Non-paying client

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shellie xx

Reaction score
Hi! Just want your advice on my problem ~ I have a client that I had done a few times, came to me on 26th June for a manicure, pedicure, express facial, eye treatment and underarm wax. AFTER I had done all of her treatments, she told me she didn't have any money on her so could she send me a cheque. She was booked in for 2 weeks from there so I thought it would be fine. Well she didn't send the cheque so I gave her a call and left a message on her mobile letting her know that I haven't received her cheque. Her next appointment came and she didn't turn up so I gave her another call. She was full of apologies, saying she had got held up at the solitictors but she felt so awful that she insisted on paying the full amount for the treatments that she had missed plus her treatments from June. Well, she rebooked another appointment for 2 weeks later which she cancelled AGAIN. Again, she apologised profusely.

By this time, I was well and trully p'd off so decided to create an invoice and send it to her. On the invoice I stated that it must be paid by 22nd August. Well thats today and she STILL hasn't paid it!!!

What shall I do now? She owes me £141! agh its driving me mad!! xx

OMG, how awful, I know Vetty has had a problem with a client and she has written a letter to her about recieving the payment, maybe if you pm her she could give you some advice hun.
I hope you sort it out its disgusting, like we just have time and money to throw away like that. Some people!!! xxx :hug:

I would call to her house. Let her know that she is leaving you with no alternative than to issue proceedings against her in the small claims court. This is a very basic and straight forward issue of contract law which you are very likely to win, this would mean that she would have to pay you the amount owed plus the court fees.

To be honest I dont think you would need to go that far provided you made her aware that you are fully prepared to start a court claim, this in itself would probably make her pay. You may lose her as a client, but to be honest she doesnt sound like a client you need!

Do you know her address?
Go round and ask for the money if you do.
Tell her a cheque is fine...everyone has a cheque book??
What does she think it is?? A free for all?
Get the money and in future mate check they are ok with the price before you start treatments x
Hope it works for you.

Thank you for your replies ~ I just can't believe some people! You wouldnt so to a supermarket, get your shopping and say 'i'll pay it in 2 months' would you? My other problem is that I'm wondering if she has given me a funny address because it's called 'The Teapot'. God, some people really really annoy me! xx

If you have a post code you can look it up on the web hun..x

Thank you for your replies ~ I just can't believe some people! You wouldnt so to a supermarket, get your shopping and say 'i'll pay it in 2 months' would you? My other problem is that I'm wondering if she has given me a funny address because it's called 'The Teapot'. God, some people really really annoy me! xx

Hmmm sounds dodgy tbh but if you know her real name you can find her but its not easy.
People take advantage sometimes hun and you may have learned the hard way.:hug:
You have to remember that it's a business and you don't take any cr*p.
I've never had this problem...people see me and know what they are dealing with.
I'm not a bad person but I don't take Cr*p.
There are courses you can do to help you be in control...dunno if that helps now hun but maybe in the future?? xx

Actually you're right, I do have her post code. Thing is, if I go round there, what do I say? Do you not think that is a bit intimidating? Or am I being a coward? I think you're right, I need to go on an assertiveness course. In most cases I'm ok but I can be a bit too soft sometimes and I need to start being more assertive when it comes to my business xx

Actually you're right, I do have her post code. Thing is, if I go round there, what do I say? Do you not think that is a bit intimidating? Or am I being a coward? I think you're right, I need to go on an assertiveness course. In most cases I'm ok but I can be a bit too soft sometimes and I need to start being more assertive when it comes to my business xx

Love....just knock on the door and say "Hi (blah) you forgot to give me my money and my accountant is going on at me...(roll eyes) a cheque would be fine but cash works better because I can give it straight to them before they start any proceedings...ya know?"
These accountants just don't let it go and I don't want you to get in any trouble.......
:)

Thats a good idea actually ~ that way we can leave it on better terms although I don't want her as a client anymore ~ she's costing me loads!!!

Thats a good idea actually ~ that way we can leave it on better terms although I don't want her as a client anymore ~ she's costing me loads!!!

Hun the next time she rings you are TOTALLY booked up but can recommend another tech....just look in the phone book at salons in the area x

Yes definately! I am really annoyed with her ~ who does she think I am eh?

I once had a client like this, although she did'nt owe me as much as this!

My eventual remedy was to turn up at her place of work, (a huge beauty department), and ask her in full earshot of her colleagues for the outstanding money she owed for previous treatments!

It worked, and I'm very happy to say it was the last I saw of her. I believe she does the rounds in my area with tricks like this.

What she has done is theft pure and simple! I had a similar situation and why do we feel bad for asking for the money - because we're therapists and not debt collectors!

I don't think I'd have the bottle to go around there. I'd send a text and say that you need the money she owes, that you don't want it to get out of hand but considering the large sum involved and that she had the treatments knowing full well she couldn't pay that if she doesn't pay within 3 days that you will have no alternative but to start small claims proceedings.

Poor you, it's really not a pleasant situation to be in! :hug:

What she has done is theft pure and simple! I had a similar situation and why do we feel bad for asking for the money - because we're therapists and not debt collectors!

I don't think I'd have the bottle to go around there. I'd send a text and say that you need the money she owes, that you don't want it to get out of hand but considering the large sum involved and that she had the treatments knowing full well she couldn't pay that if she doesn't pay within 3 days that you will have no alternative but to start small claims proceedings.

Poor you, it's really not a pleasant situation to be in! :hug:

She'd be ok if I went with her:lol:

She'd be ok if I went with her:lol:

Judy if the client knew you'd be there she'd pay up now!!!!!!!!!!!! no one messes with our Judy!

pmsl...but yes it is true!!
I've not spent Blah years here to be messed about!!
I think I'll just give the lot up and be a bouncer pmsl

Will you come with me Judy, pleeeeeeeease! I'm scared already!!!!! xx

Basically what shes done is theft. If she went to a restaurant and had a slap up meal and then walked out the police would be involved and she would be charged with theft. I worked in a restaurant in manchester and its amazing how many people walked out without paying from all walks of life. We sent CCTV to the police and more often than not they caught them off this alone, and they were forced to pay for the restaurant to drop the charges.

Send her a letter by recorded delivery and say she owes you xxx and because it is now two months in arrears she needs to pay within 7 working days. State 'the salon' does not offer credit facilities at this time. Also add, I believe you were happy with the treatments that you had (list them as invoice again with prices etc) here as you re booked but unfortunetly could not attend. I was dissapointed that this and subsequent appointments have been cancelled and these also are subject to a cancellation charge (if she left it last minute) of 50% of the total of the treatments booked. However as a show of good faith I am happy to waive these charges. Failure to return payment to me within 7 days I will have no other option but to take this matter further.

Then in the second letter after the 7 days, state that you are sorry to hear she has ignored previous requests for the money and you will be contacting the police in 5 working days time to report theft. You will also start procedings to recover the monies lost that will unfortunetly include lost trade at £50 per hour plus your time to attend court.

I know a friend who did this (hair salons) and by the time the second letter went out a cheque arrived for £110 which she was owed. The cheque was valid and she got her money. She now takes credit card/cash payments prior to treatments.

Hope you get your money back soon

kate

My bf uses a great debt collection agency in Liverpool. They charge about £2.50 for the initial 'pay or we take you to court' letter. Everytime he's been paid very quickly.

Latest posts

Back