11 year old with red hair

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JuZz'<3

Reaction score
My grandma's friend has just had a boob job, so she calls and says
JUZZ I WANT SOMETHING NEW TO BRING OUT MY YOUNGER KICK ASS SIDE
(she's only in her 60's so in my eyes, she's still young, and she has a out going, spontaneous personality)

we agreed on putting some red flashes through her natural dark brown hair
so I called in this morning to do it.. she loved it! I loved it!

half way through it developing, my uncles new girlfriend walked in with their son, and her daughter (from previous)
well I don't have a problem with children, I adore them, even trying for a family myself... but this child really gets me annoyed, shes very 'spoilt' the sort of, I WANT NOW, or I will stamp my feet, kick, cry and scream till I am heard sort of child.

She saw the red, and told her mum she wanted red hair (shes got naturally blonde hair) her mum asked me if I would do it...
I said no!
1) my insurance wont cover
2) shes 11!
3) if I colour it now, she will be having it coloured for the rest of her life!
4) what would school say?!
5) my reputation!! no way am I letting her saying 'Oh Justine did it' for people to think bad of me!

it turned into a bit of a argument in the end, because she was crying saying 'it wasn't fair' and her mum was mad that I had 'upset' her by saying no!
my grandma was on my side,
but Im feeling a little down about it really, since leaving my grandma's I cannot stop thinking about it.. how can 'family' react in such a way? how can any Mother in the right minds think its OK for a child to scream and cry and get their own way...
how can any Mother even think Red hair on a 11 year old is suitable?

do any of you think I was being a bit harsh?
what would you of done?!
:rolleyes:

I don't think you were being harsh, she is an 11 year old child! In my book I want doesn't get and I am a mother of an 11 year old girl too! If my daughter acted like that, she would have no chance of getting her hair done. At the end of the day it is up to the mother if she is happy with her daughter getting it coloured red. Like you say your insurance wouldn't cover you and the mother should have stopped the conversation at that. Don't beat yourself up! x

At the end of the day, she will just take her daughter else where to get it done.

Sounds like lazy parenting to me. It's easier for them to say yes to their child's every whim rather than spend the time and effort to teach them boundary's, responsibility and that you can't just stamp your feet and get what you want. The poor child is in for a shock IMHO

You do come across parents and children like this now and again and I must say it absolutely infuriates me ,i don't have any kids yet but do have 8 neices ,i can not stand spoilt kids and ignorant parents how are thay going to learn that you have to work for what you want and also some things you just can not have as a child :-D

Sent from my LT18i using SalonGeek

They disrespected your professional opinion in order to pander to the whim of a spoilt child. Then they tried to make you feel bad about it.

Why are you questioning yourself?

I think it's bad the mother let her child go off on one over your choice, personally I have no problem colouring family's children as long as its off the scalp, iv done a cousins daughters hair every half term or summer holiday since she was 3, I only use semi's, colour mousse or bleach on her and I don't see a problem. She usually chooses bright pink or green, it's nice for them in holidays and I know it can be washed out before school(except bleach, but it is natural so they can't say much and it is only a few parting foils), but I do deny any other children under 12 colour, and 12-16 are allowed over holidays only unless they have made a mess with box colours. It's your business, and like you said reputation and therefore your decision on what you do and don't do not the clients or a screaming brat. Xoxo

Thank you for all your opinions, I think I mainly questioned myself because they are family, and we're all a very close family that would bend over backwards for each other.

I agree Tomme, if she was saying 'can you highlight my natural blonde' I would of probably done it, my sisters 12 and decided she wants highlights so I've said I will do it. I just didn't like the thought of a child, sat in school next week, with bright red hair :/ xx

Maybe next half term volunteer to put some red in as a semi for her and give them a sample of deep cleansing shampoo to use the night before school? Xoxo

I'm not a hairdresser, (beauty), but think you have already answered your own questions here - so stick with your professional standards xxx

Maybe next half term volunteer to put some red in as a semi for her and give them a sample of deep cleansing shampoo to use the night before school? Xoxo

Maybe... If we've patched things up and speaking by then! Haha family's are the worst :( X

my 10 yr old had fire engine red lights in her hair... and 6 days later is was out.... pink and faded trashy I would def not do a whole head of red on anyones kid or my own.... so were back to brown for school... mind you i put them over her grown out highlights! so they were going to have to be colored anyways! <3

Latest posts

Back