How many of you have a day job that isn't beauty?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I work part time with horses. xx

I work as a risk manager dealing with clinical negligence claims. I enjoy my day job and the hours are quite flexible which enables me have time to dedicate the beauty. The long term goal is to eventually go full time with the beauty, i just have to remain focussed, determined and continue to invest my time and money - i know i will get there. ( :

I'm a full time legal secretary :) so I do mobile nail appointments weekends and some evenings xx

I'm a taxi driver..have been for nearly 9 years. Its a very flexible job..I took 2 days a week off to do my diploma, and now if someone texts me for a treatment/service I can go home, do what needs doing and come back to work again ..simples!

I worked as a secretary for over 18 years! Did my CIBTAC qualifications nearly seven years ago and sat on them for a few years. Got a casual job in a spa in the October and got made redundant from my London secretarial job in the December! So in a way gave me the push to get out there and do this.

Have been at the spa now for three years, left for two months to try somewhere else that didn't work out. If I'm honest at the moment I'm seriously thinking about going back to office work two or three days a week to supplement my income. The Spa is extremely badly paid and as it is casual work especially at the mo is hit or miss and always weekends! I am also building up my own business, as everybody has always said it takes a long while to do it but I can really see that I am really getting a regular client base and it feels really great.

My husband has had cancer this year and hopefully things are okay. We have been waiting nearly three weeks for a PET scan result! Fingers crossed! I just feel I need to know I am getting an exact amount of money a month and at the mo feel quite stressed with everything. Also I feel that I can never fully invest back into my business as never seem to have spare cash and everything I earn from my business goes on day to day stuff!

i work pt time in a care home, again as another poster working in care mentioned flexibility and the option to do additional shifts being the positive side of the job, plus its kind of rewarding and i love the girls i work with .. im too nervous to give up just yet, specially during the current climate ;)

as well as beauty, i also run kids nail art / pamper parties which have paid for most of my additional training, plus several large purchases for the beauty business inc all my shellac

ive also started to make boutique hair accessories for kids, tiaras and jewellery (did this previously) as im starting a millinery course in april and hope this will help to fund my training

i think all my various little 'ventures' will tie in nicely, once they all come together

i hope that with the income from both the beauty and accessories businesses i will eventually be able to give up my pt time job.. but for the moment the care work is a means to an end ;)

Last edited:
wow thanks for sharing everyone :) I feel a lot less alone with it and more inspired now...I was starting to lose the plot a bit and was starting to assume that I'd started my beauty career plan too late in life...like I was starting to think that everyone who was lucky enough to work in a salon full time had started their course and/or apprenticeship at 16 and that I had missed the boat.

I love the diversity of jobs/careers you guys mention here because it makes me feel that I want to celebrate and accept that you can have a "breadwinner" alongside beauty rather than it feeling like a last resort and like I've let myself down on my ambitions.

My ultimate goal is to work in a salon but that's not prooving easy because I've met too many employers who don't play fair (£5ph cash in hand, a days "trade test" on paying clients etc) and then a lot of the more professional employers seem to want someone who is more experienced than straight out of college (fair enough in a way I guess)....so yeah, I'm not dissing the opportunities or potential employers out there but it's got to a point where I think I need to tell it to myself as it is.

So yeah, thanks...I'm definately going to diversify my job search and not feel so bad about it now.

Wishing you all the best in your careers :)

I dont think £5 an hour in hand is bad. If you did an 8 hour shift on min wage you would prob end up with less after tax than that £40 you'd have.

I think I will always keep at least one day at my day job, once self employed if I'm I'll then there's no sick pay. Unless I'm missing a trick re the government? So until I'm earning enough from beauty to put aside money to see me through then I will keep a shift. Plus I'd miss my discount card!! x

I have been qualified and practicing since 2003, always part time. I work in a local Bridal & Occasionwear shop 3 days a week. However, I have been getting busier and busier with my own business and have got to the stage when I don't get a day off at all and work till 9/10 in the evenings and am feeling the strain as I have no quality time with my family. SO last week I handed in my notice and am now going to make my business my full time job. I will still work 5 or 6 days a week and a couple of evenings but I will ensure I have Sundays off and if I can get another day off, which I should be able to do to begin with I am sure I will feel the benefit.

It was a case of being a little scared of breaking away from the security of a wage with holiday pay, sick pay etc, but after much soul searching I decided I had to make the break.

I already feel great about it, I have some great clients and am hoping to build on that so that the business expands further. I can't wait!! :biggrin:

I worked full time in a secretarial job in the city whilst working eves and weekends at beauty, it was a hard slog but worth it as I now only go up to the City 3 days a week and do beauty the other 3 days, hopefully one day I wont have to go at all! Keep up the hard work you can do it!:biggrin:

I dont think £5 an hour in hand is bad. If you did an 8 hour shift on min wage you would prob end up with less after tax than that £40 you'd have.

that's why it's illegal...the stress of breaking the law and potential implications wouldn't be worth it.

I do mobile hairdressing, Nails, Waxing & Spray Tanning. I've been qualified in hair for about 10 years and the rest for about 7 years. I've always done a few clients here and there but the last few months of hating my current job have made me think "do I really want to be doing this anymore??" So I've been asking my friends and family to spread the word and through word of mouth alone, I'm doing approx 6-7 clients a week!
I still work full time in an office doing admin. I start at 8am and finish at 5pm, then do my mobile bits evenings and weekends. I dream of the day when I can finally go full time self employed as I HATE office work!!!
Was thinking of getting a part time job in a supermarket so I have more flexible hours so I can work round my hair and beauty easier plus it's a reliable income to make sure all the bills are paid!! Eventually, when I have enough clients, I can reduce the hours etc....
I too am constantly tired and grumpy and my poor boyfriend cops the brunt of my moods, but I keep telling him it'll all be worth it in the end!! x

I do mobile hairdressing, Nails, Waxing & Spray Tanning. I've been qualified in hair for about 10 years and the rest for about 7 years. I've always done a few clients here and there but the last few months of hating my current job have made me think "do I really want to be doing this anymore??" So I've been asking my friends and family to spread the word and through word of mouth alone, I'm doing approx 6-7 clients a week!
I still work full time in an office doing admin. I start at 8am and finish at 5pm, then do my mobile bits evenings and weekends. I dream of the day when I can finally go full time self employed as I HATE office work!!!
Was thinking of getting a part time job in a supermarket so I have more flexible hours so I can work round my hair and beauty easier plus it's a reliable income to make sure all the bills are paid!! Eventually, when I have enough clients, I can reduce the hours etc....
I too am constantly tired and grumpy and my poor boyfriend cops the brunt of my moods, but I keep telling him it'll all be worth it in the end!! x

Supermarkets are brilliant for flexible work, especially if they open 24 hrs. Get a contract for a few hours per week and grab the overtime, although the best time to do it would be now as they are taking Xmas staff round about now. In the new year there are hardly any jobs as they keep some Xmas temps on. Then they usually start hiring again in April

Thanks for advice! I will definitely be making a few trips to the local supermarkets to enquire about vacancies. I've also been offered a position in a salon to work self employed as a nail tech which is promising! Although I'm a bit concerned with regards to income as it would be full time. I currently don't have enough clients to generate a high enough profit. But I suppose it'll increase in time....Just need to weigh up both the options! x

Well done to all of you , I take my hat off to you all.

THere is no way i could have done my full time job and come home to work in beauty,

Having had no job to go to after my last contract ended it gave me the opportunity to finally do what I had been thinking of doing for years but never found the time or energy for,
And if a part time job came up back in my field I would take it, but never give up my new found love of doing nails .

I work in a travel agent full time. Trying to break out with nails and gradually cut my hours / days down.

Vicki xx

I have been having problems juggling my time since opening our nail and beauty business as I also have to run our other businesses - which I have to say have recently gone downhill - our sales have gone down by around 60%. Its very worrying but the comeback has commenced!

Anyhow yesterday I think I have my time problems sorted. I have a self employed therapist who will man the nail and beauty business and do all the bookings 3 days a week, and I will man it and do the bookings 3 days a week. A lot of what we do are different so will book people in for her therapies on her days and vica versa.

I was trying to go in every day and do my other work there but it just wasnt working. So now I go in for 3 days, just do nails and beauty. Then the other 4 days a week I will be at home and can do all my other work. But if I dont have much of my other work to do will go in anyway.

Hopefully this is going to work well. And we are now virtually breaking even with the nails and beauty so it wont be a drain on the other business in the future.

I work 12 hour days 7 days a week but it is so enjoyable mostly so its cool

xx

I work 10 hours a week cleaning! Absolutely hate it but it's the only job i could get since leaving school 4 years ago!
Plus my employer treats me like she has just stepped in something
The amount of CVs I have given out you could of probably saved a few trees!

All I ever want to do it be in the beauty industry, have my own salon is the dream

I wish I had decided this when I left school as I had no idea what I wanted to do. So now i'm 19, college courses aren't paid for :(
But I guess i'll have to wait that bit extra and save on my £65 a week, *sigh*

It will be worth it in the end, just have to keep applying for jobs.
Would help though if employers wouldn't give me an interview, for me then to turn up and say I had the wrong day when I hadn't :/

I work 10 hours a week cleaning! Absolutely hate it but it's the only job i could get since leaving school 4 years ago!
Plus my employer treats me like she has just stepped in something
The amount of CVs I have given out you could of probably saved a few trees!

All I ever want to do it be in the beauty industry, have my own salon is the dream

I wish I had decided this when I left school as I had no idea what I wanted to do. So now i'm 19, college courses aren't paid for :(
But I guess i'll have to wait that bit extra and save on my £65 a week, *sigh*

It will be worth it in the end, just have to keep applying for jobs.
Would help though if employers wouldn't give me an interview, for me then to turn up and say I had the wrong day when I hadn't :/

Regarding courses not being paid for, have you shopped around? Because the college I went too it was free yet my local college charged (I was 22 at the time)

It depends on the council and the college

Regarding courses not being paid for, have you shopped around? Because the college I went too it was free yet my local college charged (I was 22 at the time)

It depends on the council and the college
Yeah I've researched every single college in my area :(

Latest posts

Back