Stubborn coarse gray roots!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sometimes simply putting slightly extra (5 to 10 mls) of color than the formula calls for technically can help. It increases the density of color molecule for extra absorption on resistant hair. I would say that if the white hair is not covering fully,it is most likely either not enough neutral tone in the formula, or not enough processing time.

On the really stubborn white hair on top , try using 6% liquid on its own , dry it into the hair. This will open the cuticle , you can then either use 30mls of 66/0 with 2 cms of 0/45 and 2 cms of 0/65 and 2 cms of 0/33 with 6% on very white hair . On the rest of roots 2 parts 6/73 and 1 part 6/0 with 6% and use CT on the ends , or wait til last 5/10 mins and spray hair with water and use the remaining colour from bowl to emulsify on midlengths and ends . HTH :) xx
I just read this

“That’s an old method that doesn’t work. Put your color on first (alone) then mix as usual and apply all over gray.” – @haarhausla

“Pre-softening does absolutely nothing with developers. The power is in the tube, if you want to ‘pre-soften + double pigment’ just apply the color straight from the tube and then apply your formula with developer. The power is in the tube!” – @hairbyanalicia_

“Don’t use developer to pre-soften. Instead, use unmixed color straight from the tube. Then, apply your color formula directly over top. Peroxide will lift the cuticle but ammonia or its substitutes will drive the color inward. Think about it this way. Is the cuticle not opening? Or is the color not getting right in there? Pre-soften with color and not only will you drive the pigment in deeper, your formula will have more pigment molecules in general. Lest we forget developer can dilute.” – Bren Turner

“This is a super old wives’ tale! Peroxide is acidic in pH and we know that we need alkalinity to raise the cuticle of the hair. Since peroxide has no alkalinity, it is actually recommended to use straight color out of tube on the most resistant areas and then use a color formula normally directly over the top of it.” – @jrodav

“Peroxide doesn’t pre-soften because it’s acidic and closes the cuticle. The color itself is alkaline and is what you need to pre-soften.” – Anggi Kunkle Foster

“I apply unmixed color onto stubborn areas, it always lasts longer and covers seamlessly. The only time in hair school that I applied peroxide to pre-soften it created hot roots, no thanks.” – Julee Heslop

Latest posts

Back