New contract of employment help!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just don't get it?

In the Consumer Queries Forum, posters get trounced on if they say they want to do their own nails, hair, waxing etc. and they've watched YouTube videos and bought their products from eBay but they're having a few problems and can a professional please advise them. Geeks get rightly huffy about having spent £xxx training and learning how to do things properly and safely (such as knowing about contraindications), and that you can't learn all this from online videos.

BUT, you think it's perfectly sensible to request a template employment contract from an online Hair & Beauty forum so you can amend it yourself to include additional clauses such as recouping training costs if employees leave, restricting mobile working etc...? :eek:

If anyone is truly serious about running a business and employing staff then why cut corners? Use a professional who has experience in the area you need assistance with. Just because you are waving a written document around that your employee has signed doesn't mean it actually has any legal standing.

Like any professional industry, you can shop around for someone who will provide the level of service that you want at a price point to suit you. You don't have to use the local solicitors on the high street but in some cases, they will be your best bet for their local knowledge etc. ACAS and your trade bodies (such as NHF) can provide legal advise on employment matters too so why not use them?

They will also be able to draft working policies, staff handbooks and help you deal with performance and disciplinary issues etc.

Horses for courses as the saying goes... :)

I agree with getting correct contracts etc. Along with joining a recognised industry leader you will get so much more for a nominal fee. NHF are excellent, the contracts list all covenants that are legal and up to date. You will also get staff handbooks and legal advice should you require it as AcidPerm advises.

Be professional and run your business like a professional. NHF offer you so much more. Some of their documents are free to use and all you will pay for is postage.

Hi I have just recently opened my own salon and would be very grateful if anyone could please e-mail me a copy of employment contract template to look over. Thank you [email protected]

Surely for those salons that have spent time and money on gaining the correct employment contracts and handbooks for their staff so they are protected as well as themselves are not going to pass this information on free of charge to others. This forum as good as it is for product advice and different opinions baffles me as to why we give away all our information and knowledge to our competition, which is what we all are to each other....do i sound miserable or am I just missing the point here!

Has anyone received help on this as I would appreciate a copy of a contract with correct clauses to help finish mine.

Thanks.

Carina x x

Surely for those salons that have spent time and money on gaining the correct employment contracts and handbooks for their staff so they are protected as well as themselves are not going to pass this information on free of charge to others. This forum as good as it is for product advice and different opinions baffles me as to why we give away all our information and knowledge to our competition, which is what we all are to each other....do i sound miserable or am I just missing the point here!

Took the words right out of my mouth Virtues - official legal employment contracts via a solicitor are not cheap with time and money doing them, so why would anyone just hand one over for free?? :/ and if I'm correct in saying if it isn't drawn up by a legal rep it's not worth the paper it's printed on and if it hits the fan at any point neither will have a leg to stand on

Took the words right out of my mouth Virtues - official legal employment contracts via a solicitor are not cheap with time and money doing them, so why would anyone just hand one over for free?? :/ and if I'm correct in saying if it isn't drawn up by a legal rep it's not worth the paper it's printed on and if it hits the fan at any point neither will have a leg to stand on

Hi KHS... you don't legally need a contract of employment to be drawn up by a legal rep, as long as you understand what the legal requirements are and your obligations as an employer. There is a lot of reading involved! ACAS will also have information that will help in this. My handbooks are twenty pages long. .but as I've done this for so many years it's like an everyday shopping list. Ha ha. If people really don't have a clue what to do Yes I would suggest a legal Rep. There is a lot to know.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using SalonGeek mobile app

Haha I bet they love you when you hand that to them - better be safe than sorry eh :)

To be honest from the staff's point of view I believe I am recognised for maintaining professionalism and running above board businesses. These handbooks support and protect my staff and myself, Is twenty pages necessary. ..absolutely not, but everything you can think of is covered in them. So the words "I didn't know" "I wasn't told that" is purely nonsense as they all sign to say they have read and understood the handbook. ..

And would I give them away free of charge. .. absolutely not! Ha ha :)

Hi, I would be most grateful if someone could email me a copy of a contract template to help finish mine! [email protected]

Thanks Girls :)

Any advice on the best contracts to use? Im going down the employment route and would love to hear of which are the best and easiest to use xx

Hey,

Could somebody pm me an employment contract template also. Would be greatly appreciated! :)

Kind Regards,

Matt

Hi ther was wondering if someone could kindly forward me a templete of a buisness contract, iam only a small buisness and taking on my first employee thanks.

I'm more interested to know if anyone ever sends their contracts over for others to use?

I don't as mine are from NHF and I'm a member so pay for them. Plus they are too big a document to email out and I would have to scan them.

It's not just about the contract either, they do handbooks and offer you legal advice should things go wrong. You are paying for a service that helps you every step of the way if you run into trouble. We all think we know and keep up to date with legal issues. Employees can be very knowledgeable when it comes to employment, so keep yourself protected and up to date. It is worth it.

Debbie

Last edited:
I would be very grateful if someone would take the time to email me a copy of an employees contract, I appreciate they can sometimes be costly but if someone is happy to share this then the world is a better place for it!! thanks xx [email protected] ;)

I will message you a copy of contract template.
Lynn

can you send me a copy please.. taking on my first employee.. scary business haha

Habia have a template contract you can purchase from their shop and download. Does anyone know if these are any good?

Personally I get everything written into emails which I exchange with my potential employee and get their acknowledgement then they form part of the contract even though they are not written in legalese. It's much better to ensure that anything that you might need to enforce has actually been understood and accepted by your employee, that way you have a better chance to avoid problems later on.

I have a statement of main terms of employment which just covers the statutory minimum that has to be confirmed and an employee handbook for the other stuff.

Habia have a template contract you can purchase from their shop and download. Does anyone know if these are any good?

Personally I get everything written into emails which I exchange with my potential employee and get their acknowledgement then they form part of the contract even though they are not written in legalese. It's much better to ensure that anything that you might need to enforce has actually been understood and accepted by your employee, that way you have a better chance to avoid problems later on.

I have a statement of main terms of employment which just covers the statutory minimum that has to be confirmed and an employee handbook for the other stuff.

Where did you get your employee handbook from or is it one which you have put together yourself? Thanks

Please could you message me a copy as I am now also about to set someone on!!

Latest posts

Back