Worst treatments you have had as a client?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I went for a trim a few weeks after having my oldest, id been growing my hair from a cropped style & wanted a trim. She cut my hair dry & was just hacking into it I was exhausted so didn't really notice what a bad job shed done until I washed & straightened it & I found a huge chunk where there was no hair!!!
The same girl then trimmed my daughters hair & again hacked it so a chin length bob that needed a tidy up ended up an uneven mess that was halfway up her ears!!! Don't go to that salon zoe!!!

Sent from my GT-N7000 using SalonGeek

My friend recommended her waxing therapist to me when i was going on hols a few years back. I'd never had a bikini wax before and was very nervous but the therapist seemed very friendly and put me at ease straight away. She then proceeded to slap red hot wax on my bikini line and strip it off leaving me in agony but i didnt know if this was normal or not so i gritted my teeth and let her finish. Well when i looked down to inspect my poor nether regions i realised i was all red and bleeding!! She then asked if i wanted her to go any further?? After recoiling in horror, i paid and got out of there as fast as my burnt bits would allow and have never been waxed since. Sunbathing with scabby bits peeking out of either side of my bikini bottoms wasnt a good look i can tell you :(

Two treatments spring to mind at once:-

a) a manicure I had at a hairdressers while my hair was being done and she layered the polish on quite thickly, smudged it with her own finger and didn't put it right and because it was so thick, of course it wasn't dry when it was time to put my coat on and pay and NOBODY helped me (this was before I started doing nails - I wouldn't pay someone to do mine now lol)

b) a blow dry where I ended up with neck ache for 2 days afterwards where she had been pulling down and curling under my shoulder length bob SO HARD that I had to use all the muscles in my neck and shoulders just to stay upright.... didn't feel I could say anything, she was fearsome :eek: (but didn't go back)

My worst was going for a deep tissue massage. The therapist went in for the kill on my poor shoulders from the start. No warming the muscles, no soothing after deep work, I asked her to ease the pressure a little, which she did for a few strokes, and then she went for it again. It was like being massage by Mike Tyson!!

I went to a salon above a "dental spa" in a town close to my home a few months ago. I went for an LED Facial, to see how other companies do it (As I teach this and wanted to do a bit of reserach into other companies machines!). I wasn't expecting a very hands on treatment...but what I got was a very hands OFF treatment!!!

The therapist who saw me was in sweatpants and an airtex t-shirt...but they also did vibroplates etc, so I let it slide..! She took me into a massive room that had a couch at one end, with the LED machine next to it. The couch was bare, no couch cover, no blankets, no towels, and nothing to cover me with either. It was the middle of summer but that's not the point!!!

No consultation at all, just a sales pitch to try to get me to upgrade to a better mask than the one that was included..which I declined!

I lay down, she stood next to the couch, facing me, and she proceded to "tickle" my face with a baby wipe..!! No nice cleanser, no warm mitts or sponges, and absolutely no human contact at all. I had worn a bit of makeup that day and it didn't remove even half of it...a very half hearted attempt!

I got a serum with my facial, which she pumped out of the bottle directly onto my face..! A line on my forehead, down my nose, line on each cheek and a squidge on my chin. Then, with a tissue, she sort of smeared the squidges of serum all over my face. Not a nice feeling, it was almost as if she didn't want to touch me at all!

She put goggles on, put the LED canopy over my face, and left me there for 30 minutes. On my own. No music. No blanket. No nice realxing massage. My God was I bored!!!!! Thought I'd have a look around the room but the goggles stopped me seeing much. After 30 minutes it beeped loudly....and after a minute she came back in, removed LED canopy and goggles, and smeared a thick night cream on my face, even though it was about 11am on a sunny day (Similar method to serum squidges, but with a spatula dipped into the jar, on my face, and back into the jar...nice!). Told me to rub the cream in myself.

I left, and will NEVER go back. How awful!!!!!

Sorry, I actually laughed as I was reading this especially the bit about you wanting to look round the room but couldn't because of the goggles (I didn't mean to but you write in a very entertaining way lol) . . . . what a DREADFUL experience, I hope she's gone out of business.

Doesn't it just highlight how wonderful a nice treatment is when everything is perfect x

I went for a brazillian hot wax and I think the therapist got the cream wax and hot wax mixed up and had the hot wax far too hot and runny.....so Im laying in a filthy room with a dirty towel over a dirty pillow.....freezing cold room with pure white wash walls......felt like I was going for surgery!! so she starts putting the wax on in really really small sections and it was so hot it was buring my skin....so I said the wax was too hot so she then started blowing the wax on the spatula before applying it!!!! It was so painful and when I mentioned that it was still too hot, she grabbed a towel and started fanning me!!! Then didnt stretch the skin enough and to make it worse didnt actually remove all of the hair!!
I also got her to do my underarms with the hot wax and thankfully it had cooled down by that time cos I insisted she turned the wax down and she done one arm fine but when it came to doing the other, when she walked around to the other side of the couch she passed the spatula directly over my head.....she wasnt turning the spatula to keep the wax on it and I ended up with a line of hot wax straight over my face....luckly it missed my eyes by literally milimetres!! I was not a happy bunny!!!

Mine was when i was 14 i went to the hairdressers i asked for a long bob as i sat there i could feel my self filling with dread as she seemed to be cutting more off than i asked anyway as i was 14 had no idea so thought ill trust her... Well the finished result was like a mushroom head all one length and my hair was very thick all just above chin length it was awful i ended up having to have it cut in to that really short cropped hair like victoria beckham had years ago it was the only way of making look half decent x

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek

when i was around 15/16 i decided to have all my hair cut to a really short messy crop with a longer fringe (victoria beckham late 90s style) and before i knew what was happening the stylist had taken the razor to the back of my head, blow dried it like a 60 year old from 1953 and finished it with a liberal dose of hairspray. I paid, left, washed and dried it myself and never went back. I also spent years growing it out again :( xxx

Mine was when i was 14 i went to the hairdressers i asked for a long bob as i sat there i could feel my self filling with dread as she seemed to be cutting more off than i asked anyway as i was 14 had no idea so thought ill trust her... Well the finished result was like a mushroom head all one length and my hair was very thick all just above chin length it was awful i ended up having to have it cut in to that really short cropped hair like victoria beckham had years ago it was the only way of making look half decent x

I had this exact same thing happen to me! Had a pixie cut for about five years before straighteners came out & my hair could be controlled while it grew out!

Worst salon experience is when halfway through a Hollywood wax I reminded the therapist I'd booked in for a brazillian :eek: to which she said well its done now so....

Yes? So?? Is that an apology I can't hear?

Since training with CND myself I now know it wasn't the CND experience I got when I paid, dutifully, for enhancements rebalancing every two weeks for a year. I remember getting a right rollicking from my therapist because I'd deigned to polish my enhancements red to cover the lifting & of course it seeped under & made it more difficult for HER to rebalance. I even apologised while she sighed & rolled her eyes at me. I remember now she left to go 'teach nails' god help us. What a mug I was paying to go there!! Full price too :)

Brow wax for me from a salon owner in the business for years, she applied wax to the second brow and walked off to answer the phone and left the wax on me! When she finally removed it, she had left a burn mark! I had a Xmas party night the following evening and was very embarassed!

Also had a bad tan once that once i washed it off was all freckly. Not a good look!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had this exact same thing happen to me! Had a pixie cut for about five years before straighteners came out & my hair could be controlled while it grew out!

Worst salon experience is when halfway through a Hollywood wax I reminded the therapist I'd booked in for a brazillian :eek: to which she said well its done now so....

Yes? So?? Is that an apology I can't hear?

Since training with CND myself I now know it wasn't the CND experience I got when I paid, dutifully, for enhancements rebalancing every two weeks for a year. I remember getting a right rollicking from my therapist because I'd deigned to polish my enhancements red to cover the lifting & of course it seeped under & made it more difficult for HER to rebalance. I even apologised while she sighed & rolled her eyes at me. I remember now she left to go 'teach nails' god help us. What a mug I was paying to go there!! Full price too :)

I must be lucky mine only took a year to grow out x

I have an eye-brow one, i had been going to the same salon for ages, same girl did my eye-brows and she always did them just the way i liked, one day i went and was surprised to find there were people lined up all the way out the door, some were lucky enough to have a seat, anyway i walked through the door to ask when i could have an appointment, and the girl who i get came out the cubicle and grabbed my arm saying she's one of my clients and near pulled me off my feet, lol.
So i got on the couch and she rushed through everything so fast and she was clearly very harrased, so i quickly got my coat etc as i didnt want to keep her back, i didn't have to look in the mirror because they are always good, so i paid and tipped and left, when i got to the car my mum was staring quizically at me and saying erm, uh, hmm, er, so i flipped down the mirror and i couldnt beleive it, there was a very fine line, just one row of fine hair and well, bald basically, omg. i knew it wasn't her fault, she was so rushed, they had run a groupon promotion and had too much to deal with, i never could go back as they took so long to grow back and i couldnt go back when they were half grown to have them tidied up just incase she tidied up that shape and thought i liked it or something, this was long time ago, ive done my own eye-brows ever since, lol

Loving this thread. The hundreds of pounds of compensation that must be owed from these stories lol but no we're too polite to speak up! Xx

Years ago I went to get my eyebrows waxed. Half way through the girls went "uh oh!"
O asked her what was wrong and she said nothing, and next thing I knew she was furiously filling in my eyebrow with a pencil. I jumped up and said - do you think I wouldn't have noticed!!! I took the pencil and left, didn't pay or anything.

It was a chunk out the middle of one of my eyebrows....luckily it grew in quite quickly!

This is such a great thread! How 'competition' turns into a horrendous experience. I haven't had many treatments but I went to a Spa earlier this year and booked in for a facial. Was lovely until she started putting products on me, she'd clearly had Wotsits on her break and hadn't washed her hands! Real shame cos it was really nice products with a thermal mask but throughout the massage I caught a Wotsit Waft... boo!! xx

I went to a Salon for a Shellac Manicure and was pleased to be offered a coffee. Then the Therapist came back with a coffee for herself and a packet of sandwiches, which she proceeded to eat whilst doing my nails! God, I'm starving, she said!!!! So I had a Tutti Fruitti Manicure with speckled cheese and pickle effect!

In a way, my worst did me a great favour.

I had been going to the same hairdresser for about 15 years. Lovely bloke, own salon, was happy with my hair most of the time.

Over the last couple of years with him he started taking me for granted.

At the time I had a full-time job which carried a lot of responsibility. Every 5 weeks or so I would arrange to finish at 4pm so I could get the last appointment at the salon. I had a tight schedule as I also had dance classes later in the evening. I would find myself waiting, sometimes with my hair dripping wet, while he attended to others......ladies of leisure most of the time! Rarely any apologies, although he was aware of my circumstances.

However it came to a head when my daughter got married. I had told him, many times, when the wedding was, and when we were about 4/5 months away from it I thought I'd book in THE appointment, to be sure of the time. He looked at me and said" Oh, we're closing that Saturday. We've decided to take Easter Saturday off."

I went twice more for appointments and asked if one of his juniors could come and do my hair, at any cost! Blank wall.

Went into SpaceNK and asked if they could recommend a salon. They did. Fabulous, award-winning guy, who even said that if I wanted he would open up the shop early on that day. I have stayed with him!!

I think thats a common problem, when you are a "regular", loyal customer for a couple of years you do get a bit taken for granted - when in fact you should be treated quite the opposite! I had a nail lady for about 4 years with regular enhancements and gelish (she got me addicted to gelish so its not all a bad thing) but toward the end she would be late if I was her first appointment of a morning, knowing I wouldnt complain - she'd then faff about getting coffee, setting up, playing with her phone while doing my nails, taking personal calls mid file etc. It came to a head when one day I turned up to an appointment (regular as clockwork as I only have Tuesdays off and each time I left put the next 3 week appointment into my iphone calender) and she had double booked me. I knew she was a bit kooky and scatty, which was part of her charm, but the way she handled it was so rude! She tried insinuating that I had got it wrong - I showed her my phone and she just tutted and made out I was lying! When I caught her rolling her eyes at the other ladies in the salon - and the lady she had double booked me with - I knew enough was enough and just walked out. Never to return again, and am now very happy paying my hard earned money to another excellent lady in my town. If she had just said "oh god I'm sorry, lets book you in again" I would have gladly done so but she made me feel an idiot - not very good customer service. xxx

I went to a Salon for a Shellac Manicure and was pleased to be offered a coffee. Then the Therapist came back with a coffee for herself and a packet of sandwiches, which she proceeded to eat whilst doing my nails! God, I'm starving, she said!!!! So I had a Tutti Fruitti Manicure with speckled cheese and pickle effect!

thats awful!:eek:

I think my worst experience was at the hairdressers when I was 8. One of our neighbours had gone back to college to do hair and opened her own shop. My dad had done all of her electrical work so she had decided she would do my hair for free. The first few times it had been great, she gave me a magazine to choose the hair I liked best . Every time I picked the same picture and it always turned out really nice.
It was the stry of the summer holidays and my dad had taken me along again to et my hair cut. I picked the same picture as always and my dad went for a walk to the shops as he knew I was being left in good hands. I got my hair washed and she started cutting, everything was fine until she looked at the picture and noticed that the model had blonde highlights. I was then told that she just wanted to try something. Being 8 I didn't think much of it so kept quiet. When my dad came back he found that his brunette 8 year old daughter now had peroxide blonde streaks in her hair. I got back in the car and started crying and refused to get out when we got home. My mum went mental when she saw what had happened. I never went back there to have my hair done and in the end her business didn't last very long. Thank goodness it happened at the start of the summer holidays because their was no way I'd have been going to school with hair like a bumblebee.

Latest posts

Back