Worst treatments you have had as a client?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As a finishing touch to my memorable back massage, she took a spherical crystal from the window ledge and rolled it all over my back. A few things wrong with this;

She hadn't asked me if I would be ok with the use of crystals during my treatment... I was taught that you must ask the client as not everyone is into crystal work.

It hurt where she was rolling/cluncking it over my hips and scapula...was probably the most pressure she'd used in the whole session.

It was December and with the crystal having been sat on the window ledge it was FREEZING COLD! I did tell her it was cold but she carried on.

When she left the room I couldn't wait to get my clothes back on and get de-moggied and warm! Needless to say I never went back!

OMG...was it marketed as a moggy massage...I cant believe you didnt say anything at this point, lol xx

the most recent bad experience was about 2 years ago. I went into a salon to have my hair styled for a wedding I was attending later in the afternoon. I went in asking for my hair left down with soft curls through out. I was told that soft curls don't hold well...which was fine with me, since after the ceremony and pictures, I was planning on pulling it up anyway for the reception. So I sit down and the stylist starts to curl my hair. About halfway through the curling I glance in the mirror. I had half a head of tight (and I mean tight) spiral curls. When I ask what was going on he said that he's doing it this way to make sure the curls don't fall. Ok, fine, I think he'll loosen them when finishing off the style. Um, nope...I looked like a deranged poodle. I said this isn't what I had asked for, so he decides to put my hair up into an updo. I'm thinking, ok lets just get this looking somewhat decent and get going. So I go to pay, which I think I should only be paying for a style...but am charged for a full updo! I asked about this and he says that I have to pay for all the time he put into it! WHAT??? never been back and neither has my husband or daughter. Horrible!

YES oh my god yes, my poor hair :(

I wanted to go from a dark brown colour to a dark-ish ashy blonde base colour with highlights. My hair was bleached but the stylist didn't do a strand test prior & half of my hair was left an awful khaki green colour from the metallic salts in henna dye I'd used previously & the rest, a disgusting brassy blonde. It was bleached again, & then it went through another bleach bath, of course this wasn't going to work, bleach drives henna further into the shaft, & then the blonde base colour was applied, which didn't even make a difference, it was far too light for what I had asked. £90 down, I left with wrecked, half green hair. This was 2 years ago, I'm still growing it out & about 6-7'' of it still feels like straw :(

One of the worst I had was a facial.

I had booked in. I don't get to have many treatments myself as money is tight and so it's always a real luxury for me, there was a salon near work so i thought I'd give them an go. I was Just told to lay on the couch, no consultation. Then the therapist started cleansing and the stench of her fag ash hands so close to my nostrils was unbearable but then added with the garlic that had permeated her fingers and the chewing of her gum. I felt really physically sick. I couldn't relax for the treatment - (but of course didnt say anything).

I actually bought some of the products recently for myself and oh my goodness. The smell just makes me feel sick. I think I am forever going to associate them with smoke and garlic fingers.

Some of these experiences are quite simply horrendous! Cant actually believe what i am reading at some of them!
Ive recently changed hairdressers, id been going somewhere for about 10yrs and same as a few others i feel as though id started to be taken for granted. She cut my hair way too short by about 3inches! But what was worse was that it was totally wonky! I just felt as though she couldnt be bothered. So ive not been back since.
Good job there are some good hairdressers and therapists out there who we can trust!

I have a couple!

One was some hideous trendy (£££) salon which I thought I'd try after a particularly traumatic breakup! I wanted to treat myself to some nice ashy and bleach blonde highlights (1/2 head).

But OOOOOOOOH no, the stylist insisted I had some golden blondes (my pet hate is my hair looking brassy and I don't like gold highlights). Whilst I'm generally happy to take a suggestion, I really HATE golden look on me. But I said, I really don't like it. It's ok, it'll look fabulous, he assured me. Obviously he did what he wanted anyway, and proceeded to highlight.

Then rather quickly after the last one was in, they moved me over to the backwash and I led back as instructed. And then was left - led backwards for 40 minutes. I was thinking surely they'll come over in a minute and see that I'm actually led there. But no. So I sat up and got glared at for moving. My back and neck were killing me when they did eventually wash them out.

To make matters worse, when he took it out, it looked way too warm and was in great big stripes!!! Bearing in mind I'd just had a big old break up and feeling really fragile and I thought DON'T cry! They then charged me £110 for a full head (which I paid as I was so upset and just wanted to get out of there) and went to a nice normal hairdresser a week later and got what I actually wanted for a fraction of the price.

The second was a back massage I had just last week. I decided to revisit an old place I'd used for a long time a good few years ago. BOY had things changed.

Grubby, dingy treatment rooms, she hoiked me in, no introduction, no consultation, was told to get stripped off on the coach - I could see the coach and the floor were filthy through the headhole. Then I thought oh perhaps she'll do consultation whilst I'm led down. Nope she popped out. I heard a microwave ping, and in she comes, yanks my trousers and pants right down (no warning given) sticks a towel in the top of them with my builders bum on display. Then I get a shock with some hot oil being poured on my back (direct from microwave) and she started. To be fair her massage was good, but the rest of it. Poor!!

In the meantime they're doing some DIY in the room next door and I had 30 minutes of paint fumes, and electric drills!! LOL!

Then the cheeky mare charged me for a 40 minute massage instead of a standard one. I know full well I wasn't on the coach for that long!

YES oh my god yes, my poor hair :(

I wanted to go from a dark brown colour to a dark-ish ashy blonde base colour with highlights. My hair was bleached but the stylist didn't do a strand test prior & half of my hair was left an awful khaki green colour from the metallic salts in henna dye I'd used previously & the rest, a disgusting brassy blonde. It was bleached again, & then it went through another bleach bath, of course this wasn't going to work, bleach drives henna further into the shaft, & then the blonde base colour was applied, which didn't even make a difference, it was far too light for what I had asked. £90 down, I left with wrecked, half green hair. This was 2 years ago, I'm still growing it out & about 6-7'' of it still feels like straw :(

Ah but did you tell them you had Henna on your hair?

Ah but did you tell them you had Henna on your hair?

No, I found out about the bleach pushing it further into the shaft after the catastrophe! but all said & done she still should have done a strand test, although I'm not blaming her completely of course not. After it'd happened she was like 'erm what' & said she'd no idea what had happened so she must not have known either. Booking in for my first trim in a year & a half soon...scared! All of my ends snapped off so it's only just reached a length where I'd still be happy with the length after a trim...want my long, luscious hair back :)

I'd once booked for an eyebrow wax. I arrived at the salon early but when I got there the therapist said, "Well we forgot to warm the wax up this morning so I'm going to tweeze your brows instead, is that OK?". I said not really as I'd booked for a wax, can I not re-book? She then got very arsey and said, 'well, you're here now, we'll have to charge you a cancellation fee' so I reluctantly agreed for them to be tweezed. And they were all wonky!
This was around 10 years ago. If someone had tried to pull that one on me now I'd stand my ground! If it's something you learn as you get older it's not to be a doormat!

I went to one of the top salons in town, with my mum and sister, and got a pamper day. IT WAS AWFUL!

the therapist i had, firstly i didn't even know she was a therapist as she didn't wear a uniform, she just had a t-shirt on and a waistcoat( i asked for a senior therapist, seeing as i know my stuff, i wanted it to be good)

Firstly she started my manicure, where she did nowhere near the right amount of cuticles, a rubbish had massage. Then she said that she would do my french manicure whilst i was getting my facial( i don't know how? surely you cant get the right angle for that)

Then with my facial, she put on a clay mask and STEAMED my face???? so obviously the mask didn't set, and i felt disgusting, the mask wasn't removed properly, all down back of my neck, and whilst mask was on she did the manicure( i kept peeping through the eye mask, and what a mess, she keep using her fingers to clean the edges, but it was such a mess!)

and to finish a rubbish treatment ,the massage, she barely touched me, and i believe she only knew how to effleurage and nothing else,- oh apart from push hard up and down on my spine..grrrr paid near £200 for that mess :(, never went again, and make sure no one else does either.

I've ad many bad hair experiences over the years.

My first one was going to a salon in town to get my hair coloured blonde, as I had been doing in for about 3 years by myself( yes I know!) and came out with bright yellow hair like eminem. I got home after walking all the way through town and on the bus to my mum to tell me they should of put a toner on it. I had to go to school the next day aswel with yellow hair. I was only 15 so I didn't really want to say anything as I didn't want to cause a fuss but thinking back they let me walk out like that!!!

Another one whilst pregnant with my son I went to get a trim, fringe and blowdry etc. well I come out looking identical to viv Windsor of emmer dale. I have the Buffon back comb style at the top, curled out at the ends and a rolled up fringe. I couldn't believe it. My sister and mum peed themselves laughing and kept telling me I look like viv. Every now and again she still calls me it. It was awful!

My last horrible experience was a Brazilian. It was the most painful thing I have ever experienced, left hairy and bruised and couldn't walk the next day.i was in that much pain. There wasn't enough aloe Vera gel and sudo cream to sooth that soreness :(

I can't go to hairdressers anymore as I can't find a good one, who will cut my hair like it needs to be. I have a bob which is now grown out but every time I go to get it cut, it's either wonky, one side has chunks missing out of it and it takes me ages to grow out again.

I had the worse set of eyelash extensions ever. What did I expect at £20 full for a "full set"
On first appearance at my door I should have sent her away but I'm far too polite.
They took approx 30 mins to apply, on trying to open my eyes they were stuck fast for 5 mins and stinging so bad. On finally being able to open them and peering through my stinging eyes I looked like I had spiders hanging off my face. On her leaving I had to cut them with scissors as they were so uneven and there was so much glue the lashes were heavy and my eyes stinging. The next day I had to wear mascara on them to look semi decent before heading into town to get them removed by a therapist who looked at me in horror!!!!! We finally got them off after some time due to the glue.
Actually really worrying that someone can offer this treatment.

OMG...was it marketed as a moggy massage...I cant believe you didnt say anything at this point, lol xx

Haha! Should become a new treatment ;-) I was that baffled by what was happening that I couldn't think of anything to say even if id of had the guts :p

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek

Wow some really bad experiences i've just read through, it really gives our professions a bad name, but does make you think about how do you perform and could it be improved?
Anyway my worst are Shellac manicure which was anything and everything but CND Shellac and my nails are now in a poor condition and
others are not actually the treatments themselves but the pushy selling techniques throughout which really spoilt the experience itself and made me feel uncomfortable x

I once went for a re-style in a well known chain of hairdressing salons. It costs a bomb, the stylist turned up late, still a bit drunk from the night before, was abrupt and rude and couldn't finish the cut because he obviously was so hung over. So got handed over to a junior to do all the finishing off post cut (although I paid for a senior stylist) When the junior finished he flashed the mirror around and I didn't get a good look at the back.When I got home one of my housemates said, "You do know you have a massive chunk out of the back of your hair don't you?"

The drunk stylist had obviously had a slip up! I went back to the salon to complain - they accused me of cutting the chunk out of my own hair to get a refund!! Logic??

Did she acknowledge this and do anything about it? If a client told me something was hurting id stop and make relevant adjustments!

All she said was " Do you have sensitive skin":eek::eek: Me thinking to myself .."Erm well it will be if I have any left on my face by the time you've finished."

For my sister's 50th Birthday party, I decided against my better judgement to "treat myself" and get my lashes done and nails rather than do them myself.

Walked into a fairly nice looking salon, english girl behind the counter which I was relieved about, I dont know which salons in town are NSS (please dont shout, I not accusing every non english salon of being NSS)
Yay they could fit me in so off I rush to put a ticket on the car only to walk back in and english girl calls into back and out comes a little oriental lady :eek:
Asked if I wanted gel or L& P, I decided on gel OVERLAYS as my nails were a fair length only because I do L & P but had never had gel so curious. I'd ask for french with a little bling, just maybe a stone on the ring finger!

Not sure if she understood me as the first thing she does is cut everyone of my nails off, then buff the life out of them. She then puts on natural tips, followed by 3 layers of very uneven clear gel. Her piece de resistance was a french paint, my white tips were halfway down my very chunky nail beds, with a guady glitter line. I looked like I had mans hands.

Lashes may save the day? oh no, I left the salon with spiders. I'd asked for party lashes ( a little nervous to go the whole hog after the nails)
No consultation for either treatment, the lashes were put on with semi permanent adhesive (they didnt know I was a therapist) when a girl sitting waiting asked how long they last and how to get them off the answer was about 4 weeks and use baby oil!!

I was due to go to House of Fraser for make up, embrassed I rocked up looking like an aging transvestite, poor make up lady wondered what had walked in until I explained through teary eyes. She did the best she could on my now very aching eyelids and I went home, spent the next hour filling down my ( well don't know what to call them) and painting them with my beloved Shellac.

Woke up to very uncomfortable eyes and spent the first two hours the next morning trying to remove them.

Haven"t had a treatment since

And yes guilty, I paid the salon and left without saying a word!!

After my therapist had decide what massage I needed (!) she did the back massage using the same light effleurage movement for most of the treatment. She didn't ask if Id like any more pressure etc to which Id of said Yes! Lots!

So im listening to the washing machine on spin cycle when her cat comes bursting into the room. I like cats but not whilst im having a treatment. She says 'oh do you like cats?' and even though i love them, i didn't want it sitting and looking at me from up under the face hole. So I said not really im more of a dog person. She didn't say anything and carried on.

5 mins later the cat jumps up onto the bed and snuggles down on the back of my legs on the back of my knees...she didn't remove him so after a few seconds I let her know, in case she hadn't seen the big ginger moggy, that the cat was on my legs and wriggled a bit to try to get it off. She giggled and said 'oh that's jack, he's very friendly'...and left him to it. So there he stayed for the rest of the treatment coz i didn't have the balls to tell her to get him off. Good job I secretly liked cats or wasn't allergic. Should have said I was allergic!!

You've got to be kidding?:eek: Blimey that's unbelievable and so unprofessional. On the other hand you could have come to my house and had a massage. My four cat's would be very happy chilling out on the massage couch with you. hehe

I once went for a re-style in a well known chain of hairdressing salons. It costs a bomb, the stylist turned up late, still a bit drunk from the night before, was abrupt and rude and couldn't finish the cut because he obviously was so hung over. So got handed over to a junior to do all the finishing off post cut (although I paid for a senior stylist) When the junior finished he flashed the mirror around and I didn't get a good look at the back.When I got home one of my housemates said, "You do know you have a massive chunk out of the back of your hair don't you?"

The drunk stylist had obviously had a slip up! I went back to the salon to complain - they accused me of cutting the chunk out of my own hair to get a refund!! Logic??

That's shocking. :eek:

Having had years of bad acrylics I saw a sign in the local salon advertising acrylics for £10 - new technician had joined the team and was offering an introductory price.
She was very pleasant and from her appearance I was confident that I would come out with a nice set of L&P. prep was all good although her application was a bit lumpy but I thought she would file it all down and smooth. We had a little file and shape but not enough to give me a nice shaped nail. This was followed by her painting on the white tip. The line was all uneven but I assumed she was going to clean the line up after. But nope that was it. She appeared very happy with her set of nails that looked like a 4 year old had had a go. Needless to say all the nails lifted the next day and back I went to the bad place I used to go to.
How do these people offer these treatments for money or even get invited in to a salon, surely that's bad for their reputation.

Latest posts

Back