Shellac - how do you say it?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

How do you pronounce Shellac?

• Sh-lack

Votes: 90 25.9%
  • Shell-ack

Votes: 258 74.1%

• Total voters

fozzyo

Reaction score
So I had the incident of upsetting CACI by calling it Cak-ee rather then Kay-See, but what about Shellac?

I have always pronounced it Shell-ack, but I watched the CND video's yesterday and they refer to it using the name Sh-lack. Now this may be down to their accent I'm not sure.

So how do you pronounce it?

I've always pronounced it Sh'lac, like in the CND videos as that was how Wee Fee pronounced it at the Shellac Attack class I did back in May. All my clients say it Shell-ac. I correct them but lately I've found myself saying Shell-ac too.

Sent from my iPhone using SalonGeek

I pronounce mine Shell-lack. xx

Now you got my tonge in a twist trying to pronounce it! lol

Just realised i dont do shell-lack. Its shell-ack, your second one so now can vote lol

Sh-lack for me... I kinda have a little giggle when my clients put the emphasis on the shell bit :)

None of the above.

I pronounce it "She-Lack" (but the e is not stressed, more like shhhhhh if you know what I mean?) or "Sha-Lack"
Not sure how to express what I'm saying :irked:

I don't stress the E because there are two consonnants between the E and the A.

Hmmm maybe this tells us how to say it right?
If you go to the link and press on the funny symbol for volume, you'll hear a guy say it. He says it like I do.

shellack - definition of shellack by the Free Online Dictionary, Thesaurus and Encyclopedia.

shel·lac also shel·lack (sh
schwa.gif
-l
abreve.gif
k
prime.gif
)
n. 1. A purified lac in the form of thin yellow or orange flakes, often bleached white and widely used in varnishes, paints, inks, sealants, and formerly in phonograph records.
2. A thin varnish made by dissolving this substance in denatured alcohol, used to finish wood.
3. An old phonograph record containing this substance, typically played at 78 rpm.

tr.v.

I go for the sh'lack option.

Mind, having said that CACI to me reads as cassie so maybe i'm not the one to ask :eek:

i think its just peoples accent's i find when you watch videos of american (fingernail fixer, CND vids) they pronounce it Sh-lack. i think thats just they way it comes out from them! lol

but i call it shell-ac but that just how it comes out when I read it! i feel im putting on a funny voice if i say it the other way!
theres not much difference i just personally think it accents! x

I too say it the way the man does on the link above, but I dont pronounce the "e" so I guess I am more sh-lack :)

Actually, I remember watching a video on youtube where Lisa Eldridge has her nails Shellaced & she says "shell-lack" & asks if she is saying it correctly, then the man says no its "sh-lack" x

None of the above.

I pronounce it "She-Lack" (but the e is not stressed, more like shhhhhh if you know what I mean?) or "Sha-Lack"
Not sure how to express what I'm saying :irked:

I don't stress the E because there are two consonnants between the E and the A.
Me too, I was thinking of how I'd spell it to show you how I pronounce it though, well done :D

I never say it :green: (joke)

I say it the 'Shell-ack' way. I know its supposed to be 'Sh-lack' and i tried to say it like that but somehow i just sounded abit silly. I think it sounds good in an American accent but not British. Is it really bad if were not pronouncing it right? Maybe i should try again! :D

I started off saying shell-ack then realised it's supposed to be Sh-lack. I agree it sounds odd in a british/engish accent, but I'm getting used to it (still think it sounds better the other way though :green:)

I say it as I see it so it's the second one for me. I agree, the first sounds great coming from an American but I just sound like I'm trying to put the accent on when I said Sh-lack :hug:

Latest posts

Back