, maybe they are young and will learn more in time . I am not looking for advice on how to do my hair fully , ive been doing it for quite a few years now , just had that small question to ask about the ends.(which now seems to be sorted :) I understand about the porosity , my own hair dresser of years ago made a mistake and turned my hair orange when colouring it blonde and another one burned some of my hair when giving a perm. I think a sticky would be a good idea , yes you will probably still get a few who will not read it but others will. Or for even better results you can simply change the wording "Not a salon professional (or aspiring one!) but need some professional advice?" if you make this clearer for Joe public to understand what they can ask , then this will stop many of the same unwanted questions . Hope ive been of some help on your site and that peace and harmony can return between pros and non pros. x

Go and see a stylist is our professional advice. I can't swe how you construde this as unhelpful?
Also you could try local students or training evenings

Or for even better results you can simply change the wording "Not a salon professional (or aspiring one!) but need some professional advice?" if you make this clearer for Joe public to understand what they can ask , then this will stop many of the same unwanted questions . Hope ive been of some help on your site and that peace and harmony can return between pros and non pros. x

I think I am now confused. That IS what it says at the top of every page in this forum. There are duplicate questions here not because of confusion surrounding the forum description, but because people don't bother to search before posting. This is typical of any of the forums on this site (or many I go to).

Again; am happy to consider expanding/clarifying verbiage - however keep in mind that in thousands of posts over 9 years, you are the first person to express that there is an issue.

Finally, as has been said - there are some things that a professional just cannot help you with on a forum. Advice on any forum is never a substitute for a review with a qualified professional.

Going to close this thread down now. Feel free to post in "My forum" to discuss further should you have any more questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back