Extended hyponychium

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wellyb

Reaction score
I have a client who comes to me regularly for shellac every two weeks. When she first came She has the most beautiful nails, with long nail beds. Her nails grow very quickly, and she doesn't like to wear them long. When she first came to me she had gel overlays applied by a local reputable salon, they use Brisa. I applied Shellac and gently buffed the Brisa each appointment until it had grown off. Her nails are in Great condition except she seems to have developed an extended Hyponychium which is a real problem for her as she wants her nails very short, I also do her cousins nails who has the same problem, both of them seem to have developed this since having Shellac??

There's absolutely nothing wrong with an extended hyponychium :)

Get your client and her cousin to apply solar oil under the nail 2x a day but don't touch it... It's very sensitive.

Two of my clients have it and though they see it as a problem because they can only cut their nails so short, they have beautiful natural nails! I believe that the model for geeg's famous Solar Oil picture has an extended hyponychium.

Xxx

There's absolutely nothing wrong with an extended hyponychium :)

Get your client and her cousin to apply solar oil under the nail 2x a day but don't touch it... It's very sensitive.

Two of my clients have it and though they see it as a problem because they can only cut their nails so short, they have beautiful natural nails! I believe that the model for geeg's famous Solar Oil picture has an extended hyponychium.

Xxx
Thanks for your reply. They already do use solar oil twice a day Hun.
I'm not saying there is anything wrong with it I'm trying to ascertain why this has developed since wearing either the overlay or shellac, and it is a problem for both of them as they like their nails much shorter than they are now able to wear them

Have you tried doing a search on here? I just had a peek and found one all the way back in 2005!

http://www.salongeek.com/nail-geek/23322-nails-extended-hyponychium.html

Xxx

Thanks again, I've read lots of threads on this they make interesting if somewhat a little conflicting reading.

From my understanding; it's your bodies way of trying to help support the additional length on your nails after prolonged enhancement wear.
I may be wrong though.
Its actually something I have on a few of my nails.

Sent from my LT15i using Tapatalk 2

From my understanding; it's your bodies way of trying to help support the additional length on your nails after prolonged enhancement wear.
I may be wrong though.
Its actually something I have on a few of my nails.

Sent from my LT15i using Tapatalk 2

I think that is true and I was taught that also. When I wore enhancements I had this under most of my nails. Once I stopped and they were shorted the hyponychium retracted. Now they are naturally longer its started to come back but not under all the nails and mild compared to before. X

I think that is true and I was taught that also. When I wore enhancements I had this under most of my nails. Once I stopped and they were shorted the hyponychium retracted. Now they are naturally longer its started to come back but not under all the nails and mild compared to before. X

Yes I've read that too and as her cousin had enhancements for a long while I could understand this, but she has only ever had one gel overlay then shellac, and we always take her nails as short as we can. I also read about filing too short can make the hyponychium thicken, maybe I'm causing this but I always try not to get too close to it as it is painful

I have this and have never worn any kind of enhancement. It caused issues when I wanted to go to college to do beauty as they were demanding I cut me nails so they weren't longer than my fingertips and would not believe that I couldn't without it being really painful. My thumbnail in my avatar is as short as I can cut it.

Hmmm......Did they both have Brisa that grew out rather than being removed completely? Im wondering if the stress point in the nails growing down as the Brisa moved down could cause the hyponychium to grow to give the nails support. Most likely completely off base with that one though xx

I have exactly the same and I have worn enhancements for more years than I care to say lol, when I was a teenager I bit my nails and when I stopped biting them, grew some length and then had enhancements, within 6 months it happened. I always put solar oil under my nails and find it does shrink it a bit I'm used to it now but it's a pain if sculpting on them.

I have exactly the same and I have worn enhancements for more years than I care to say lol, when I was a teenager I bit my nails and when I stopped biting them, grew some length and then had enhancements, within 6 months it happened. I always put solar oil under my nails and find it does shrink it a bit I'm used to it now but it's a pain if sculpting on them.

I remember being taught to tailor forms to fit around extended hyponychiums and wishing my nails techs had all known that one. The sting of the form pulling in when it had L&P on it! I just didn't know until my training it didn't need to happen!

Can you post a pic? I did a thread on this a few years ago as one of my clients had the same. I had done her nails for a couple of years and we had gone from liquid and powder enhancements to bio sculpture overlays. Fine for about 18months and then we had this problem of extended hyponichuim. Now I've seen extended hyponichuims before but this was different it was thicker too. Nothing like an infection and was all checked out too. In the end we stopped all treatments for a few weeks and it returned to normal. When we tried again the problem came back. As I thought it was some kind of reaction to the gels so had to cease all gel treatments :( client then informed me that she used to be allergic to gels years ago! She never told me that in her initial consultation! I'm sure your client is just suffering from the annoyance of longer hyponichuims and as all other posts say solar oil is the best thing. But I thought I would let you know of my particular experience incase it sounds similar.

Can you post a pic? I did a thread on this a few years ago as one of my clients had the same. I had done her nails for a couple of years and we had gone from liquid and powder enhancements to bio sculpture overlays. Fine for about 18months and then we had this problem of extended hyponichuim. Now I've seen extended hyponichuims before but this was different it was thicker too. Nothing like an infection and was all checked out too. In the end we stopped all treatments for a few weeks and it returned to normal. When we tried again the problem came back. As I thought it was some kind of reaction to the gels so had to cease all gel treatments :( client then informed me that she used to be allergic to gels years ago! She never told me that in her initial consultation! I'm sure your client is just suffering from the annoyance of longer hyponichuims and as all other posts say solar oil is the best thing. But I thought I would let you know of my particular experience incase it sounds similar.

Thanks for that info Hun. I didn't take a photo but will when she returns in two weeks

Whoops, just realised I spelt hyponychium wrong throughout my entire post! :smack

I remember being taught to tailor forms to fit around extended hyponychiums and wishing my nails techs had all known that one. The sting of the form pulling in when it had L&P on it! I just didn't know until my training it didn't need to happen!

That's what I do I use the clear nsi forms and then trim them to the right shape for me, no problem then :)

Last edited:
I found this thread while searching the internet to find out why I have the type of nails I have. I have an extended hyponychium (just learned that word) and, as much as I would love to wear my nails short - even with my fingertips - I cannot do it because I have skin that grows under some of the nails. Before she cuts my nails, my manicurist checks under each nail to make sure she isn't going to cut the hyponychium. When I asked her about this she told me that she learned in school that about 10% of people have nails with an extended hyponychium. This does not occur on all of my nails but only on about half of them. The same is true for my toenails. My mom has nails like mine and so do both of my daughters. I also have quite a long nail bed so that my nails always look much longer than I want them to look. I love the look of a short, chic nail but, alas, that is not to be for me. My manicurist says there's nothing that she or I can do. She has pushed down the hyponychium. That hurts. She's never cut it and, after reading this thread, I know why. Thanks for elucidating this issue for me.

Latest posts

Back